Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-17, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/310/185 Male 69"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default What will I be missing when I cut carbs? (

This is my first day back on the low carb wagon. I've been here before, many times. But I didn't have this mindset. Something has kicked in and I have finally realized I can't eat carbs anymore. Call it rock bottom or whatever it is when someone realizes they cant take another drink or a smoke or a pill. I can't eat another sugary treat or several slices of pizza or bowls of pasta ever again. This is what I will be giving up when I cut carbs...

1. Always pulling my pants up because my waist is huge and my hips are much smaller.
2. Breathing heavy after I eat.
3. Not being able to see my feet when I look down.
4. Not being able to put my socks on by myself.
5. Not getting cramps in my back while I try to reach around with toilet paper.
6. Waking up with neck sweat in the morning.
7. Feeling like I'm in a coma after I eat.
8. Not covering up in front of my wife when I get dressed.
9.Lying in bed at night wondering if I'm going to die from a heart attack.

There's more. But you get the point.

Anyway, I'm back at it and if I can help anyone, please let me know.

Last edited by pitfall21 : Mon, Feb-13-17 at 16:51.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-17, 18:08

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Pitfall. At the risk of being presumptuous, I'll offer some observations that have been helpful for me in addressing addiction (since you framed it that way):

"I can't eat another sugary treat or several slices of pizza or bowls of pasta ever again."

1) You CAN eat all the sugary treats and mounds of pizza you like. Most of us have proven this over and over. It's not very helpful to think you CAN'T do something.

2) "...ever again" is a long, long time from right now, right this moment. Now is the only time you can do something about your future.

As long as you don't have some cake, pizza or other sugary treat stuffed into your mouth you're heading in the right direction. Relax, be calm and practice letting go of your worry about the future, and even the great hopes you listed. They may or may not come. Just string a bunch of NOW together and see what happens.

I hope you find this info useful. It has been given in a helpful spirit. We don't really know what the future holds for us so let's do what we can now and embrace whatever comes, good and bad - there will be both.

Welcome back to a way of eating that gives you a respite to work on your mind without being a slave to an "addiction".
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-17, 01:59

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Oh yes, we have all been there, think I thought this at first too but that didn't last long. Now, just think of all you can have! All the wonderful foods we CAN have, it's awesome really. There are so many good things about this woe, so many positives heading your way and yes, we can have it all. Giving up sugar to get our lives back is a very small price to pay. Sugar is poison, I am convinced of that. Best of luck to you~
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-17, 11:40

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

Welcome back! Go down a few threads and read some of the non-scale goals. So many things to look forward to - as well as a healthier YOU! One minute, one hour, one day at a time - you can and WILL do this!
I wish you much success!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-17, 02:45

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would suggest just focusing on what you can eat rather than what you can't. As Thud says, it's easy to fall into a negative mindset when you think too much about what you're missing out on. But on the other hand, think of all the other things you can eat that you might previously have been told were "bad". (Insert fatty dish of choice here. )

It gets easier once you've cultivated enough good eating options; with enough time the old urges will fade...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-17, 07:16
Registered Member

BF:

Well 4 days in. My bloat is gone. Last night I slept all night for the first time in weeks. Like I mentioned I know I'm in this for the long term so my mindset is different than previous times that I tried this WOE. Appreciate the encouragement. Have a nice day!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-17, 12:17

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hey pitfall21, I'm rolling thru the "Tripple Digits Club" recent posts and at least pinging some of the folks that have dropped off as far as the posting/logging on the site goes. I hope you are on your way back to health!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 02:03
Registered Member

BF:

Well sad to say...after about a week and a half I couldn't take frying up more eggs or chewing on meat. I think that's why you lose weight. Because you can't stand the food anymore...lol. I don't know how to last past a couple of weeks. No matter how motivated I am. Having said that, I am considering another go at it. Only because I don't get bloated on it, and I have 100+ pounds to lose. That's my update!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 02:26

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

"Because you can't stand the food anymore" LOL!!
I wish that were true . I have such a problem with portion control even when eating on plan. I do veggies and tightly control protein amount, and don't have a problem with the veggies except the portion size, which by itself can increase blood sugar no matter how OK the fibrous veggies are.
I read through this whole page, and I love the list of 9 things in your first post. Thats really motivational!!
I wanted to echo Thud, I've never found reviewing what I CAN'T eat very useful. I have a mantra when I do start the pity party, and that is that I say to myself: "Self, you have eaten enough gallons of Ben and Jerry's and bags o' reeses etc. for 2 or 3 life times, thats why you are where you are now and there is nothing "unfair" about it. So woman up (I say to myelf) and recognize what you CAN eat,and be grateful -- there are people out there who have more restricted diets than you do" 'and not only that you have a lot of good health and mobility to work with!!" So, thats how I get myself on track, although I still REALLY struggle with the portions of good things issue. Hope you can find food you enjoy and get back on board -- lots of recipes available in the recipe drop down as well as on the internet -- needs some shopping to have the stuff available. All the very very best,
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 10:34
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Mama Sebo,
I re-read my list again. It was hard to read because it's still true. Actually a little worse as I weigh about 10 pounds more now. I want to hop back on the LC wagon, but I hate giving up all the time. I haven't eaten yet today, so I could start again. I need to really understand what breaks me before I start again. Thanks for the support.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 10:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sebo
"
I wanted to echo Thud, I've never found reviewing what I CAN'T eat very useful. I have a mantra when I do start the pity party, and that is that I say to myself: "Self, you have eaten enough gallons of Ben and Jerry's and bags o' reeses etc. for 2 or 3 life times, thats why you are where you are now and there is nothing "unfair" about it. So woman up (I say to myelf) and recognize what you CAN eat,and be grateful -- there are people out there who have more restricted diets than you do" 'and not only that you have a lot of good health and mobility to work with!!" So, thats how I get myself on track, although I still REALLY struggle with the portions of good things issue. Hope you can find food you enjoy and get back on board -- lots of recipes available in the recipe drop down as well as on the internet -- needs some shopping to have the stuff available. All the very very best,

I too practice gratitude for what I can eat that allows me to be healthy. Why feel bad about not being able to eat foods that are toxic to me? It's a really helpful attitude to nourish so you get both brain nourishment from this positive attitude and body nourishment from a low carb way of eating, win win.

Jean
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 19:24
Registered Member

Stats: 308/285.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfall21
This is my first day back on the low carb wagon. I've been here before, many times. But I didn't have this mindset. Something has kicked in and I have finally realized I can't eat carbs anymore. Call it rock bottom or whatever it is when someone realizes they cant take another drink or a smoke or a pill. I can't eat another sugary treat or several slices of pizza or bowls of pasta ever again. This is what I will be giving up when I cut carbs...

1. Always pulling my pants up because my waist is huge and my hips are much smaller.
2. Breathing heavy after I eat.
3. Not being able to see my feet when I look down.
4. Not being able to put my socks on by myself.
5. Not getting cramps in my back while I try to reach around with toilet paper.
6. Waking up with neck sweat in the morning.
7. Feeling like I'm in a coma after I eat.
8. Not covering up in front of my wife when I get dressed.
9.Lying in bed at night wondering if I'm going to die from a heart attack.

There's more. But you get the point.

Anyway, I'm back at it and if I can help anyone, please let me know.

I love it! I'm giving up watching my family ride the coasters at Universal that I won't fit on (or am afraid to try for fear I won't fit AND will be embarassed). I'm also going to give up looking for a big enough chair when I sit down. And I'm going to give up being afraid that if I slip on the ice and fall I won't be able to get myself back up.
You are right - we have to give up A LOT if we want to be low carb
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-17, 12:15

Plan: ketogenic/VLC
Stats: 522/456/399 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi Pitfall! I am back here again too. This time something feels different for me as well. I,wrote a long post in my journal being brutally honest with myself hoping I will re read it before I go off plan. I understand the food boredom. I totally get it but right now I'm more worried about the future life boredom if I continue to let my weight dictate what I can and cannot do! Hope you get motivated again soon. I know how much better I feel when eating LC. It Litteraly the only way I lose pounds and the only way my bloating and aches and pains go away. You can do this! And there are lots of folks here who are willing to help! Best of luck!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-17, 12:38

Plan: ketogenic/VLC
Stats: 522/456/399 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 54%

Sorry. Double posted somehow.

Last edited by Mrs.K : Fri, Jun-23-17 at 13:21.