Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Is stevia glycerite a transfat?

My bottle of NOW stevia glycerite recommends 3-5 drops PER DAY.

At that rate, of course a transfat would not show up on a label.

But if I consume more than 3-5 drops per day, is there a significant amount of transfat?

I never took chemistry.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 12:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't see how it could possibly be considered fat, much less a trans fat. Did something give you that impression?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 17:44

BF:

It's derived from plants' oils.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 18:50

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Transfats are fats that have been modified to make them, not sweeter, but more solid.

I think you're safe.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 19:03

BF:

Thanks, MickiSue.

I googled and found this at Livestrong:

Glycerine, also known as glycerin or glycerol, is a sugar alcohol derived from fats and oils. Glycerine sweetens food products without the same effect on blood sugar levels as regular sugar, according to CVS Pharmacy's Health Resources website. Nevertheless, glycerine, like other sugar alcohols, does have some effect on blood sugar levels.

I am trying to find a calorie count for glycerine.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 19:13

BF:

I found this:

Heritage Vegetable Glycerin from Heritage Products is a great natural sweetener, containing USP grade pure vegetable glycerin. At just 22 calories per serving, it won't wreak havoc on your diet.

Terms and Ingredient Definitions
Categories
Food and Beverage
Beauty Moisturizing Creams and Lotions
Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 5 ml (1 tsp)

Servings Per Container: 24
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 22
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Total Carbohydrate 5 g 2%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Protein 0 g

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Calories 2,000 2,500
Total Fat Less than 65 grams 80 grams
Saturated Fat Less than 20 grams 25 grams
Cholesterol Less than 300 mg 300 mg
Sodium Less than 2,400 mg 2,400 mg
Total Carbohydrate 300 grams 375 grams
Dietary Fiber 25 grams 30 grams

Calories per gram:

Fat 9 Carbohydrate 4 Protein 4

Contains: USP Grade Pure Vegetable Glycerin.

Suggested Use: Place a few drops of herbal remedy in 3/4 oz water and add 1 tsp of Vegetable Glycerin for a slightly sweet base.

I AM SURPRISED to find glycerine is a sweetener! My search was to investigate stevia glycerite (which I use TONS of it) - and to see what the BASE liquid is. I know that it cannot be pure stevia glycerine....pure stevia is so potent...so I am investigating the BASE to see how many carbs, calories or WHATEVER I can find.

The base must be a sugar alcohol (according to the above material) so it can't have many calories.

Last edited by RuthannP : Sun, Jun-05-16 at 19:33.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 19:30

BF:

And this (so stevia glycerite does have carbs and calories):

Better Stevia Glycerite - Zero Calorie Sweetener (Alcohol-Free) Description from Now
NOW Stevia Glycerite is alcohol-free and a zero-calorie, low glycemic, natural plant based sweetener that makes a perfectly healthy substitute for table sugar and artificial sweeteners. Unlike chemical sweeteners, NOW Stevia Glycerite contains natural plant stevia extracts.
Supplement Facts
Serving Size: .16 mL
Servings Per Container: 1481
Ingredient Amount % Daily Value**
Calories 0
Total Fat 0g 0
Sodium 0mg 0
Total Carbohydrate 0g 0
Sugars 0g
Protein 0g

** Percent Daily Value is based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
† Daily Value not established.

Ingredients:
Vegetable Glycerine, BetterStevia [certified organic stevia extract (stevia rebaudiana) (leaf)], de-ionized water and purified stevia extract (stevia rebaudiana) (leaf).

Contains no: sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, shellfish, preservatives, artificial colors, artificial flavors, or artificial sweeteners. Vegetarian/Vegan Product.

Manufacturer's Directions
Use to naturally sweeten your favorite beverages and food. Use 3 to 5 drops as desired daily. Sweeten to taste. Remember a little stevia goes a long way. Sedimentation may occur. Shake well before using.

IT IS NOT A ZERO CALORIE PRODUCT IF YOU USE MORE THAN 3 TO 5 DROPS DAILY AND IT HAS A HIGH CARB COUNT.

Last edited by RuthannP : Sun, Jun-05-16 at 20:48.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 07:23

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

It takes longer to get it, but I buy cyclamate from Sugar Twin in Canada. The decision to ban it in the US was, as might not be surprising, driven by the wants of the other sweetener manufacturers, not by any actual danger to humans. Or, for that matter, lab rodents who weren't fed multiples of their body mass in cyclamate daily.

It tastes, to me, neutrally sweet, basically like sugar.

It comes in a brown sugar option.

And, unlike stevia, I don't get the licorice aftertaste. And I don't have to spend hours trying to find out what, if any actual carbs and calories it has. Because it has zero, no matter how much you eat of it.

Which, for me, is less than a teaspoon a day, so...there's that.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 09:33
Experimenter

BF:

Even if glycerine has as many carbs as sugar, which I doubt it does, then a tsp would contain 4g of carbs. A tsp contains about 98 drops.

So... how much of this are you using? Stevia is very potent, at least 200x sweeter than sugar in it's extracted form.

Doing the math, then 3 drops is 3/98 of a tsp of sugar worth of carbs. I'm not really sure that would even register.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 10:07

BF:

I bake a lot and use a lot of stevia glycerite.

The above informations shows stevia in a glycerite base would be 22 calories per teaspoon and 5 carbs.

The carb and calorie count is not too bad in a recipe but the idea that "liquid stevia" has no calories is totally false because it is mixed with glycerine.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 10:38

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
the idea that "liquid stevia" has no calories is totally false because it is mixed with glycerine

Not exactly - you can get liquid stevia in alcohol. But you probably won't like it if you bake a lot with the glycerite based one. The one in alcohol by comparison is not as mild, and you will really taste the bitterness if you try to use ONLY that as the sweetener in a baking recipe.

The main advantage of stevia glycerite is exactly that it does a better job in masking the stevia's natural bitterness if you go over, but yes, you definitely pay for it in carbs and calories.

For someone counting carbs very strictly, Stevia glycerite would really have no room in someone's macros, unless they were strictly limiting themselves to a couple of drops in their tea or coffee only, for example.

The stevia glycerite only has no carbs or calories per serving, but again, like many products, this is for sure a deceiving claim to make, because the amount that people use "per serving" is usually A LOT more than they claim a serving should be on the bottle. Even just for hot drinks, I can use a full glass dropper/stopper full, and that is A LOT of "drops".
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 11:05
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna1
I bake a lot and use a lot of stevia glycerite.

The above informations shows stevia in a glycerite base would be 22 calories per teaspoon and 5 carbs.

The carb and calorie count is not too bad in a recipe but the idea that "liquid stevia" has no calories is totally false because it is mixed with glycerine.

The question remains, how many tsps are you using a day? That's 98 drops per tsp.

I use liquid sucralose and it comes out to about 1-2 drops per tsp of sweetness. So I'd have to be using the equivalent of 98 tsp of sugar to use a full tsp of the stuff.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Jun-06-16 at 11:46.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 14:14

BF:

A cheesecake recipe uses a teaspoon.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 17:26
Experimenter

BF:

So 5 carbs added to your entire cheesecake. That's less than 1 carb per serving. I guess you could go lower with liquid sucralose or stevia in alcohol, but 5 grams of carb divided over 8 or more servings doesn't seem too horrible.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 21:40

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
It takes longer to get it, but I buy cyclamate from Sugar Twin in Canada.

I've not been happy with the sweeteners here & I live very close to the border. But now that I need an enhanced license or passport to get there, I haven't been. Need to talk to people I know & see who likes to go to Canada. I want to try it before I become a cyclamate smuggler.