Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-18, 08:27

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Joe Rogan Experience with Dr. Joel Kahn and Chris Kresser L.Ac

A slightly tedious 3 hours and 47 minutes, but in the end I thought it was worthwhile.

The debate is alive and well despite advancements in knowledge and testing. ED caught my attention because no guy wants to go there but vegans and vegetarians swear by a plant based diet for arterial health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULtqCBimr6U
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-18, 15:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Saw a few comments about this debate on Fathead FB. The 4 hours was non-starter for me, but someone posted in their comment:
"Unfortunately, it isn't until more than 3 hours into a nearly 4 hour podcast that Dr. Kahn (vegan) admits he does not advocate tying to get all essential nutrients from food and that to be vegan, one must supplement. To me, this is the single biggest argument against being vegan."
Summed it up for me. Was there a good wrap-up at the end?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-18, 18:33

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Really interesting to watch and hear the different studies they referenced.

I also discovered my way of eating is considered Paleo
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-18, 19:46

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Saw a few comments about this debate on Fathead FB. The 4 hours was non-starter for me, but someone posted in their comment:
"Unfortunately, it isn't until more than 3 hours into a nearly 4 hour podcast that Dr. Kahn (vegan) admits he does not advocate tying to get all essential nutrients from food and that to be vegan, one must supplement. To me, this is the single biggest argument against being vegan."
Summed it up for me. Was there a good wrap-up at the end?

Unfortunately the wrap wasn't all I had hoped for. Kahn stuck to cholesterol and fat clog the arteries and plant based nutrition is superior in every way. (He's been vegetarian for 40 years) Erectile dysfunction and heart attacks are the result of all the fat and cholesterol.

Early on one point Kahn made paraphrased was; "cholesterol bumps into your arteries and does damage and then you have to go see him to get a stent".

Chris Kresser cited many current studies and disputed just about everything Joel Kahn cited for many reasons so from that perspective it was interesting.

Someone else could give a much better review, but in the end you have two intelligent people who have reviewed study after study, understand the American diet is broken and needs fixed but disagree of how to do it and how to interpret the studies up to this point. That was a little mind blowing.

They did agree eating whole foods is better than SAD which most of us know by now.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-18, 06:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Chris Kresser published a summery of his main points with links to supporting articles and research:

Why Eating Meat Is Good for You

Welcome, Joe Rogan fans! On this page, you’ll find a summary of the topics discussed on the September 27th, 2018, episode where I debated Dr. Joel Kahn on the health impacts of eating meat. You can watch the replay here. You’ll also find links to articles, resources, and scientific studies relevant to the debate. Enjoy!

https://chriskresser.com/why-eating..._source=klaviyo