Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#571   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 18:04

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
New Dr Fung talk from Low Carb Breckinridge now posted on YouTube.
A New Paradigm of Insulin Resistance:
https://youtu.be/eUiSCEBGxXk

Also, a few of his blog posts have been published on Medium.com
This one on Reversing T2: https://medium.com/~drjasonfung/tow...es-9f693f964f90
There is another on the lack of evidence for Calorie Restriction.

POWERFUL video!!
I think this video + Sarah Halberg's one could be a great "one-two punch" to share with folks!
Love how he got really passionate at the end; you can tell this means a lot to him.
Sponsored Links
  #572   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 19:02

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Wow! I'm convinced.

Jean
  #573   ^
Old Mon, May-29-17, 06:38

BF:

One of the most important aspects of this talk is how Dr Fung shows with data that before a person gets the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes or prediabetes, the regulation of insulin and blood glucose is already faulty and has already been faulty for years. This is the same point Dr Kraft was making with his massive data set. This means that eating in a way that restores normal functioning should not just be viewed as a treatment for diabetes but as a preventative measure beneficial to everyone.

Jean
  #574   ^
Old Mon, May-29-17, 07:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Back in 2012, Dr. Lustig wrote in Fat Chance "Diagnosing metabolic syndrome is all about assessing the fat in the liver" ALT is easy to assess and most doctors get nervous when above 40. Then Lustig wrote "recent data argue that even an ALT of 25 predicts liver fat" Mine was in the 20s, now the low teens. My lab uses a 0-32 normal range, other labs vary a bit from that. [but I remembered these few short sentences because it was the first time I had seen "optimal" numbers for liver function. Like other doctors saying BG is optimal below 100, or Trig/HDL should be a ratio of 2, or better 1, Lustig provided a number to aim for]

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, May-30-17 at 04:52.
  #575   ^
Old Mon, May-29-17, 07:21

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

There are many paths to a fatty liver, there are probably many paths to recovery as well. Low carb style eating pattern seems to be one. It maybe a good idea to re-frame one of the possible causes of obesity as a liver disease or abnormal condition that may be addressed early, or at least tried. Tying it to ALT markers might be a good first clue for "some" type of malfunction. You'll see two lines below in a chart, both are demarcations indicating abstinence or restriction from particular compounds, alcohol and carbohydrate...

From Dr. Fungs Deck

From my Deck

Last edited by thud123 : Mon, May-29-17 at 08:08.
  #576   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 04:46

A-Maz-ing graphs, Thud! What a journey to good health.
  #577   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 05:17

BF:

obviously the first change was the most significant but the some of markers continued to improve after the plateau between the red lines. When you sited ALT as being a marker I was interested in looking at this historically, at least for my case, which, might be unusually
  #578   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 05:22

BF:

Thud - Did you use the changes in these markers to adjust your diet or did you simply switch how you were eating and the markers improved as a result or is it something else? What I guess I am asking is if you were actively tweaking your diet as a result of this blood work or if you made a global dietary change and simply watched what happened or perhaps a combination of the two or something else entirely.

Jean
  #579   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 05:50

BF:

I did nothing to try to manipulate the data, nor did I try to let it affect me (difficult tho as it was so encouraging). The first part of my journey I was trying to put off death for a while longer so the alcohol stopped (July 2014) I did "eat better" and lost some significant weight right after that for about 6 months. After realizing I was getting better and not going to die right yet I began to live and eat "normal" which was A LOT - and that A LOT consisting of lots of rice and rice noodles, chana dhal and the like. Then in Sept of 2015 I was tired of being so fat that I couldn't get on my paddle board as easy as I liked, Have you ever seen an elephant seal trying to getup on a rock - I visited a friend that had low carbed before and he gave me his take on it. I figured I try it and see what happened. Now I'm here. There was not diagnosis of "pre diabetes" or "high cholesterol" - only some edema and hi BP from substance abuse (liver damage) that was being addressed using diuretics. No more of those now, diuretics, not liver damage; I EARNED that one

So, the short answer to the question would be "I simply switched what I ate and the numbers changed." That's why I call this easy, I didn't really even DO anything. It just happens.

The tail generally doesn't wag the dog I guess. Create a dog, a tail grows and eventually starts wagging itself without the dog even knowing it. Creating the dog is the hard part
  #580   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 05:59

BF:

Interesting Thud. As a general rule I don't chase numbers either, except for blood glucose and ketones, and even there I've backed off considerably. My thinking is that I can rely on diet since I'm convinced that my low carb eating is the healthiest way to go. Or maybe I'm just lazy. In any even it seems to be working. You've done good.

Jean
  #581   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 07:46

BF:

Thanks Jean We can be lazy together. It works!
  #582   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 12:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for posting the graphs, Thud. The change you made in July of 2014 appears to be your first major commitment to achieving health. Then going LC shows in your ALT measurements as promoting a long, steady descent. I, too, don't like to be a numbers geek once I feel I'm on the right track. It should be easy, and you're right, LCHFKD is as easy as it gets for me. Whether I'm eating at home or on the road, I can always find what I need, or not when there's nothing healthy to eat. Easy this way to skip an unhealthy meal rather than risk eating crap. When I'm IFing, it doesn't get any easier.
  #583   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 14:33

I'm still blown away by some LCHF success stories. We have our own success stories, Ken, Thud, Grav and many more who proportionally lose amazing amounts of weight, but this chap from Melbourne is jaw dropping. The 2 Week Challenge from Diet Doctor, the Ditch the Carbs Recipes, and add Dr Jason Fung's Intermittent Fasting!
https://www.dietdoctor.com/minus-16...mittent-fasting
  #584   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 21:18

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Hello! Good News!

Janet, firstly thank you so much for your support. I have gone quiet, but am still drawing breath and am feeling great. There is no evidence that the ovarian cancer has returned, and my appetite is improving and my energy levels are too. I am taking ASEA, liquid herbs and other supplements to get my bowels working regularly (please excuse me).

Thud: I fully understand the quitting alcohol. I stopped drinking last April, before diagnosed with oc. I just felt ill and could not put my finger on it. LOL. My weight plummeted by 7 kgs when I quit drinking. I am holding steady at about 130 lb now. I DO have a glass of wine or three on special occasions, (anniversary, etc) but I hate the morning after. My liver does not love wine, but my taste buds do.

I fast for three days every month just for the housekeeping. I continue to eat LCHF. And I have started on milk kefir which I am hooked on.

I did start to get very very sore joints overnight. I would wake up in intense pain so am getting to the bottom of that. Um, my blood tests may indicate inflammation so I have reduced the Ribraxx to see if that was the cause. My Rheumatoid Factor is negative, but my Anti DNA measures suggest SLE whatever that is. Retesting in a month.

Other than that, a cheery g'day to everyone on this forum. I enjoy every day and am grateful for the life I have.

Thanks again for this forum. I follow Dr Fung and will listen to some updated vids and podcasts.
  #585   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 21:42

BF:

Good update on the good news! Thank you Mintaka.