Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 14:28
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%
Default What Should I Do?

Ok all you smarties I need insight as to should I change up or not?

Plan=Atkins.

Calories=Average 1600-1800 daily

Carbs=30-40 net

Ratios=~10-12% Carbs; 25% Prot; 65% Fat

Rungs--eating from the lower rungs of fruit. Not touching the grain/legumes rungs--a) because wheat makes me sick; b) legumes (most of them) just don't float my boat. Occassionally I'll eat rice tht is surrounding the sushi or a few times a month I'll eat some corn tortillas/corn chips without cravings.

Weight=145; 10 pounds below my set goal and the lowest I've been since my early 30s--I'll be 50 in May.

Cravings=none

Hunger=none

Emotional eating=none (well none right this moment )

Eating schedule=loose IF

Here's the dilemma--if you can even call it one. My goal was 155--last time I even got close to this it was hell trying to sustain. Well, I've hit goal and in the process of the past few months have dropped 10 pounds below--so what's my beef?? None actually, but I'm just wondering I feel like I'm eating plenty of food, obvious that I'm not restricting calories, I'll even throw in one of my favorite frankenfoods a couple time a week. A glass or two of wine a few times a week. The question is, will my body get to a set equalibrium where I don't lose anymore--personally I really don't want to because I don't want to get to the point that I've lost so much I start looking haggy. I don't want to add in upper rungs because I'm afarid that will set off cravings that I might not be able to recover from. Sooo...
what do I do? If anything or should I just sit back andbutton up?

Come on you guys I respect all perspectives no matter what plan you're on.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 15:00
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I dunno know Lisa....are you looking for there to be a problem when none exists?
Are your fears of regain unfounded now? Maybe they are.

You did not mention your BIHRT.....that is also part of your equation.

Only time will tell if you keep losing....you could up your calories each day to about 2000....without adding in wheat that is. Sweet potato is a super food for many.
Dairy for you...greek yogurt? cheese? nuts and nut butters?

I know that you started to bake using flour from legumes? Still? I recall you ohhhing and ahhhing about how good they were. so not all beans are not for you, yes?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 15:22
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I dunno know Lisa....are you looking for there to be a problem when none exists?
Are your fears of regain unfounded now? Maybe they are.

You did not mention your BIHRT.....that is also part of your equation.

Only time will tell if you keep losing....you could up your calories each day to about 2000....without adding in wheat that is. Sweet potato is a super food for many.
Dairy for you...greek yogurt? cheese? nuts and nut butters?

I know that you started to bake using flour from legumes? Still? I recall you ohhhing and ahhhing about how good they were. so not all beans are not for you, yes?

Oh yeppers am I afraid!! You're right maybe there is no problem except in my own head. Just the thought of being where I was last April is enough to put the fear of GOD in me.

I eat my dairy, nut butters and cheese but in mesured amounts.

I forgot about farting cupcakes I need to make some farting spice cakes.

and as far as the bHRT goes, "they" will have to pry it out of my cold dead hand before I stop taking it. You notice I haven't been as snarky the past 6 months--NOT!

I think I'm just going to keep on doing what I'm doing and every day I'll repeat to myself--at this point I'm making something into nothing.

I'm making something into nothing.

Yep! That will be my own silent mantra--I'll have to tell the other voices in my head they have company

As usual Judy--you cut thru the bullshit.

Love you!

and all you others out there--don't be sceeeerd--post your thoughts.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 15:25
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Now that you hit goal and below, how about weight/strength training to firm up areas, create symmetry and define muscle?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 15:31
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowcarb
Now that you hit goal and below, how about weight/strength training to firm up areas, create symmetry and define muscle?

I've been weight training to the limits of a back injury albeit not the hardcore training I was doing the last time I hit goal.

Here is a recent arm picture--definitely not as impressive as your abs, but not too shabby for an almost 50 year old woman. And as my mother commented the other day while I was on the treadmil...damn Lisa, you could bounce a quarter off your ass. You've got to love my mother. She' the first one to tell you look like a hag or you look like $hit

Working on getting that little bit of underhang (I'll have to get a new picture--this one looks like my pits need shaving )
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 15:32
Attitude is a Choice

I just want to say that I too, was terrified when I first reached my goal.....truly terrified!! Thats why I started the maintenance weighin in the first place. I wanted company on the ride.....feel free to join us each week.

But what I also figured out as time went by, is that the eating plan I created as I lost my weight, was the one that I'd be eating to maintain my weight. I think that you've gotten this message also.

You may not like to eat wheat, me too...but I do enjoy a slice of Ezekiel toast when I am being more active. It has a little wheat in it too.

That is also something that I've learned along the way too....the days that I'm more active are the days thet I need and should eat a starch like a slice of Ezekiel or some sweet potato. Days where I'm on my lazy Taurus butt...not so much.

Now that you have a healthy metabolism, maybe it is time for you to up your carb a bit too. some fruit?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 15:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Beautiful, Lisa! Hawt bicep

I would advise you to do nothing. You are eating meat and vegetables, right? This is just my opinion, but grains and fruit won't offer you any nutrition you are not getting now. How about trying a wider variety of meats? Have you ever made lamb chops, for example? Veal breast. I am getting from you post that you are satisfied, but maybe a few recipe changes would brighten things up. No need to add in more carbs, IMO.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 15:37
Every day is day one

BF:

I have a loaf of Eskeial in the freezer--a loaf lasts me year!

Eskeial never gave me wheat belly.

I think this week I'm going to have BBQ bacon portabello burgers with a side of fried sweet potato fries.

EEEk! Imagine being afraid of a sweet potato. It's almost like a bad horror movie--a big ole' sweet potato with legs and x-rays that come out of its eyes!

OK, I'm losing it or the nuclear bean that when you eat it,it produces so much gas, you explode---Euuuuuuuuuw. Alright, I'm done now.

Judy--how'd you like your collards?? Next time do half and half--half collards, half mustard greens.

Last edited by cnmLisa : Sun, Jan-17-10 at 20:56. Reason: spell check :)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 15:41
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Beautiful, Lisa! Hawt bicep

I would advise you to do nothing. You are eating meat and vegetables, right? This is just my opinion, but grains and fruit won't offer you any nutrition you are not getting now. How about trying a wider variety of meats? Have you ever made lamb chops, for example? Veal breast. I am getting from you post that you are satisfied, but maybe a few recipe changes would brighten things up. No need to add in more carbs, IMO.

Oh yeah!

My fruits I stick to blue/black/raspberries.

I eat a plethora of meats--in fact, last night was roasted double lamb chops with a rosemary/lemon/lavender crust and a salad of baby romain and avocado with a blood orange vinegarette.

Tonight--seared scallops on a bed of garlic fried spinach. I hope I don't have to labor someone tonight--it would suck for the patient to have me breathing garlic breath on them all night

I'm making something into where there is nothing. OOOOO....that's kinda metaphysical
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 15:45
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I have a loaf of Eskeial in the freezer--a loaf lasts me year!

Eskeial never gave me wheat belly.

I think this week I'm going to have BBQ bacon portabello burgers with a side of fried sweet potato fries.

EEEk! Imagine being afraid of a sweet potato. It's almost like a boad horror movie--a big ole' sweet potato with legs and x-rays that come out of its eyes!

OK, I'm losing it or the nuclear bean that when you eat it,it produces so much gas, you explode---Euuuuuuuuuw. Alright, I'm done now.

Judy--how'd you like your collards?? Next time do half and half--half collards, half mustard greens.

I loved the collards...it was my first time. It made them with lots of fresh grated garlic, crushed red pepper and evoo....will try that mix next time.
**Forgot to add that I put in a small amount of white balsamic for some tangy flavor.**

You arm looks great to me....even with your hairy arm pits!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 16:02
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I think we are so used to in life making a goal and working toward it, that when we get it, we are happy, but have a feeling of emptiness afterwards. That is completely human.

Think this way, Lisa. What things did you maybe put off until you reached goal? Hobbies or things you wanted to do? Join a club? Learn a new language? Take up knitting? Often times when we focus on something, like earning a degree or losing weight or getting a promotion, other things fall to the wayside.

Maybe instead of changing up your diet, you should change up your hobbies and interests. We all get into ruts, me included.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 16:07
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
I think we are so used to in life making a goal and working toward it, that when we get it, we are happy, but have a feeling of emptiness afterwards. That is completely human.

Think this way, Lisa. What things did you maybe put off until you reached goal? Hobbies or things you wanted to do? Join a club? Learn a new language? Take up knitting? Often times when we focus on something, like earning a degree or losing weight or getting a promotion, other things fall to the wayside.

Maybe instead of changing up your diet, you should change up your hobbies and interests. We all get into ruts, me included.

Not a thing. I'm of the belief that if you put things off, you could be dead tomorrow.

Those threads that have the theme what will you do when you reach goal...

I think to myself, how sad that people put off living their lives until they get to some magical number, but that's just me.

But....maybe there is some sport out there...I wish there was a badminton league in out town--sounds stupid but I loooooove badminton!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 16:12
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I never had to lose weight but when I went ZC, I cured my constant hunger. I felt a loss at first because I spent so much stupid energy in my head on ingredients for my whole foods vegetarian diet, and when I was low carb veg., it was on counting carbs.

I am now in the position, only eating meat, of not having to plan or count meals, etc. I have free time. So I just joined some meet up groups on MeetUp.com to find more girl friends and guy friends who do things I like.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 17:57

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Man if I were in your shoes and didn't want to lose more weight, I'd forget the carb ladder and add more fat. That's what I see some really fit, lean people do and if it works for them...
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 20:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

That's what I do, Seejay; I added 75/25 to my WOE as I need the calories and fat for lifting and I'm not touching carbs.