Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 20:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298.2/216.5/150 Female 64 inches
BF:definately....
Progress: 55%
Question Problems with heat?

I came pretty close to a heat stroke this afternoon. I had to spend about an hour walking in relatively high heat (it's upper 80's, low 90's, and hasn't been that hot up until now). I've always been pretty susceptible to problems with heat, but this came on really, really fast, and at temperatures a bit lower than I expected -- and if I hadn't found a spot to lie down, I know I would have passed out (which probably would have scare the crap out of the kids I was with!) I had already drunk at least 1/2 gallon of water, and drank another quart while I was on the floor before I came home. I've probably had close to a gallon since then, and I still feel pretty crappy.

Breakfast was relatively light -- an Atkins breakfast bar and a small coffee -- and this all happened around noon. The only other thing I did today that was unusual was take a diuretic. The Dr had given me a script about a month ago, and told me to take one in the morning if I was having a problem with edima, and yesterday I was. (She also suggested I might start taking them regularly in addition to the other blood pressure medication, but I'd rather not.) So this morning was the first time I ever took a diuretic, and I don't know if extra problems with heat might be one side effect -- I'll call the pharmacist tomorrow to talk to him about that.

In the mean time, is having problems with heat something that any of you have while following an LC eating plan? If it is, is there anything I can do to make it less likely? Or will I just need to be extra careful about exertion when it's hot out?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 21:06
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Marie,

I would be willing to bet that the diuretic you took had something to do with it. I am very sensitive to heat also, and if it's high 80's, low 90's as you described you should probably be drinking water as you're walking, not just before and after, ESPECIALLY when you are taking a diuretic.

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 01:33

Stats: 432/370/220 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Necesary minerals gone

Hi Marie
I would say its more the diuretic than just the heat alone.sometimes when I use to drive straight thru for 3 or for days my legs..ankels ..and feet would swell realy bad...My X wife was a nurse so she would have some diuretics that I would take...They were very effective at getting the excess fluid out of my system...but the problem is that they take out all the neccesary minerals from your body too...especialy Potassium...No potassium means feeling shakey..light headed...Heart flucuations...REALY BAD FEELING...they also can cause real bad leg and foot cramps...I tried several differnt brands some were not as rough on your body as the rest..but I dont remember their names...Buy some Potassium gluonate(its real cheap) and a good multi viatamin and take these on the days you take your diuretic...this should help..also try to use them on days you dont have much planed..I would have to be near a bathroom cause I would have to Urinate like every 10-15 mins...Good Luck...Big John
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 06:32

Plan: LC Lifestyles Plan
Stats: 333/240/190 Male 6'0"
BF:31.5%/26.95%/8%
Progress: 65%

I agree - this is probably caused by the diuretic. You may want to check - most blood pressure medications are diuretics, and this WOE also acts as a diuretic. You may have been affected by 3 different forms of diuretic, which could have caused low blood pressure, or possibly even dehydration due to all the water shedding. I would also follow Big John's advice about the minerals.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 07:28

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Yes, I would agree with the other posters. I used to take a diuretic for a medical condition and heat and exercise don't mix well with diuretics. You are just losing too much potassium and other minerals. Good luck!

Orchid
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 07:50
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

It takes a while to get used to them, too. Your body may have been overwhelmed by the combination of meds, water, heat and not enough food.

Regarding the potassium, I know it's a good idea for lots of people, but not those taking certain types of blood pressure medication. Talk to your pharmacist first!

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 10:57

Stats: 290/230/130 Female 65 inches
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie H
I came pretty close to a heat stroke this afternoon. I had to spend about an hour walking in relatively high heat (it's upper 80's, low 90's, and hasn't been that hot up until now).

I cannot vouch for dieuretics (although other people here can it seems). But I do live in CA and can vouch for the heat here. What I do is take my walks in the evenings around 7:30PM - 8:00PM. I personally cannot do a walk in the day out here or else I'd collapse from the heat or with major heat stroke.

Charlie Girl
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 12:21

Stats: 298.2/216.5/150 Female 64 inches
BF:definately....
Progress: 55%

Thanks, everyone. I am still feeling uncomfortable this morning: a bit light headed and generally week. I think I'll have to try taking one of the diuretics on a "normal" day, and see how I feel: if I feel like crap, I may not be able to take this one, even if I'm having a serious problem with edima. I'm hoping that will go away as I lose weight. I will also make sure to take extra minerals. (DH wonders if there's a low-carb version of Gateraide available? I hate the stuff -- I'd rather take some pills and extra water!)

I was drinking water as much as I could while I walked, but since I was also pushing a cart and watching several children -- young enough so I had to hold hands -- it was harder. I'm going to have to do the same thing next Sunday, at the same time (between 11:00 and 12:00), exactly the same route, but I'm going to try to plan different adults to maybe see if there's a way to split it up, and certainly eat a better breakfast and see if I can find time this week to buy one of those shoulder-holster thingies to carry my water bottle, to make it more accessible while I walk. I'll also wear lighter weight clothes, even if it means I have to wear the sort of almost-professional stuff I don't usually wear to church. This Sunday, I had the option of going straight home as soon as I felt strong enough to drive and taking a nap (and having DH feed me . . .) Next Sunday, I won't have that option: I will have one meeting from 1 to 4, and teach another class from 4 to 6, so I have to find a way to make sure I don't risk getting this sick again! (To say nothing of the fact that passing out in front of the kids would probably scare the crap out of them.)