Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 04:37
Registered Member

Plan: general lo carb
Stats: 130/127.0/118 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default started all fruit fast

Started an all fruit fast yesterday. Plums, grapes, and pears. Up (4) pounds this morning. ARG. I am only going to do this for two days because I was totally stalled. I will keep the boards posted.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 08:46

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

Good luck. I tried a reverse diet once (if anyone's screaming "ack!," Atkins recommends it for 3-4 days to break a stall) and I'm afraid it didn't work. I did a low-GI carb thingy - boiled glop, low cal, low-fat - it tasted yucky and all it did was give me a three-day tummyache. I was SOOO glad to get back to my usual LC way of eating and take off the two pounds of water weight I gained. My stall didn't break, though, unfortunately. I had to lower carbs, cals, and increase exercise to do that. Still, it may work for you - who knows?

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 08:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

It's probably water weight.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Yes, it is water weight as the glycogen stores are refilling.

You probably won't lose weight while you do this reversal diet (but maybe you will?), the weight loss, if it comes, will come when you resume LC, and the body is once again "shocked" as it was when you first began LC in the first place, with a full glycogen store. It's a strategy that may or may not work.

Please do keep up posted. I hope your tummy holds up under all that fruit!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 11:03
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Just think glycogen stores when full can hold about 40 slices of bread or 10 Deli bagels

That and the associated water weighs about 3 pounds!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel1
Good luck. I tried a reverse diet once (if anyone's screaming "ack!," Atkins recommends it for 3-4 days to break a stall) ....

Hi Rachel - I have had limited success with the reverse diet concept - but it is something I never intended to do: it was just the result of falling of the wagon for a day or two. It was the resuiming Atkins that created the weight loss, not the reverse diet, in my case.

But I am curious - does Dr. Atkins actually recommend the reverse diet in DANDR? If so, I guess I missed it!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Yes, it's there, in the 1992 edition at least. It's simply going off plan and eating whatever one wants, but a specific reversal diet consisting of high carb and low to no fat or protein for 2-3 days to allow the body to convert back to glucose burning, then you "shock" the body again with an induction.

Eating only carbs for a couple days would presumably fill the glycogen stores without making any fat, perhaps. Going off plan in terms of eating high carb AND high fat (and possibly high protein) would result in immediate fat storage.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 07:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I sort of went off plan for 2-3 days for the Jewish holidays, and then was extra careful the rest of the week and still lost a pound- I'm not sure if that broke my stall, or if I would have lost a pound that week anyway.

But that was never an intentional "reverse diet" rather it was making LC a lifestyle and not a "diet" and enjoying holiday foods. I still made my holiday foods much lower in carbs than last year (more broccoli, no potatoes) but I didn't restrict my fruit intake, or worry about small amounts of honey or modest amounts of 100% rye bread.

I think that, in normal daily living, "higher carb days" come up all by themselves. I also think that my blood sugar would go through the roof if I tried an all fruit fast! (I have a family history of diabetes and a personal history of gestational diabetes.)