Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 20:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default What vitamins to take

I am finding vitamins have sucrose (yes sucrose) cellulose, maltodextrin and corn starch among other things I cant pronounce.
What is a good brand to not have these additives.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 22:03

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Really? Does it have carb counts? I bet it's not enough to matter for most. I hope.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 00:05

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 218.5/203.8/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 21%

I never thought of that, I did Google to read some of the hidden fillers we might not be aware of. This is just a link to a source I know nothing about, so you probably should research further. Also the research is 6 years old.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draxe....must-avoid/amp/
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 07:26
Registered Member

BF:

I've been fine till yesterday, but yesterday 20 mins after eating them, I really had that heartburn like reaction, a give away sign to me that my body thinks of it as "food".
Funny thing - the cici's pizza bowls don't give me that 20 mins after eating. Neither does my salad.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 09:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

With a multi=vitamin, some components are fat soluble and others are water soluble. If you're swallowing a multi-vitamin on an empty stomach while you're fasting, I'm not surprised you're experiencing GERD and stomach upset. It's throwing a lot of stuff down the gullet without the natural buffers you'd have when you're eating. When I fast, I stop supplements with the exception of magnesium and salt. I don't consume anything except for water and sometimes tea. I take salt about 3 times a day in the morning, afternoon, and evening. It makes a world of difference. While Fung recommends vitamin supplementation for longer fasts, I don't do that other than what I've mentioned. Once you're truly fat adapted and have fasted a few times, you become very acclimated to it and can do it easily for any length of time without getting hungry. My recommendation? Stay away from that multi-vitamin, as it is reacting in a state where it is causing harm based on your reactions. You're not going to experience any nutritional deficits no matter how long you're fasting.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 10:33
Registered Member

BF:

I believe I was feeling a surge of digestive acid, cos I don't think I can feel insulin spiking in stomach and throat. So would drinking Lemon juice and salt water prevent the spike cos I already have acid.

~GRB5111 thanks so much. Now the magnesium has calcium and zinc - should I get pure magnesium ??? I thought I needed potassium to counteract the salt ? I was getting muscle cramps for the week or so I took to find potassium. My potassium is free of maltodextrin and cornstarch. Its got magnesium stearate and stearic acid. Also Fish oil has glycerin but it didn't cause any reaction so far, because usually I've been taking it in the morning usually right with lemon+salt water.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 12:30

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Both my husband & I are cutting back on our vitamins. We've been reading that they aren't as affective as getting them in the food. We've never taken a multi as it didn't seem to be something needed. We're still taking D3 as we live north enough to not get much sun & we're older. I take turmeric & MSM for inflammation. Husband is still a bit concerned about his heart & the possibility of clogged arteries (he had bypass surgery 21 years ago), so he takes C, CoQ10, flaxseed oil (tho I'm not sure how useful it is), & low-dose aspirin.

And we always take them with food.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 14:11
Registered Member

BF:

Turmeric that's like water in my house, I can eat 3 lbs of it right now if I choose.
BTW lots of American staples, like for example ketchup has turmeric in it. Ofcourse not enough and its completely over shadowed by the HFCS and other crap in it.
Thanks.
Srinath.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 20:31
Registered Member

BF:

Also I have been without coffee (bullet proof or otherwise) for 2 days as of yesterday. But today I had a cup of simple black coffee, not Bulletproof.
Could that give me the digestive reaction ???

Should I take the vitamins with Bulletproof coffee - so that it has fat and water to be able to dissolve.
I got cornstarch free cal-mag-zinc and B complex, and potassium is already free of corn starch. Maltodextin I dont think bothers me. I eat plenty of it in my cici's bowls I think.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-16, 08:24

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I doubt lack of coffee would cause digestive upset. I agree with GRB. I would skip the supplements on an empty stomach. I am not great about consistently taking mine, but when I do, its always with food.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-16, 18:24

Plan: duke university,dr,weston
Stats: 330/324/275 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default how much magneseium to take for constipation

hi,grb5111 i ahave aquestion how much magnesium to take for comstpation,older male 64? i dod not seem to be able to get into ketosis,i drinka diet sodas ,no more than 2 fountain type,trying to follow the diet greens cabbage salads onions mushrooms mostly hamburger ,bacon eggs,nathans beef hotdogs,sauerkraut,prokrinds,peppironi,a little cheese,green beans,chicken,w the skin ,any helpful hints thanks
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-16, 05:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

It is impossible to give you the magnesium dose that will work for you...why I wrote "to tolerance" in intro post. That means try magnesium (there are three kinds, each absorb/have laxative effect differently) and increase dose until it works..or works too much and then back off. Magnesium oxide has more a laxative effect than citrate and each brand will work differently for you than me.
Most are sold in doses of 200 or 400mg, buy the 200 and you can add pills until effective. Hope that helps,
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-16, 06:22

Plan: duke university,dr,weston
Stats: 330/324/275 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress: 11%
Unhappy

thanksjey100/janet,that really helps there is so much imformation you do not know what to choose,or how much to take ,how often,just started to ad the coconut oil,see if that jump satrts ketosis,everytime i test nothing or barely a trace,,28 days,8lbs,seems slow than what i have read,i do drink2 diet sodas ,liquid cheese for the brocoli,thats about it way less than 20 carbs a day,trying not to get discouraged,thanks for the help,janet,be patient.it is about 3 days apart for a b/m,concerned about the bowels will become dependent of the stimulant instead of natural movement ,but this is what the doctors advise,got to go with that .did you use coconut oil janet?you look 20yrs younger,than your first picture,amazing.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-16, 07:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I cook with coconut or olive oil, especially like to roast vegetables which makes them taste "sweet" and can do a whole baking sheet at once. If I do an aerobics class in the morning, I might add 1T of coconut oil to coffee for a slight boost in energy, but I do not add lot of butter or coconut oil to coffee on a regular basis. 1T of heavy cream is enough.

Quite a number of medications can slow weight loss. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453311
Have you started to get more exercise? Just going outside to take a walk around the neighborhood?

Suggest you try the DietDoctor weight loss tips and give them time to work. The green buttons under member names are links to other information. Ken and others have a My Plan history that gives the actual type and amount of food eaten.Maybe compare what you are eating to what other successful losers eat. Your food list looks good as long as not overdoing amounts, for example, pork rinds.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Dec-27-16 at 09:44.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-17, 05:35

Plan: Keto
Stats: 320/294/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Adding extra fat can help with constipation.. an old remedy for that was to take a couple tablespoons of olive oil every morning. Coconut oil should work, too. Okra is also really good for constipation, cooked or raw.

Taking a couple of Tbsp. zero-cal yellow mustard can cut stomach acid and help with heart burn.