Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 09:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 124/122/113 Female 62 "
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Post-menopause and need to lose 10lb

I am 5 years post menopause. During the last 3 years i gained about 10lb. I started Atkins 10 days ago. I do no see much of weight loss yet.
I would appreciate any advice from post-menopausal dieters on this forum.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 09:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

You are already at a weight that is considered perfectly healthy for your height plus you have lost 1 pound in 10 days which is perfectly normal for someone who does not really have much weight to lose. The best thing you can do is either be patient and wait and see what happens or learn to accept a few more pounds on your body. As long as you don't continue to keep gaining there's really nothing to worry about. Low carb real food is a healthy way to eat whether or not you are losing weight.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 10:46

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hi Joanna and welcome to the forum.

At 5'2" and 123 lbs, your BMI calculates out to be just 22.5 which, according to everything I've ever read puts you smack dab in the middle of the "HEALTHY weight range."

Just FYI, most sources say a person with a BMI below 18.5 is underweight; a person with a BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 is at a healthy weight; a person with a BMI between 25.0 and 29.9 is overweight; and BMI over 30.0 indicates obesity.

Of course BMI calculations are not perfect and there are many other factors that determine health.

I'm sure gaining 10 lbs over a 3 year period is distressful, especially if you're always been very trim. But I can't help wondering if perhaps you're not stressing overmuch about a perfectly natural and possibly healthy weight gain.

There have been studies showing that "all cause mortality" for those past age 65 is actually LOWER for those carrying a little bit of "extra" weight than for those who are thinner. I know you're nowhere close to 65 yet, but gaining a little weight after menopause MAY actually be healthier for you.

Just sayin... don't stress too much unless you continue to gain weight and gain enough to start moving out of the "healthy BMI" category.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 11:52
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Hi Joanna and welcome to the forum.

At 5'2" and 123 lbs, your BMI calculates out to be just 22.5 which, according to everything I've ever read puts you smack dab in the middle of the "HEALTHY weight range."

Just FYI, most sources say a person with a BMI below 18.5 is underweight; a person with a BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 is at a healthy weight; a person with a BMI between 25.0 and 29.9 is overweight; and BMI over 30.0 indicates obesity.

Of course BMI calculations are not perfect and there are many other factors that determine health.

I'm sure gaining 10 lbs over a 3 year period is distressful, especially if you're always been very trim. But I can't help wondering if perhaps you're not stressing overmuch about a perfectly natural and possibly healthy weight gain.

There have been studies showing that "all cause mortality" for those past age 65 is actually LOWER for those carrying a little bit of "extra" weight than for those who are thinner. I know you're nowhere close to 65 yet, but gaining a little weight after menopause MAY actually be healthier for you.

Just sayin... don't stress too much unless you continue to gain weight and gain enough to start moving out of the "healthy BMI" category.

Bevangel,
Thank you for your kind post. I may be in the middle of BMI normal weight, but due to my small frame, i feel really uncomfortable with my weight of 123lb. I addition my clothes do not fit anymore.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 12:39

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Joanna, and welcome to the forum...I hear ya... I totally understand. When I first joined this forum a member asked me why I set my goal so low...I gave the simple answer, BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE I FEEL MY BEST....
I am also way... past menopause and yes, I did have some weight gain as I worked thru that time. However, I am now 6 pounds below my goal, I feel fabulous, I sleep well, I have energy...so my advise to you is hang in, keep on keepin' on.

This is not a race and please, I hope you are not just looking for a quick fix.... It is also a learning experience, for me, I have found that if I stay pretty much at the induction levels of NC, I am good, I am on M(maintenance) so I can of course have more if I chose from time to time.

Best of Luck to you, stop by my J, I love company, you can do this. But as others have told you, it will be slow, you have not got far to go. ttyl,

Last edited by zoogirl : Fri, Jan-19-18 at 13:27.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 13:31

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

PS, I had to cut that message short, the dog was begging to go out...lol

I just wanted to say, that was a comment from ONE member, as for this forum, I could not and would not be where I am without the support and encouragement from the members here. These people have lived this, they have had the ups and downs and they are a wonderful family...

I believe that posting here and chatting with like minded folks helps enormously, it has a way of keeping ya honest...lol

So, I will close now, 'cause this has gone on and on,
Remember one day at a time, celebrate small victories. Hope to hear from ya soon, ttyl
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 15:25
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogirl
PS, I had to cut that message short, the dog was begging to go out...lol

I just wanted to say, that was a comment from ONE member, as for this forum, I could not and would not be where I am without the support and encouragement from the members here. These people have lived this, they have had the ups and downs and they are a wonderful family...

I believe that posting here and chatting with like minded folks helps enormously, it has a way of keeping ya honest...lol

So, I will close now, 'cause this has gone on and on,
Remember one day at a time, celebrate small victories. Hope to hear from ya soon, ttyl

Thank you very much for encouragement!
I will look up your journal!