Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 04:57

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%
Default does anyone else find it frustrating!

I basically started low carbing when I was allergy tested, white flour, yeast and sugar were some of the main items! - hello LC

Now I realise I am sat at work with a slight headache - so just swallowed two nurofen.. and bam 20 minutes later allergic reaction, whites of my eyes are going bright red and my hands itch like crazy! oh and now the feet too!

So I guess the sugar on the nurofen tablets is the devil....

ARGH!!!!

Anyway just fancied a moan really wishing I hadn't taken them as I feel crappy now and will for most of the day unless I can get a few hours sleep on between..

Sarah xx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/142/140 Female 5.7 inches
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Poor you

Sorry to hear you are suffering. I've never been allergy tested as I've been very sceptical of the accuracy of the results but since going LC I have felt so much better - no brain fog, wake up before lunchtime and even have energy sometimes - wow!

Sounds like your reaction is pretty severe. Perhaps next time get some ibuprofen from Boots that don't have a coating?

Get well soon
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:20

I went off nurofen for ages and stuck to paracetamol and dispirin, but last weekend and today I took some nurofen - and found out the hard way...

At least I know I am able to add it to my huge list of things not to eat!!

Th eworst food at present is no olive or olive oil - I just feel so horrid after eating it and 1 olive is all it takes.... damn shame...

Anyway thanks for the sympathy still feeling rough stomach way bloated, have had lunch (hot chicken and salad) but need a lie down really to sort myself out, waiting on my collegue moving his car so I can leg it for a bit!

What a pickle I am in today

The allergy testing came about because I suffered from hugely bloated stomachs for years - to the point that I couldn't do up my trousers from one minute to the next!

It never truely went away and a friend knows a herb lady (all qualified) so I got tested for basically anything and everything, food and alcohol... and teh results were amazing!

no diet coke, marmite, white flour, white sugar, grapefruit... loads of stuff.

So for someone who drank a diet coke a day with her bread sandwich my body was in overload.

The day I saw her I haven't looked back - apart from this espisode I haven't had one for about 2 years!!

Anyway sorry I digress Thanks for the thoughts very much appreciated at the moment

Sarah
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 08:34
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

nurofen, is just ibrobufen and you can get it without the sugar coating!! just incase you wanted to know!! god I would hate to have a reaction like that scarey!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 08:35
Yo-Yo

oh and I cant spell either lol
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 12:20

Stats: 260/142/140 Female 5.7 inches
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Shock - Horror!

Wot - no Marmite?!!!?? You poor thing - is life really worth living?

Empathy on the olive front - I have horrible reaction to black olives - even a few bits in posh bread once sent my gut into horrible cramp. Just to be safe I also steer clear of green olives - though I did try a few recently when eating out with friends without any problem. I use lots of olive oil though without any problem.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 13:56
Yo-Yo

ick yuk yuk blah!!! I hate olives I have tried to eat them in so many different forms and I just cant get away with them I think they are an acquired taste!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 04:30

ha haa thanks guys! I think I am ignoring the nurofen completely for a while (as I used to have it no problem!), the cheaper soluable dispirin from sainsburys did a treat on my stonker of a hand over Sunday morning so cannot complain

yeah totally bummber on the marmite but then considerng I used to eat it with white bread and butter, and the bread is out - its not too bad!

Diet coke was another one..

But hey when I stick to it I feel great! So it is worth it just trying to get my head round it all and the way everything fast food is geared to flour!! and bread and chips...

Anyway off to sainsburys at lunch time to get some cooked chicken and salad!

Thanks for the thoughts today guys

Oh found some liquid multi vitamins although not sure whether to try them just incase so I will be looking into that

Sarah x
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 05:48
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sarah,

It sounds to me to be much more likely that you have now developed an allergy to the ibuprofen itself, rather than the sugar coating.

It is a sad fact that we can develop allergies at any times, so just because you have had it in the past, does not mean you can safely take it again after such a reaction. I would discuss it with your doctor the next time you see him or her. Taking it again could have serious consequences.

Cheers, matey.

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 05:52

Hi Rosebud, thanks I did wonder about that. Anyway I don't intend to take it again so that isn't a problem. If I remember I will tell the doctor but I won't be seeing her for a while! Anyway at least I am finally figuring out what is causing this....

Thanks

Sarah
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 07:55
Yo-Yo

wow never gave that one a thought!!! This is why I like the forum lots of heads are definatly better than one!!!!

Anyhow sarah how is the weight doing?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 09:06

still coming down, although I felt like a carb binge today and yesterday I have resisted so friday will tell (as that is my weight in morning....)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 11:17
Yo-Yo

well done you!! resisting the carbs sometimes is a real battle!! just take one day at a time, and if you feel the urge to pick grab a peperami or a bit cheese anything but carbs!!! (hark at me giving out advise when I had been so bad!!) I just wanna get as much of before xmas so that if I do gain it isnt as bad!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 02:55

heh I have done rather well, so far resisting rather well....
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 03:08
Yo-Yo

keep resting and you will get there!!
well done and keep up the good work!!