Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 23:00

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

So, you've got a thing with overhydrating....too much salt in your diet will not be good for that, right?

Thanks Judy. Actually, salt dehydrates, but in my case, I lose (overexcrete) way too much - more than a normal person does through sweat and urine. My endo likes salt and wants me to have it in sports drinks as it keeps potassium in balance. Once it gets out of whack, there goes my electrolyte balance. I know when I am thirsty ALL the time, that usually means I need salt - not the opposite. Weird, I know, and it seems the opposite of what you might think. This is why he doesn't want me to do anything to lose weight quickly. Sudden fluid shifts is what could make me unwell. (That's sure not happening either!!!)

Truthfully, I have followed Atkin's by the book. If this doesn't work, I will try another plan. I am a meticulous "by the book" type, and will not try to formulate a "hybrid" plan. I wouldn't know for sure what was working and what wasn't. That is why I am exploring some other options.

Atkin's is where I want to "go home" but it may not help me lose. If I upped the carbs, I am not sure what level and what diet (menu wise) to work off of so this is too generalized for me at this point.

Citruskiss - I will read and reread what you have said with great interest. It's a confusing situation I am in for sure. More calories, or less? More protein, or less? More fat or less? Is it the AS? (not likely not as far as I can tell!) Shall I give up alcohol for months (unrealistic - LOL!) Shall I increase the carbs like some suggested? If so, which ones and to what level? Now I have to worry about cheese? Nuts? I alread know I have a fructose and wheat problem.....GEEZ!

It's getting hard and frustrating....maybe I should just starve and cut my exercise in half? This will work.... but is it healthy? Would it last? No and no! So - here I am. Trying to decide what I should do now.

Please keep thinking about me! THANKS SO MUCH!!! Sorry to be such a confusing PITA! Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by aeroangie : Fri, Mar-13-09 at 12:25.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-09, 08:49
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Well, this electrolyte thing is a very important consideration.

I don't know what the Stillman's plan entails, but I think it might be even lower carb than Atkins induction.

And, it's the lower carb plans that promote dramatic water weight losses, especially in the beginning - so I'm not sure such a plan would be appropriate for you, given the tendency to go low on salt sometimes.

Twice now, I've had 'issues' related to this. Two summers ago, super hot outside, doing a lot of physical work, on induction - started getting the usual cramps and stuff that are fairly common on induction - tried to 'get on top' of the situation by making sure I was taking my potassium, magnesium, calcium. Of course, I hadn't read Atkins 1972 - there's a line in that plan that says, "You may need salt". Anyway - things got kind of worse, and I went to the doctor who tested my electrolytes - and it turned out I had very mild hypotranemia - ie. low sodium. It was fine within a week.

Last summer - got some cramping again, talked to my doctor, who suggested that I up my carbs a bit. This is when I decided to switch from Atkins to Protein Power Life Plan. It seemed like a huge jump to go from aiming to get 20 grams total carbs (or less, usually) to PPLP's 40 'net' carb Intervention level. Upping my carbs stopped the cramping in it's tracks. A lot of times, I still didn't get anywhere near the 40 'net' carbs, but have been careful to not go too low on the carbs, because of concern about those cramps that I have a hard time managing.

So - given all of this - I'd highly recommend choosing a new plan - something that is higher in carbs than Atkins. South Beach might be a really good fit for you. Or the Paleo Diet.

I think Stillman's or that Atkins KISS variation might be going in the wrong direction for you, considering this water/sodium issue that you have.

It's ultra-low-carbs that cause dramatic water weight loss.

Interestingly - a journal friend of mine has been experimenting with upping her carbs too - in part because of how incredibly annoying it was for her when she'd eat out on the weekends and experienced a 'water weight' gain come Monday/Tuesday. She'd eat on plan, but when you're on a fairly low carb eating plan - you're very susceptible to water weight shifts - in both directions. Eat some tiny amount of 'good' carbs or slightly different food - and you'll have a water weight gain. Go very low in carbs, and you'll have dramatic water weight losses.

See what I mean?

Yeah - I'd vote for South Beach or Paleo. I wouldn't go in the opposite direction (a la Stillman's or Atkins KISS).

Plus - I think either South Beach or Paleo would work well for your level of exercising, in terms of getting enough fuel to carry you through.

This means you might have to go the 'lean meat' route, because of increasing your carb consumption - but this kind of plan will still work, and is still a 'low carb' eating plan in the sense that you still get all the benefits of appetite suppression and so on (just avoid anything too 'sweet-ish' so as not to trigger off "bad carb" cravings).

What do you think of this idea???

eta: Protein Power Life Plan might also be a good choice as well, as it's "Intervention Level" is 40 'net' carbs per day.

eta again: South Beach is going to have more structure (you might like this) with it's eating plan than Paleo or even PPLP. Something to consider in your decision making.

Last edited by Citruskiss : Fri, Mar-13-09 at 09:13.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-09, 08:53
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Also - this thread might be very useful for you:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=391712

Very good discussion towards the end - about how sometimes we need more food in order to ramp up the metabolism and so on. Very good thread.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-09, 13:22

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I read Protein Power years ago. Don't know where my copy is. Looking at my current menus, what modifications would I make exactly to be on Protein Power?

I was reading a lot about South Beach the past 24 hours. I am not much for olive oil on salads. I don't mind using a lowfat Honey Dijon type of dressing, but can't eat them without at least 3 tablespoons of something. I also do like chicken, but totally hate fish. I will eat shellfish, or crab, but South Beach sounds heavy on lean meat (which reminded me of Weight Watcher's.) I can lose on these programs, but can't really live like that. They incorporate grains which are problematic. I do like steaks, pork chops, chicken or turkey with the skin, eggs, mayo, and cheese and a huge variety of LC veggies with butter - though I can use something like Smart Balance. I like some fruits, but can certainly live without having too much in my diet. Some fruits can cause me problems (bananas, grapes, peaches, plums usually worst!) I am OK with berries, apples, and citrus fruits.

Do I sound more like PP than SB? I can't wait to hear what you and JudyNYC think. I know I need to stay on low carb forever, and have no problem doing that. If I thought it would come off eventually doing just what I am doing, I may choose to continue and make minor alterations (lowering calories probably to around 1600 is what I am trying now.) I worry doing this because my fat ratio will be lowered, which definitely isn't Atkin's in a pure sense, but I have to find whatever it is that is going to work.

I am also very interested in carb cycling - possibly alternating a somewhat leaner Atkin's with a protein power menu. I know I have always been against hybrids, but in studying my options, it looks like now this is something I must consider. It sort of reminds me of an interval training workout. I have adapted easily to Atkin's and so I believe I must do something to change things up without destabilizing or aggravating my endocrine issues.

I added in the fat, as per Rosebud's (Atkin's) suggestions. I felt great, but saw no change.

I've reduced training frequency, intensity, and duration - no change.

I have reduced soda consumption and mostly have plain water now. Nothing.

Cut out alcohol.....no change

Greatly reduced cheese (to less than an ounce) daily - nothing.

I am experimenting with calories now. If no change after TOM, then I will try something else. I am also reading Atkin's '72 to see the differences between that and DANDR 2002 for myself.

Who would have thought 15 pounds would be so damn hard!!! Once I fgure it out, I may write a book!!!!

Last edited by aeroangie : Fri, Mar-13-09 at 13:29.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-25-09, 22:08

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I was reading this and thought, maybe your struggle is you have lots of muscle, from all your working out.
I can't see that your doing anything wrong Atkins wise. I do wonder with the type of Diabetes you have if maybe your storing fluid. Just a guess...
good luck, but be happy that you have built so much muscle and your only 10 lbs from goal.....

I also looked at your gallery pic, and come on, you couldn't be more perfect