Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-08-13, 13:23

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 350/327.8/200 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Hello! I had followed Atkins in 2004/2005 and had great success with it losing about 70 pounds and feeling great. As is with life, s&*t happens and I lost a job I loved, had some dating troubles and unexpectedly lost my Dad in early 2006 and not only fell off the wagon but straight off a near by cliff.

Fast forward to 2013. I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life and I'm miserable. What I love most to do, travel, is now too embarrassing and difficult. I'm no longer doing anything I love really. I've withdrawn from friends and most of my family. It's taken me a long time to build up the desire and strength but I am finally more than ready to, "Get busy living, or get busy dying"!

I've been reading a lot of books on Paleo/Primal and have decided that I'm going to approach Paleo with a foot still in the Atkins river. While they are very similar and stripped down are both Low Carb Lifestyles I am going to do a variation. Which is to keep my carbs extremely low ala Atkins Induction for quite a while, all the time focusing on Grass Fed & Free Range animals and eggs while working towards straight Paleo for maintenance for the rest of my life.

I started on 4/29/13 and have already dropped 8 pounds. I'm walking so far 30 minutes a day in the morning which I plan to increase as my stamina strengthens. I'm in it to win it this time folks! I don't see how I could go back at this point ever again.

I know this is going to be difficult - but my heart, mind, body and soul are all in.

So, Hello! See you around!

Luluantics
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-08-13, 14:26

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Hi Lu Lu! Welcome!
Many of us (well me) can relate to your story. You'll find friends here
You should start a journal to track your progress!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 04:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome, LuLu
You have great reasons for motivation and will be successful!

Your plan is easily doable, many here, including myself, do an Atkins induction level but eat real food/paleo. I follow Dr. Westman's plan in the back of Why We Get Fat, but do not use any artificial sweetners nor processed seed oils (make own olive oil mayo). Dairy is very limited, cheese is an occasional treat. No nuts and fruit if trying to lose weight, some if maintaining or a treat. The DietDoctor.com has a great summary of this type of diet, with four expert video explanations, and more weight loss tips in the tab above this page,
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-09-13 at 05:04.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi Lulu!
Welcome! Your story show that you truly have the drive to do this. I will be rooting for you!