Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 13:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%
Default High cholesterol and fertility meds.

So here's the question: I have been cycling IVF about every other month for the past year and a half. I have recently transferred to a new clinic which required me to have my cholesterol tested (among lots of other tests). My results were (I handed in my job requirement tests):
My cholesterol was 287 mg/dl
triglycerides 44
HDL - 94
LDL calc -185 mg%
non HDL cholesterol 194

When the new RE saw the cholesterol results she commented that I had better get the levels down, because cholesterol levels do go up when pregnant and may be dangerous. Here is where I lost her and could not understand if she said it would cause an aneurysm or a blood clot.

Anyway, I Googled a bit and did come up with the fact that cholesterol levels do rise during pg and during breastfeeding.

So - questions -
1. Why would this be dangerous? The liver is producing more cholesterol in response to pg hormones, to supply for the fetus/infant, no?
2. Since the test was done right after a failed cycle, could the meds have artificially created a higher level - the liver was responding to the meds (among them hcg and progesterone) as if I were pg and produced more cholesterol. I know that I usually gain a lot of weight each cycle, up to 3 dress sizes (thanks to Atkins I lose most of it after failed cycles), could the higher cholesterol be a part of it?

I could not find anything on fertility meds and cholesterol levels.

Thanks for addressing my concerns.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-12-10, 07:33

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Your total cholesterol is high, but then again, so is your HDL. I'd not really worry about those numbers too much. Check out the stickies in this thread. I'm not the cholesterol guru, but I'd say with your triglycerides that low, and your HDL that high that the total means nada.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-10, 18:59

I read the stickies, I found nothing in them about pregnancy cholesterol levels and potential risk. I am not worried about heart disease, I know the numbers are good for that.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-10, 16:12

Default Is there cause for concern?

Quote:
The researchers discovered that women with high cholesterol levels were more likely to have premature babies, babies who were born before 37 weeks of gestation. Twelve percent of African-American and white women with high cholesterol gave birth prematurely.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar..._pregnancy.html

Quote:
Mothers with high levels of blood cholesterol could increase the risks of developing potentially life-threatening pre-eclampsia, say researchers
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/463042.stm

Quote:
maternal hypercholesterolaemia during pregnancy induces changes in the fetal aorta that determine the long-term susceptibility of children to fatty-streak formation and subsequent atherosclerosis
http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/136C2A.htm

Quote:
Higher fasting cholesterol and insulin levels in mid- to late pregnancy are associated with increased risk for pregnancy-induced hypertension.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10192230

Studies on Serum Total Cholesterol, in Second and Third Trimester of Pregnancy
Quote:
The results showed that the pregnant women had significantly higher concentrations of serum total cholesterol.
http://www.banglajol.info/index.php...viewArticle/712

Quote:
Pregnancy may negatively impact on HDL cholesterol
http://www.lipidsonline.org/news/article.cfm?aid=9361
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-10, 17:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondacop
I read the stickies, I found nothing in them about pregnancy cholesterol levels and potential risk. I am not worried about heart disease, I know the numbers are good for that.

I'd suspect the information is bad. Health professionals say all kinds of stuff this is baloney. If you can't find anything on the Internet about it, it's likely a load of crap.

As far as the quoted articles are concerned. Pre-eclampsia is linked to poor blood sugar control, which is linked to high triglycerides. Your triglycerides should be fabulous on low carb, so I doubt there's really anything to worry about.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-10, 10:29
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'd suspect the information is bad. Health professionals say all kinds of stuff this is baloney. If you can't find anything on the Internet about it, it's likely a load of crap.

As far as the quoted articles are concerned. Pre-eclampsia is linked to poor blood sugar control, which is linked to high triglycerides. Your triglycerides should be fabulous on low carb, so I doubt there's really anything to worry about.

Also pre-eclampisia, premature births, and pregnancy induced hypertension are all preventable with vitamin D3 supplementation and healthy vitamin D levels.

As a bonus, healthy vitamin D leves/D3 supplementation promotes fertility in women and sperm production/motility in men.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-10, 19:22

I did find a lot on the net, I just don't understand a lot of it. I found some info on vitamins A and E but not D. The following show that Cholesterol is very important to those trying to conceive:
HDL and fragmentation (embryo quality) in ivf is a negative correlation, the more HDL the less embryo fragmentation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2799562/

This one was very interesting:
Quote:
In ovarian follicles, non‐vascularized granulosa cells are in direct contact with the follicular fluid, but are separated from thecal blood capillaries by the basement membrane. This barrier behaves like a molecular sieve, which allows passage of protein in inverse proportion to molecular weight, but paradoxically not in inverse proportion to molecular size (Shalgi et al., 1973). In addition to this, in mice, this barrier has been found to be both charge‐ and size selective (Hess et al., 1998). Thus, a very specific composition of follicular fluid can be observed in mammals with molecules of lower molecular weight such as albumin being present in follicular fluid and higher molecular proteins are excluded (Andersen et al., 1976). In consequence of this observation, VLDL/LDL are excluded from the transfer and only HDL are present in follicular fluid of humans as shown in our study and by others (Simpson et al., 1980). Thus, only carotenoids and α‐tocopherol associated with the HDL fraction can be recovered in the follicular fluid as found by selective precipitation of the VLDL/LDL fractions of plasma lipoproteins.

Quote:
Both vitamin A deficiency as well as excess results in congenital defects in the embryo

Quote:
Although we were not able to find any differences in the concentration of carotenoids, retinol and α‐tocopherol in plasma and follicular fluid between women with different fertilization successes, a striking observation was the variability of the FF/P ratio of the investigated components in follicular fluid of women in which no pregnancy was established was double the one observed in those women in whom IVF treatment resulted in pregnancy. This would be supported by the observation that due to the molecular sieve of the blood‐follicular fluid barrier in healthy follicles only HDL are present (Jaspard et al., 1996). In cases of follicle and oocyte hypermaturity, however, VLDL and LDL particles can be detected. This indicates a disturbance of the molecular sieve causing differences in steroid metabolism that might negatively effect oocyte development (Volpe et al., 1991).

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/18/6/1259.long

This one I did not have access to:
Quote:
Cholesterol, being the starting point of steroid hormone synthesis, is a long known modulator of both female and male reproductive physiology especially at the level of the gonads and the impact cholesterol has on gametogenesis. Less is known about the effects cholesterol homeostasis may have on postgonadic reproductive functions. Lately, several data have been reported showing how imbalanced cholesterol levels may particularly affect the post-testicular events of sperm maturation that lead to fully fertile male gametes. This review will focus on that aspect and essentially centers on how cholesterol is important for the physiology of the mammalian epididymis and spermatozoa.

http://www.nature.com/aja/journal/v...aja201064a.html
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 01:08

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

If you ever wanted there is Berkeley Heart Lab, the place that does advanced testing to see if the "high" cholesterol is really a detrimental variety or not. I expect if you thread search you'll finds pros and cons on it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 17:53

cbcb, could you be more specific? I was not able to find more than what I posted (and I am still not pg )
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-11, 12:20

Plan: dontknowyet
Stats: 166/160/150 Male 510
BF:
Progress:
Smile Hi sondacop and shalom ..... RE: Fat Head the mobvie

Hi sondacop !
how are you ?
i saw fat head and loved it, was unable to find a version with Hebrew subtitles, tom mentioned to me as well (by email) that it was aired in Israel, but i was still unable to find copy 0 record on line for an hebrew sub version.

Do you know where i can find it ?
Thanks in Advance,
Aaron.

by: sondacop
Sun, Jun-06-10, 19:09
Yes, thanks for bumping!
I'd like to buy a copy with Hebrew subtitles. Tom mentioned in this thread that it was aired in Israel, I didn't even hear about it. Does anyone know where I could buy a copy with a translation?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 11:29

Try this:
http://yes.walla.co.il/?w=2/7802/1393622
You might also like
http://www.documentary-log.com/d208...people-not-fat/
King Corn and Food inc, are good ones too!