Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 20:08

Plan: Dr. Poon Metabolic Diet
Stats: 302/286/185 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default 5 weeks on diet, went into V-Fib heart rate 200+ beats a minute..

Hi, I am new here, my very first post.

I have been doing a low (no) carb, low salt, low fat, metabolic diet for 5 weeks, lost 16.5 lbs 1st 2 weeks, next weigh in only lost 1lb (but gained 7.5 lbs of water & lost 8.5 lbs of fat) yippeee.

Well on Friday my heart started racing, 130 beats a min, went to a walk in clinic still fast and irregular. Sent to to the ER, still 130 at triage (waves of dizzyness the whole time for about 3 hours prior) they hook me up once I got back to see the dr. and it was racing over 200 beats. They had to shock my heart (but me out to do it) and got it in back to normal.

Do you think it was caused by the diet, I took a multivitamin the first 2 weeks, but not for the past while. I actually took a calcium suplement that morning. didn't have any where near the amt of coffee, diet coke I normally have in the past few days. Just started exercising 4 days earlier (just a fit test nothing major)

HELP~~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-11, 07:18

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Woah, girlfriend! What a scary experience! My husband recently went into atrial fibrillation, and it was determined it was caused by a leaky mitral valve in his heart...he is doing MUCH better now, but will need surgery to fix the leak. So I have a bit of a clue as to what you experienced, albeit second hand!

Your diet does make me concerned...not the low carb part, but the low SALT part. We NEED salt to properly function! Good old table salt gives us sodium and chlorine (we don't actually need the chlorine, but it comes along with the sodium!) but we also need potassium, magnesium, and calcium. Any of these elements, combined with a non-metallic element (such as chlorine) is called a SALT. (I'm a chemistry teacher!). Don't shy away from it, you need it.

You are in the GTA, and so have access to all kinds of groovy stores, and can easily get all kinds of salts. Go for the earth salts, the sea salts...they have lots of trace elements in them that our bodies need. You won't be hurting yourself. If you're not particularly mobile, you can even order these things over the web.

Lots of more experienced members will chime in here too I'm sure, esp. about the low fat part of your diet. I eat very high fat, and as a result I am never hungry! My blood work is the best it's ever been too. Don't be afraid of the fat!

Best of luck to you, and keep posting, we'll want to know how you're doing! Think about starting a journal so all of your new friends here can track your progress and cheer you on. Take care!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-11, 08:35

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

An adrenaline rush can do that. What was your diet like before? It could be from not being adapted yet to low carb depending on how big a change it is, and where your body starts from.

If you had run out of blood glucose, and your body was desperately trying to make glucose out of SOMETHING because you aren't having the dietary carb your body is set up to run on, and not keeping up - then the panic state sets in and the adrenaline rush.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-11, 08:47

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The obvious change is the lack of salt, which is not good on a no-carb diet - check out: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...low-carb-pt-ii/
Add exercise in hot weather & you are depleting your salt levels even more.

One thing that has caused my heart to race is decongestants like Sudafed - any chance you took something for seasonal allergies?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-11, 09:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Did they check your electrolytes?

Alarm bells sounded when you said low-salt. You NEED salt on low carb. Your kidneys throw off a lot of water when you low carb, because you don't have your tissues stuffed with glucose, keeping you from retaining loads of water.

You NEED salt on low carb, at least while you're transitioning. Here's what Dr. Eades wrote recently.

Quote:
Electrolytes
The most common cause of virtually all the symptoms listed above is an imbalance in electrolytes. Following a low-carb diet results in a rapid lowering of insulin levels, which – though a good thing – can create problems in the early days. We’ll address the electrolytes in the order of importance.

One of the first things that happens when people go on low-carb diets is a rapid improvement in insulin sensitivity. Because the low-carb diet starts to quickly banish the insulin resistance, insulin levels fall quickly. And as insulin falls, the stimulus to the kidneys to retain fluids goes away, and the kidneys begin to rapidly release fluid. One of the common experiences at the start of low-carb dieting is the incessant running back and forth to the bathroom to urinate this excess fluid away. Which is both good news and bad news.

The good news is that it’s great to get rid of the excess fluid but it comes at a cost, which is the bad news. As the excess fluid goes, it takes with it sodium an extremely important electrolyte. When sodium levels fall below a critical threshold (which can happen within a short time), symptoms often occur, the most common being fatigue, headache, cramps and postural hypotension.

Postural hypotension happens when you stand up too quickly and feel faint. Or even pass out briefly. It’s a sign of dehydration. So if you’ve started your low-carb diet, made your multiple runs to the bathroom, and jump up off the couch to answer the phone and feel like your going to faint (or actually do pass out momentarily) and have to sit back down quickly, you’ve got postural hypotension. It’s really easy to fix – you simply need to take more sodium and drink more water. Salt your food more. Increasing sodium is just another one of the many counter-intuitive things about low-carb dieting. Just like eating more fat to lower your cholesterol. You’ve got to start thinking differently. The low-carb diet is one that absolutely requires more sodium. A lot more sodium.

If you’ve got the brutal headaches that some people get when starting on a low-carb diet, add sodium. And drink extra water.

Even if you don’t have pitting edema, postural hypotension or headaches, you still need more sodium if you are starting out on or following a low-carb diet. It’s critically important that you get extra sodium. I can’t make this case too strongly.

There are other electrolytes and his blog goes into that.

Anyway, that's why I ask if they tested your electrolytes.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-11, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: Barry Groves
Stats: 275/275/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Mara, what did the doctors say? Did they ask about electrolytes? That's the first thing I thought too, but I'm not a doctor.

I hope you're OK! I'm sorry you had the experience and I'm glad you asked the question as I've been worried about palpitations. I had a few bouts about two years ago, not enough to go to the ER, but enough to go to my doctor and a cardiologist, who could not find anything wrong, and put it down to dehydration and stress. (They got the stress part right, at least!) BUT I'd also tried low carb (Protein Power in each case) the week before the palpitations.

I thought it might be loss of potassium, but the doctors did not advise. I read the post on the Eades' blog with interest, and I also noticed that in the new Atkins book they suggest adding 2 tsps of salt to food OR drinking 2 cups of chicken broth each day. I'm about to make another try (Barry Groves this time), and I'm going to take the salt requierment to heart -- I'm glad everybody who's posted so far has mentioned that as well.

Last edited by banter : Wed, Jun-29-11 at 11:56.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-11, 10:53

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I agree on the salt. Also make sure you are drinking lots of WATER. Very important.
Good luck hope you feel better!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-11, 12:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
I agree on the salt. Also make sure you are drinking lots of WATER. Very important.
Good luck hope you feel better!!

I'm not sure I agree with drinking lots of water. If you're peeing a lot you're losing electrolytes, drinking lots of water just makes you pee more and every time you pee you lose more electrolytes.

Drink enough so you're not dehydrated, but don't force the water (or other beverage). And yes, all beverages count, according to kidney experts.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-11, 19:56

Plan: Atkins DANDR- Induction
Stats: 155/158.0/120 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: -9%

Besides the multivitamin, did you take any thing else- herbals, herbal teas, natural supplements, other weight loss aids (hydroxycut, etc? What about coconut oil or MCT oil? How much sugar alcohols were you taking in per day?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-11, 12:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 392/289/200 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Get some more animal fat in your diet. Your diet sounds like a recipe for rabbit starvation which causes heart problems and even sudden death in some individuals.

http://www.apinchofhealth.com/resou...stefansson.html
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-11, 13:20

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Is there any connection with this guy?

http://www.thestar.com/article/508611

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/article/508611

Diets which are both low-fat and Low-carb are dangerous, and highly unadvisable unless performed under close medical supervision. And it has to be GOOD medical supervison. They can lead to exactly the symptoms you describe.

For an example of a low-fat, low carb diet see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimkins.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-11, 16:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Being an old critical care nurse, I have to point out that you were not in ventricular fibrillation (VF), because you'd have been unconscious and well.. dead, because VF is a form of cardiac arrest. You likely had atrial fibrillation, which is initially fast and irregular.

Otherwise, I agree with the above helpful comments.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 22:16

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

EDIT: never mind. Didn't realize how old this post was initially.

You're doing low carb and low fat at the same time. IMO that's the problem.

You should never do that. If you're doing low carb, it should be high fat, and medium protein.