Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 11:26

Plan: keto
Stats: 107/110/115 Female 172 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default no period..

Hi.. i was told i had PCOS when i was 16.. (now i`m 18).. back then i had 65 kg at 1.68m.. i was prescribed some birth control pills (diane 35 and spironolacton) which i took regularly for 9 months.. after i stopped using them my period just stopped..
Basically it has been 6-7 months since i hadn`t had my period.. i`m starting to worry.. i went at the doctor and he said to keep taking the pills.. but.. if i keep taking them .. wouldn`t i go back to where i started.. ?
From what i understand.. birth control pills are hormone .. by feeding the body with hormones... he simply forgot how to produce them anymore.. correct? don`t i want my body to learn how to do them again?
My mom says that if by january my period doesn`t come.. we`ll go to the doctor.. but i don`t want to start taking pills again.. that`s why i started low carbing.. i heard it might help. Now i`m 50kg at 1.72m.. I actually want to gain some weight now.. about 5kg.. but that`s not my main concern.. i just want to have my period back..

Any input.??

(sorry if my english isn`t the best.. i`m from europe)

thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 15:03
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety009
Hi.. i was told i had PCOS when i was 16.. (now i`m 18).. back then i had 65 kg at 1.68m.. i was prescribed some birth control pills (diane 35 and spironolacton) which i took regularly for 9 months.. after i stopped using them my period just stopped..
Basically it has been 6-7 months since i hadn`t had my period.. i`m starting to worry.. i went at the doctor and he said to keep taking the pills.. but.. if i keep taking them .. wouldn`t i go back to where i started.. ?
From what i understand.. birth control pills are hormone .. by feeding the body with hormones... he simply forgot how to produce them anymore.. correct? don`t i want my body to learn how to do them again?
My mom says that if by january my period doesn`t come.. we`ll go to the doctor.. but i don`t want to start taking pills again.. that`s why i started low carbing.. i heard it might help. Now i`m 50kg at 1.72m.. I actually want to gain some weight now.. about 5kg.. but that`s not my main concern.. i just want to have my period back..

Any input.??

(sorry if my english isn`t the best.. i`m from europe)

thanks

You probably need to go see a reproductive endocrinologist to get an accurate diagnosis and make sure the ovulatory dysfunction is from the PCOS and not something else (like being underweight or a problem in your hypothalmus).

The birth control pills are an effective way to keep your periods regular - not because you're ovulating, but because they stimulate your body to shed the endometrial lining each month when you reach the inactive pills.....going too long without a period isn't good since the endometrial lining gets too thick and can cause other problems - that's why many prescribe birth control pills in those with PCOS - but they don't make PCOS go away, they just relieve the problem of excessive buildup of the endometrial lining.

Please go see a doctor who specializes in this stuff - it's important for your future health (and fertility if you want to have children).....your lack of a period could be from the PCOS or something else - you need to find out for sure, OK?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 07:34

Plan: keto
Stats: 107/110/115 Female 172 cm
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the advice.. i had PCOS.. but i don`t have it anymore.. i did my tests.. the only thing that`s wrong is that i simply don`t have my period.. i`m so frustrated.. i think i`ll go next year and see a different doctor..
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-07, 13:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 372/236.6/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Maybe I might be wrong but I don't think you can actually be 'rid' of PCOS - just the symtpoms.

Your doctor may be able to put you on Provera to jump start your periods but unfortunately women with PCOS are never guaranteed that our periods will stick around without the BC pills. Chances are you could take the Provera, get your period and voila! they will start coming normal every month again, but there is also the chance that they won't. I recommend seeing a good endocrinologist to pinpoint what your problem is.