Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 17:55
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%
Smile Moms on a Mission

Any other moms out there who have 100 or more pounds to lose? I'm a 40something mom with two kids under the age of 5 and a full-time job...life is chaotic but I am making the commitment to lose those 75 pounds I gained being pregnant (plus the 30 I have been losing and regaining since college)! Would love to join up with other moms on a low-carb mission and cheer each other on...

Last edited by sassafras : Tue, Oct-16-07 at 11:26.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 18:38

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Well, I'm a mom (40+) but my kid is a teen and I've got a full-time job (which includes 4 hours of commuting!)

I've lost quite a bit already, but I always love to have a team to 'run' with!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 21:13
one day at a time

BF:

Hi there--would love to "run" together! And congrats on your work so far--wonderful job!

ps: FOUR hours of commuting? My goodness, I complain about my measly one-hour commute all the time.

Last edited by sassafras : Mon, Oct-15-07 at 21:27.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 06:54

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Congrats on making the committment Sassafrass! I know how life can be with small kids and working full time, but this is a gift you give yourself. You'll soon find more energy and things will just seem easier! Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 09:47

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 228/220/110 Female 5"0
BF:
Progress: 7%
Cool

I'm a 30+ mom of 2 boys 7 & 11 and work full time.
I have about 101 lbs to loose.

I gained about 65lbs with my oldest son. Then I gained a total of 12 lbs with my second baby and he was 8 lbs.
I was so happy but I was still about 83 pound over my first pre preg weight.
Still have not lost any weight until I started LC/M&E on 9/24/07. Down about 14 lbs now and I am not going to stop.

Now that my boys are older it is time for me.

to all moms!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 11:17
one day at a time

BF:

Hi Everyone! Congrats to all of you on your successes to date! Michelle, what is M&E? I don't know that term (still kinda learning the lingo around here).

I gained most of my weight with the first kiddo, too. Then I lost about 30 of it, became pregnant again and gained 32! This is the first time in four years that my clothes are starting to feel loose, and I am so grateful, even if it's coming off very slowly this time. The day I reach my pre-preggy weight, I am going to have a party, seriously. Funny: I remember feeling so "huge" back then, worrying about the ever-coming-and-going same 30 pounds, when now I would kill to be that big/small.

Would love to know how you all deal with dinner-for-the-whole-family issues? I have tons of low carb cookbooks but no time to plan and cook things, so too often we end up eating something fast and too carby. Yikes!

Last edited by sassafras : Tue, Oct-16-07 at 11:30.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 11:51

BF:
Smile

M&E is meat and eggs only, so your body starts burning fat faster.

I have some friends that did it in the past and lost a lot of weight fast. Like 6-8 pounds a week.

You have to be very creative with your meal plans so you do not get tired of the same thing.

I love it so far. I have total control over my eating habbits. I have to force myself to eat when I am on this WOE. I am doing this plan for 6 weeks to track my progress and jump start some much needed weight loss. Then I will be back on Atkins. I add a salad about once or twice a week so I have some varitey and it has not stalled me yet.

I really wanted to change my focus on food and this has really helped me.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 12:02

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Dinner at my house usually consists of a meat, cooked vegetable, salad or soup and then I do a carby thing for the rest..either pasta, rice, or potatoe. I spend some time after grocery shopping preparing a container of washed, chopped up veggies. This really saves time during the dinner preparation or when you just want to grab something quick for lunches. I also buy frozen veggies and bagged salad on occassion to save time. I will often in the evening get a salad or soup ready for the following day. I know how things can get when you're tired and hungry.I've heard many people say that they cook meals ahead of time to just be re-heated as needed.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 12:04

BF:

Would love to know how you all deal with dinner-for-the-whole-family issues? I have tons of low carb cookbooks but no time to plan and cook things, so too often we end up eating something fast and too carby. Yikes![/QUOTE]

A big thing that really helps me is that I cook in advance for the next week. For example we plann our weekly menu's on Sunday then I cook all the meat that is needed for the meals and then save it in the fridge or freezer in storage containers. This also helps me on my WOE because if we have a pasta dish planned for dinner then I know that I need to cook some extra meat for me to have and then I can add some veggies or a salad.

I also do this for my breakfast's and lunchs during the week so then I can just grab my containers and go!!

It takes a good part of Sunday but it saves so much time during the week.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: LC,IF
Stats: 306/237/160 Female 68''
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hiya all...i'd like to join. I'm a 28 year old single mother of a 6 year old daughter and 16 month old son. things can be hard but I want to be a better,healthier mom to my kids
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 14:21
one day at a time

BF:

Welcome, Jinx! We'd love to have you join us! I like how you said being a healthier mom...that is my biggest goal, too.

And thanks, Char and Michelle, for the ideas! Will try this Sunday to cook a few things (or at least chop up veggies for the week)! Grateful for any and all ideas because dinner is ALWAYS toughest around here. Oh, and the ridiculous desire for something sweet that always kicks in around 9 pm (thank goodness for sugar-free popsicles). I can be completely full and still there I am, longing for "just a little something." Weird because the rest of the day I can say no pretty easily. Must be the late-night sugar dragon...or something. What do you all do with cravings, if you have them? (I'm pretty sure that my cravings mean I haven't fully immersed b/c last time I didn't have ANY cravings. Well, except in a sort of abstract I Miss Bread kind of way. I'm going to do induction again next week and hope that it gets rid of them.)

Oh, and thanks for the M&E explanation! That makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by sassafras : Tue, Oct-16-07 at 14:31.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 15:13

BF:

For my sweet craving I make a crustless chessecake. It is so easy to make and I like the taste. Its rich so it really feels like a treat.
Here's how I make mine

Ingredients:

12 oz cream cheese, softened
3 pkts Splenda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Cup heavy cream

Combine cream cheese, sugar substitute, and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix well. Beat the heavy cream in a separate bowl until it forms soft peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.

Transfer the mixture to a large glass bowl and chill, covered with plastic wrap, for at least 25 minutes. Top with berries if you like. Serve immediately or store, covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Serves 8. 2.6 carbs per serving

MMM it is so good.

Last edited by shellraw : Tue, Oct-16-07 at 15:26.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 18:32

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Hi,
I do the same as the others. I make a meat (often in the crockpot before I drive into work), then I add a salad for me, or a veggie, and a carb like rice or potatoes.

I make ribs, wings, and whole chickens in the crockpot. I make revolution rolls on Sundays and then during the week if we have burgers, I can have a cheeseburger (heck even and bacon cheeseburger) on a couple rolls.
The last time I did this, and had the commute, I wasn't organized and I just fell off the wagon as my hubby cooked all the time.
Now, if they have pasta, I have my sauce on ribbons of cooked cabbage. If they have tacos, I make a taco salad. If they are eating something like lasagna, I make a smaller version with cabbage leaves or thinly sliced eggplant for me. Once I just scraped out the noodles and ate the good stuff with a salad.

If for some reason they are eating something I can't redo low carb, I just whip up eggs and meat.

I buy them treats, because I don't want them to resent me, but they do respect me enough not to have the stuff I REALLY want in here. Now, because I've done this for a while, nothing really bothers me. Heck, I can make brownies and homemade bread and not want any.
Nothing tastes as good as slipping on the new size down pants!!! (the pants stay on all day, the food only a second on my lips!)
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 22:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/209/160 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 48%

I'm 30-something. I have 6, yes, six kids. Ages 3,6,7,8,9,14...whew!!
piano lessons; violin lessons; student council meetings; PTA; volleyball practice; and the list goes on. Worked 60 hours per week. As you can see, my plate was quite full. My husband and I decided it was time to put the kids before my work as we're finally able to do so. So...last week I left my job and am now I'm a full-time Mommy. Sometimes I think I'd rather be at work. Like the others, I do a WHOLE LOT OF COOKING on Sundays. I preportion them and freeze them for future use. That way I always have choices. I plan meals ahead also. That helps alot. Whatever I make for them, I just alter for myself. Once you get over the "hunger bump" it's not bad being around food that you can't have, simply because you actually don't want to eat it.

Life gets in the way. You just have to want it bad enough. And we all do because we're here making the effort everyday. Kudos to us all!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 08:05

BF:

Just checking in to say Hi to everyone!! Hope that you all have a great LC day!!

I lost 4 pounds in the last three days on the M&E WOE.

WOW there is more and more people joining everyday.

Have a rockin day!!