Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-18, 10:58

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Tip: what to do when fat loss stalls

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-l...fat-loss-stalls

Hint: it's eat less and exercise more...

Pretty standard article of its type. My excuse for posting it here;

Quote:
Dieting hard brings with it some lethargy and fatigue, especially as you get into the uncomfortable levels of bodyfat. When you're tired, it can become easy to avoid tracking your heart rate or RPM during your cardio sessions. You might think you're going at the same intensity, but you're actually producing less energy output, lessening your calorie deficit.

Also, keep an eye on your NEAT – non-exercise activity thermogenesis, or your daily general activity. As life gets busy and fatigue catches up with you, it becomes far more tempting to grab an Uber and take the elevator instead of walking.

A fatal flaw of CICO is practicality. What he says here may be true to some extent. He suggests a step counter to minimize decrease in activity, heart rate monitor to prevent decreases in intensity. Live on the Biggest Loser ranch? Professional bodybuilder, whose job is to get ripped? Might be reasonable to experience some temporary discomfort. If you have a job where you need to function at a higher level, being willing to experience that lethargy and fatigue isn't always reasonable, it might even be unethical to compromise your performance.

You could still use the step counter in other ways of course. If eating a certain way lead to increased spontaneous steps, or if it lead you to tend to walk two miles when you set out to walk one. If you look at CICO as the method, that's one thing, if you look at it as the desired result, that's another.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 07:53

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-l...fat-loss-stalls

Hint: it's eat less and exercise more...

Pretty standard article of its type. My excuse for posting it here;

A fatal flaw of CICO is practicality. What he says here may be true to some extent. He suggests a step counter to minimize decrease in activity, heart rate monitor to prevent decreases in intensity. Live on the Biggest Loser ranch? Professional bodybuilder, whose job is to get ripped? Might be reasonable to experience some temporary discomfort. If you have a job where you need to function at a higher level, being willing to experience that lethargy and fatigue isn't always reasonable, it might even be unethical to compromise your performance.

You could still use the step counter in other ways of course. If eating a certain way lead to increased spontaneous steps, or if it lead you to tend to walk two miles when you set out to walk one. If you look at CICO as the method, that's one thing, if you look at it as the desired result, that's another.

I've never been a fan of CICO, at least when it has worked for me it is temporary....and cardio sucks for weight/fat loss IMO:

"it can become easy to avoid tracking your heart rate or RPM during your cardio sessions. You might think you're going at the same intensity, but you're actually producing less energy output, lessening your calorie deficit."

Last edited by wyatt : Mon, Apr-16-18 at 08:02.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 08:00

BF:

At a high enough body weight, even walking is resistance training. Or even at a lower body weight, if what it's being compared to is total bed rest or otherwise being very sedentary. I feel better if I get in some minimum of walking through the day, even on top of working out with weights. Never got much out of high volume aerobics though, I don't seem to get a training effect, no noticeable improvement from running. The only thing that seems to improve that for me is losing weight.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 08:02

BF:

And CICO--I can force things and get leaner, but the pressure to regain gets to me, I experience all of that increase in appetite, tendency to binge, and lack of motivation to do anything. The fellow's saying decide to do more, maybe that would work but if you stop wanting to do something, you're not real likely to do it. Seems like that should go without saying.