Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 07:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default 28 Mile Bike Ride - HELP

Hi Everyone!

I am doing a 28 mile bike ride through the Malvern Hills on Sunday and need a little advise.
I am at the gym 5 days a week and I am on The Atkins Diet. I have been very sensible and I eat quite a balanced diet. What I need advise about is what to eat the dat before the bike ride and on the day. When I go to the gym I usually take a few glucose tablets and does the trick but this is a very hill and difficult ride and I feel I need a bit more than a few glucose tablets. I am not paranoid about eating carbs but I want to eat the right ones. I am not interested in losing any weight due to the bike ride, I just want to have the energy to finish it!
Any ideas???

Jenny
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 12:01

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

if you are a Atkins since june, you should be able to do the 28m without sugar.. You body is working just fine with fat and protein..

I am not sure what shape you are in, but if you go to the gym 5 times a week and do cardio, the 28m will be easy for you..

I ride every saturday and I do 40 miles at a good pace and including 4 killer hills we do it in less then 3 hours.. I eat a good dinner the night before, and something fatty (eggs and bacon) that morning and I am fine..
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 18:12

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Up to 2 hours, I don't worry about eating on the bike. For longer rides I take a low carb bar and some nuts to snack on. I have never run out of energy on this regimen.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 09:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Thanks Guys!!

I was so worried because this is not a bikeathon for beginners. The Malvern Hills are a nightmare. I did 31 miles but it took nearly 4 hours. A good fatty breakfast and nuts and a low carb bar was just the trick. I drand lots of water but I think I should of drank more. Well now I have 12 months to train for the next one.

Thanks again

Jenny