Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 04:03

Plan: Atkins/TKD
Stats: 164/150.5/125
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question Newbie weight training question

Hey all - this is my first post in this forum, so apologies in advance if i ask something that's already been asked......i used the search function but haven't found an answer to this specific question....

I just started my weights program today (I've done weights in the past, but haven't for a fair while).....but I've been doing a weights-based aerobic-style class for the past week - Pump (based on the Les Mills system if any of u know it - all the classes at my gym are very Les Mills oriented)......it's basically a fairly high speed workout using a barbell - covers all the major muscle groups.......i love it - can really feeeeeeeel it workin *lol*

Anyways, obviously I can't do Pump and my weights program on consecutive days, cos I know you have to give your muscles a day to recover.........but, i don't want to give up my Pump! Ideally, I'd just do them one after the other, so it'd be like a 2 hour session........but, that's not possible with my schedule. My Pump class is an hour before work, so I can't stick around at the gym after it to do weights..........I can't go back until lunchtime.

So, my question is, how long after a session do muscles start the repair process? I know they're doing that the next day.....but does it start even within a few hours of a session? In other words, would it be okay for me to do my Pump class, then go back a few hours later and do my weights? Or would that be bad for my muscles? I'm going to be doing weights 3 days a week - and I'd like to do Pump on 2 of those days.....

Okay, I'll quit rambling now - sorry for being so long and drawn-out...........thanx in advance if anybody has any advice!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 09:19

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Not sure what Pump is.....you might want to PM trainerdan or fern for their input?

My understanding....and it might be completely wrong....is that muscles pretty much start to repair themselves fairly quickly.

Cindy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 09:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Beemer, I've read up about those Pump classes, sounds like a lot of fun and hard work!

My guesstimate about this would be that if you've done enough damage to those muscles to feel it the day after (DOMS) then going back that same day and working out would be doing yourself a disservice. The microtears that you create in your muscles happen when you lift, so they'd be there later that day, pain or no pain.

When you do these Pump classes do you increase the barbell weight each time? Or does it remain constant? If you do not increase it then after a while you'll be less and less sore after your workouts because of less and less microtearing - perhaps then you'd be able to lift as well?

I'm going to ask agonycat to have a boo at this, she's just taken a Fitness Certificate Program

Cheers,
Nat

p.s. You won't be able to PM if you try as you have less than 25 posts, and this way everyone gets the benefit of the answer
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 16:21

Plan: Atkins/TKD
Stats: 164/150.5/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thanks for the input so far....very much appreciated!!

Natrushka, I actually feel honoured to get a response from you - I've read so much of what you've written on the boards the past few days....you're definitely a huge inspiration!! So, thanks for taking the time to respond

Yup, Pump is a lotta fun....and I find it's a really good way to stay motivated because you're in a class full of people, which means there's no way you wanna look like a quitter...hehe So basically you have no choice but to stick it out for the whole hour - and it makes you feel really good afterwards!! Yes, the aim is to be able to increase the weights on your barbell over time, just like in regular weights sessions......but, you choose what weights you wanna use - you go completely at your own pace - I'm only on small weights right now since I've just started........but, I was thinking along the same lines as you Nat - maybe if I keep my weights fairly low and don't increase them too fast, I'll be able to minimise the damage from the classes so I can go back and do my regular weights a few hours later......because, I really wanna find a way to do both..........I guess I must be a masochist *lol*

I'll wait and see if agonycat has an opinion

Thanks again!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 07:36

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Good morning

Muscles start to repair themselves almost immediately.

I don't think there is a national standard on the maximum workouts you can do in a week or day, there does seems to be a minimum for health benefits. 2-3 times a week.

I would say it is totally up to your fitness levels. If I was your trainer, I would suggest you work into it slowly since you just got back into it. Do the pump classes for 4-6 weeks to condition the heart, lungs and circulatory system, and build muscle. After the sixth week, add in a light lift twice a week (spaced by at least 48 hours) and see how it feels. Add more weight to these 2 lifts every couple of weeks. When you feel you can handle 3 lifts per week go for it. But remember to keep the weights light for a couple of weeks and increase gradually. The point is to "condition" the muscles to the workload.....not strain them so much that you tear them up.

You never want to go full out on training muscles from the start, as you could injure yourself, which would pretty much bench you. Totally the opposite of what we want

Good luck