Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 15:22

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default After Workout Hunger

I commute on my bicycle and do all my errands/running around etc on my bike but it's all flat land. Over spring break I was riding at a higher elevation and it was very hilly. One day I rode 8 mi but of course 1/2 of it was down hill (what a rush flying at 34mph! for someone accustomed to cruising at 10-12 ). The hills were killer (for me) but I did them (for the most part, I made it farther up one than 2 people that were 1/2 my size and 1/2 my weight)

However when I got done my body was screaming at me:

I NEED TO EAT!

It wasn't hypoglycemia (I had that when I was younger and know the symptoms) but a deeper hunger that's hard to describe.

I cooked up a couple of slices of bacon and that satisfied it. Are there any foods that are more beneficial in this situation than others?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 12:06

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Interesting question, I hope you get some good answers soon, as I'd like to read the replies.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 12:23
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

It sounds to me probably like you needed protein. So bacon is good, but probably more than 2 slices. Personally I'd choose an unprocessed meat in that situation, like chicken or steak. If you don't have any of that stuff around, a good LC whey protein shake would work well too.

--Melissa
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 21:17

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thanks for the hint Melibsmile! I was so ravenous at that moment I grabbed the quickest cooking thing I could find that was meat. LOL I knew a salad would not cut it!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 21:53
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthian
It wasn't hypoglycemia (I had that when I was younger and know the symptoms) but a deeper hunger that's hard to describe. I cooked up a couple of slices of bacon and that satisfied it. Are there any foods that are more beneficial in this situation than others?

Actually - yes. I don't do cardio, but some very heavy weight lifting. About 2 days after a session, when my muscles begin to repair themselves, I have experienced the deep hunger you're talking about. I've learned now to head it off at the pass.

First, it's important to know that after you've worked that hard you've depleted your glycogen stores, and your body gives first priority to restoring it. So go with the flow. Your body wants glucose - give in and eat some carbs.

As soon as I get home from the gym, even before I feel that hunger, I eat foods that can be quickly converted to glucose, like berries, LC pita bread, dark chocolate - and proteins like yogurt, cream and cheese. This is also the time I eat other carb-y things I don't usually eat, like buttered popcorn, or Chinese food for dinner. I choose a moderate amount of only one thing though, which seems to be all that's needed.

Once my body refills the glycogen tank it seems to relax, and the deep hunger I used to get on day 2 is greatly reduced. I can still feel the muscles repair - actually feel it - but the hunger it produces is softer, and no longer screaming at me. And I can eat regular meals on that day, instead of what felt like eating every hour on the hour. I never felt 'full' or close to it.

Hope this helps. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 17:55

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 156/140/130 Female 69"
BF:
Progress:

I find that helping myself to a tablespoon or two of almond butter or peanut butter really helps after a hard workout.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 18:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 203/184/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Go to these short articles to read what to eat before and after exercise.

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/art...ek+phd+rd+facn/
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 12:06
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

That was an interesting link UtahJake - thanks for sharing it with us. Here's an interesting tidbit from that link:

Quote:
As expected, there was a significant increase in muscle protein synthesis during recovery in the protein-only trial. The co-ingestion of carbohydrate with adequate protein did not further augment protein synthesis. These findings show protein as the most important nutrient to consume after resistance exercise, and further indicate that adding carbohydrates offers little benefit. This is good news if you are trying to lose body fat because it means you can get an optimal anabolic effect from protein alone without adding additional calories from carbohydrate and the accompanying insulin response that will inhibit fat breakdown.

from this page: http://www.nutritionexpress.com/art...x?articleid=938

I've been wondering about this stuff too, having just started a new weight-training regimen.

I make sure to get a fairly decent-sized breakfast after my weight training workouts - within a half or or so after the workout. It's usually some sausages or some meat of some kind, along with some avocado - since my trainer keeps yammering at me, "Potassium!".

I haven't ventured into the 'protein shakes' thing yet, but I do find a fairly high-protein meal after weight training seems to help a wee bit.

In terms of actual carbs - I've been experimenting with a small amount of carbs about an hour before weight training - something like 8 total carbs or something. Not sure if this is needed or not - but have been trying it out. I had some weird nausea once after a weight training session for legs, and was wanting to avoid this in the future. Sooo...occasionally having half a Larabar at 5:30 am on weight training mornings. I'm not recommending it, because these things can be overly carby, and somewhat addictive because of the 'sweet' factor.

In terms of something 'better' for post exercise - I'm always very surprised at just how high in protein chicken is, compared to other meats. Not sure if cold, cooked chicken leftovers are all that road friendly though.

Hmmm - awriter - I'm kind of curious - do you think the 'pre-workout' carbs would prevent that glycogen depletion effect you're mentioning? Or does one still need to re-fill the glycogen stores after the fact?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 13:52
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 261/251/210 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress:

A slice or 2 of cheese, any kind does it for me. If it was a real good workout a few saltines or Ritz crackers give me what I need.
be well
Art