Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 16:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 288/253.5/168 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default she got gastric bypass

my cousin got gastric bypass today and didnt tell anyone> I heard it thru the grape vine and i feel so furious..she says she tries diets and they dont work and she goes to millions of drs. so each one can tell her that her new ailment is from obesity so that insurance will pay for surgery. This is from someone who already got the lapband and failed so miserably that she got that removed 4 yrs later. And got that for free too. She doesnt even try...it makes me sooooo mad because here i am fighting all the way and she just got the easy way out..i really hate her right now..i know i sound jealous and i guess i am..i wouldnt get the surgery, im just i dont know...jealous>>thanks for lettin me vent
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 17:06

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Don't be jealous. You will be healthy for life and she won't.

A long-time family friend has just gotten gastric bypass and I am disappointed/sad for him. He says he has tried everything, but I know he hasn't tried eating the way we have been eating these past 6 months.

It's sad. I want to stand on a soapbox and tell everyone about this healthy WOE -- but most just don't want to take the effort to prepare their own food or not eat whatever they want to eat whenever they want to eat it. They just don't want to do it. They'd rather pop a pill or have the surgery. You can't save those. I know, it's frustrating.

You will probably be angry/uncomfortable the next time you see her. It doesn't do any good to chew her out -- it is done. Bite your tongue and try to be supportive, unless you're willing to give up the relationship.

:hug:
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 17:53

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by samika
my cousin got gastric bypass today and didnt tell anyone> I heard it thru the grape vine and i feel so furious..she says she tries diets and they dont work and she goes to millions of drs. so each one can tell her that her new ailment is from obesity so that insurance will pay for surgery. This is from someone who already got the lapband and failed so miserably that she got that removed 4 yrs later. And got that for free too. She doesnt even try...it makes me sooooo mad because here i am fighting all the way and she just got the easy way out..i really hate her right now..i know i sound jealous and i guess i am..i wouldnt get the surgery, im just i dont know...jealous>>thanks for lettin me vent

Neither surgical procedure is without risk and IIRC, you basically end up on what amounts to a LC diet for the rest of your life anyway. So why bother with the surgery if you end up eating the LC way in the end after all?

People do stupid stuff all the time. you cannot protect them from their own stupidity.

Let it go and wish her the best. She may need your help at some point down the road and be in a state where she is willing to accept that help.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 18:12

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Beez said what I felt, but she said it much better than I would have. My first reaction, OMG your poor cousin - she's probably just bought herself a lifetime of misery and this one is NOT reversible.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 05:57

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Hey, don't feel too bad about it, at least you are doing the right thing. You didn't take the easy way out.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 06:34

BF:

thank you for ur reponses> I feel much better today. She will be in for misery im sure later on but im really the one who will win. I feel thinner this morning already!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-10, 18:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I don't know why anyone considers this the "easy" way.

It's major surgery, for one thing. And for another, here's the way she will have to eat:

Pouch Rules for Dummies

I don't know about anyone else, but I read that and I shudder at all the nitpicky rules and dire consequences (dumping syndrome, periods of vomiting) and how you could cook up a meal and only eat half a cup of it?

It sounds flat out insane.

And from what I've read, the hidden truth is there's a 40% chance of serious, life threatening complications. For someone who already failed at the lap band?

Do not be jealous of her. Really.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-10, 23:49

BF:
Thumbs down

I heard she is in some serious pain right now and is home recoopin. And not bein able to eat at the holidays? Whatever
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 01:00

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I hope you'll be able to show you're the bigger person (figuratively speaking) and show her the sympathy and support she's going to need for the rest of her life.
Quote:
And not bein able to eat at the holidays? Whatever

Not being able to eat EVER! I feel so sorry she felt driven to do this to herself.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 06:49

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

I have had 3 friends get gastric bypass in the past 2 years. They all had to have their gall bladders out after the fact and now that they have lost alot of weight they look really unhealthy. I think they are nutritionally weak and it shows in their skin, eyes, hair. I would pick low carb every day of the week!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-10, 23:06

BF:

And another thing, she had this done right before the holidays, has 5 kids and told them oh I owe u christmas gifts,didn't put a tree up and 2 of those kids are little and still believe..I'm sorry but how selfish..she couldn't wait Till after christmas? Gimme a break..her hhusband is a push over too
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-04-14, 19:51
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

This thread sounds awfully like the anti-lowcarbers to lowcarbers. The same assumptions from people that use second or third hand information regarding weight loss surgery.

Way to judge, people.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-04-14, 21:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Gastric bypass causes weight loss AND malnutrition. It is bad mojo, IMHO. You need your intestines to extra vitamins and nutrients from your food.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 06:10

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I thought the way they do gastric bypass surgury was better now and less dumping and they get to keep their intestions so the vitamens still get absorbed?
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 07:15

Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Why would anyone actually want this ?????? Its barbaric and a waste of money

Jo xxx