Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 23:27

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, Ruth. I haven't talked to you in awhile, but I saw your stats and just had to come in and say -- Did you have a Super Whoosh??? I think you're six pounds lower than just a day or two ago. (Perhaps just catching up with updating your stats) Whenever they disappeared, six pounds is six pounds. That's wonderful.

I also wanted to comment that you give me comfort -- you've written a couple of times that when you get off schedule, the day goes badly. That's my biggest challenge too. It's getting a little easier (and at least if I don't have any non-LC food in the house, I have to really think about it and walk someplace to get Bad Food) but it's still a challenge.

It looks as though you kicked the chocolate mousse habit, though
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 02:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Hi Alto

Hi Alto, and thanks for checking up on me. Yes, 6 lbs are gone, how do you remember the numbers? I sure can't remember other people's numbers!

No whoosh, just the 6 lbs I lost during the 4 weeks of the V2 project and just updating the stats now. I'm quite pleased, it is now an even 50 lbs gone! Woooo Hoooo! I really wanted to hit the 50 lb mark before Christmas and I've done it. My family and friends are amazed by my progress. One good friend says, quote: 'Nothing else ever worked for you, but this {LC) is!'
They are supportive and never say anything negative. Lucky me!

Alto, you are definitely not alone in the wonky day/schedule thing. Sleeping in and not having my usual omelet for breakfast is the beginning of a lazy food day. That's exactly what it is with me: laziness. Everything I eat is LC legal, it is just the amounts that are way skewed.... and then to add insult to injury, I usually don't bother to eat any veg.

I've been LCing for almost 9 months now and feel I can do this without too much advance planning, but the amount of planning and effort required to do the V2 group project surprised me. The fact that I was pushing myself to increase my work hours to full-time during this project was a definite factor in my brief appearances on the board.

Alto, I've been reading your journal nearly every day, just no energy to post and tell you how well I think you are doing. Congrats on increasing your water intake and at least planning to increase the veg. Buying the veggies is the first step. When you have had enough of eating tired veggies or throwing them out, you'll get better at the execution of the plan: actually cooking & eating 'em. If you ever try a lean protein only day, you'll find yourself yearning to have vegetables! You won't have to force yourself, can you imagine? LOL

Do you know, I was planning on making one of those tasty but nasty-to-the-weight-loss-effort choc mousse things tomorrow. Your comment has made me re-think that. Maybe I should just get on with some Christmas LC baking for me and my diabetic dad. I've got lots of recipes that use cream cheese in other ways

G'nite,
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 09:54

BF:

Hi, Ruth. I dont remember everyone's stats, but I remember yours. Partly because you helped me when I first came, and partly because we have the same start weight, so you're the embodiment of my Bad Conscience I used to restart diets every three months, for some reason -- January, April, July, October. So if I'd kept on the April one, I'd be where you are now

It is definitely laziness. Being a freelancer, I can lead a lazy life. I'm not lazy in my work. This past year, I've written a 200,000 word book! I put out a newsletter and a magazine and do the business as well as the editorial work, I moderate a message board (not weight related) and I do odd jobs to pay the rent. I work ten hours a day seven days a week. So I'm not completely lazy. But everything else is a wreck. My apartment is messy, I'm messy, my menus are messy I had to laugh about throwing away vegetables. It's a sin, isn't it? But I sin regularly.

Have a great week. I'll bet it's a relief to be finished with the Journal Project, useful as it must have been.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 11:29

BF:
Default Week 4 Day 7 Sun Dec 16 Reg LC

Last day! OMG, Thank you, this was the last day of the group project.

Food eaten: nibbled on throughout the day:
1.5 cups raw almonds,
2 mock danish
90 grams s/f beef jerky
2 oz cheddar
5 tbspn peanut butter
10 oz roast beef, .5 c gravy/juices

Total: 3144
Fat: 233 2094 67%
Carbs: 75 165 5%
Fiber: 34 0 0%
Protein: 213 852 27%
Cals/lb: 13.38

Winter monsoons today in Vancouver: very windy with driving rain. Since I didn't have the courage to go out in the weather, I cocooned all day. I've got lots more errands today tho'
One of those errands to get some crunchy veggies. The lack of veg in my diet is due to lack of veg in the fridge.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 11:48

BF:
Default Measurements

Ok, I promised measurements etc when this project was done:

................Nov 19................Dec 17

Weight..........241 lbs...........235 lbs
Bust...............48"..................47"
Ribcage..........41.5................40.5
Waist.............44...................42.75
Hips...............48.5................47
R&L Thigh......27.5.................27
R Calf............17.25................16.75
L Calf.............17.5..................17
R&L Arm..........15.5................15.25

6 more lbs gone, I'd call this project a success for me, but it was tough to do 2 sets of lean protein day followed by Calorie Boost day. I'll post my thoughts another time.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 11:58

BF:
Default Alto, you're too funny

Quote:
Originally posted by alto
Hi, Ruth. I dont remember everyone's stats, but I remember yours. Partly because you helped me when I first came, and partly because we have the same start weight, so you're the embodiment of my Bad Conscience I used to restart diets every three months, for some reason -- January, April, July, October. So if I'd kept on the April one, I'd be where you are now

........I had to laugh about throwing away vegetables. It's a sin, isn't it? But I sin regularly.

... I'm the embodiment of your Bad Conscience? As in you're being bad and I'm the Good Conscience? As you know from reading the V2 Project journal, I'm part of the Tuff Luv Tag Team so I should have the qualifications to be your conscience.

When you look back, you'll be glad you were able to stick with the October 'diet' ...er... WOE plan. October was the perfect timing for you to start your new way of life. You probably weren't ready to reform yourself sooner.

My sins of disposing of tired veggies have happened less frequently while lowcarbing. Before LCing, I sinned lots! LOL

Gotta run & make that breakfast omelet, then lots of errands to do. Have a great day, and remember, no Cokes allowed Alto!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 12:14

BF:

Yes, of course, I mean YOU are the good conscience, but also a kind of physical embodiment of what I could have been, etc. etc. Yes, I'll be glad eventually. Years from now If I live that long Seriously, I remember vividly when I quit smoking how furious I was at myself that I didn't do it sooner, because it was so easy. (Easier than this, by far. Quitting smoking was a one-time decision. It's much easier to stop doing something than to actively do the right thing minute by minute through the day.) That lasted two years. Then I forgot how dumb I had been and was just happy that I finally got smart

What's a Coke?

Have a great day, Ruth.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 19:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

hi Ruth,

Congrats on finishing the project, and congrats on the 6 lbs! Awesome

I agree with you that it was difficult to do the 4 alternating days of lean protein fasts followed by the calorie boost with the dairy and green veggie restriction. It was a good challenge though, and I think everybody ultimately learned a few things .. such as you can eat a lot of meat, natural fat and veggies and still not be eating too many calories or carbs, but once you start adding in the nuts, cheese and dairy .... zoom, way over the top.

Alto, great wisdoms there ... I'm especially going to hang onto your parting thought .. the one about forgetting how dumb you were and just being glad that you finally got smart. Thanks

Doreen