Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-07, 10:26

Plan: Atkin's Induction
Stats: 218/208/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Oh, please share! I haven't been able to find low sugar ketsup or BBQ sauce, and I miss both!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-07, 10:28
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiKitty
LOL, you're so naughty! But you know what, when I drink plenty of water, I find I am also more likely to lose weight;-) Water is so amazing!

Yeah well.......there's not much choice when you are camping and you're NOT the cook. But yeah, water....good stuff.

Quote:
How was camping? Did you have a blast?

It was so great. I loved it, and we had so much fun, but most of all, I got to relax alot. Woot!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 12:15

Plan: Atkins -- high fat
Stats: 172/154/136 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Kitty, Here is the low-sugar BBQ sauce:

Sugar Free BBQ Sauce

From Laura Dolson,
Your Guide to Low Carb Diets.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Almost all commercial barbecue sauces are loaded with sugar. Most I've seen have 16-30 grams per quarter cup, but I've seen them as high as 44 grams! It doesn't have to be that way. This one has a secret ingredient - diet cola. It's best to use one sweetened with Splenda, but any will do (aspartame tends to lose its sweetness when heated for long periods).
INGREDIENTS:
• 2 strips of thick bacon, chopped fine (or see note)
• 1 small onion, minced
• 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
• 1 can (12 oz) diet (sugar-free) cola - Splenda-sweetened preferred
• 1/4 cup low carb (sugar-free) catsup, (or see note)
• 3 T mustard
• 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 pinch ground cloves
• Hot sauce to taste
PREPARATION:
Note 1: If you prefer to leave the bacon out, add 1-3 teaspoons of liquid smoke, to taste, near the end of the cooking. Alternatively, add some smoky flavor using 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, or chipotle powder to taste.

Note 2: If you can't find low carb catsup, leave it out, but add about a tablespoon of vinegar and some sweetener, to taste.

1) Fry the bacon in a saucepan - a 2 qt pan works well.

2) Add the onion and cook over medium until soft - 3-5 minutes.

Add garlic at this point if you're using fresh and stir it for half a minute or so.

3) Add the rest of the ingredients, plus about half a cup of water. Stir well. 4) Simmer for 20-30 minutes. It will cook down a bit and flavors will combine. 5) Adjust the seasonings so you have the balance you want - you can add vinegar, artificial sweetener (liquid preferred), or hot sauce. (If it's too hot, adding more sweetener will tone it down.)

The recipe makes approximately 10 servings of 1/4 cup each. Each serving has about 3.5 grams of carbohydrate plus 1 gram of fiber.
Updated: May 28, 2007
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 12:19

BF:

... and, just because I like you so much, here is one for ketchup. They're from Linda Sue's recipe site, and the notes are hers:

Better "Heinz" Ketchup
6 ounce can tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
5 teaspoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix all ingredients well. Be sure to add the spices. They are important for that "Heinz" flavor.
Makes 1 1/3 cups

UPDATE: Check out my new Even Better "Heinz" Ketchup recipe. I think it's much better than this version. (Kitty, following

EVEN BETTER "HEINZ" KETCHUP
6 ounce can tomato paste
8 ounce can tomato sauce *
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
1/16 teaspoon allspice
1/16 teaspoon ground cloves
1/16 teaspoon cinnamon
1/16 teaspoon garlic powder
Mix all ingredients well. Keep refrigerated.
Makes 1 3/4 cups or about 28 tablespoons
* I used Hunt's tomato sauce but be sure to read the label. They sometimes add sugar to their sauce.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 20:19

Plan: Atkin's Induction
Stats: 218/208/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Oh, thank you thank you thank you!!! *adds ingredients to shopping list* Do you know how many carbs are in the ketchup?

*dances a happy dance because she can have ketchup and BBQ sauce again!*
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 10:19

BF:

Here's for the first one:

Made with granular Splenda:
1 tablespoon: 7 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
1/4 cup: 30 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
1 cup: 111 Calories; trace Fat; 6g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 24g Net Carbs

Made with liquid Splenda:
1 tablespoon: 7 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
1/4 cup: 28 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
1 cup: 105 Calories; trace Fat; 6g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 21g Net Carbs

And here's for the 2nd one:

Made with granular Splenda:
1 tablespoon: 8 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
1/4 cup: 31 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1.5g Dietary Fiber; 6.5g Net Carbs
1 cup: 124 Calories; trace Fat; 5g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 26g Net Carbs

Made with liquid Splenda:
1 tablespoon: 7 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
1/4 cup: 28 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 7.5g Carbohydrate; 1.5g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
1 cup: 113 Calories; trace Fat; 5g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 23g Net Carbs

I finally had a chance to try some Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup (formerly called Heinz One Carb) and wanted to get as close as I could to creating a good copycat ketchup. My biggest stipulation was that I didn't want to have to cook my ketchup. I wanted it to be just as easy to whip up as my previous recipe. I think I've come pretty close to the Heinz. The main things that are missing in my recipe are the deeper, cooked flavor and the excess salt. I decided not to try and copy the saltiness since I thought the Heinz was overly salty. I used 1/2 teaspoon salt, but feel free to try up to a full teaspoon if you want yours to be as salty as the Heinz. I like the consistency and flavor of this version much better than my Better "Heinz" Ketchup. Adding tomato sauce made all the difference. Even if this isn't identical to the Heinz ketchup, I think it tastes very good and I'm happy with the flavor.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 10:19

BF:

This is her Web site. She has recipes, notes, and lots of pictures of the dishes. Have fun!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html