Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 11:47

Plan: Low carb vegetarian
Stats: 220/195/155 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Any diabetics here?

Hi!

I`m Tamara, a norwegian diabetic who really wants to go back to being vegetarian. (I`m type 2, so no insulinshots.) I was a vegetarian for several years before I got diagnosed in January last year. When I started using a meter to measure my bloodglucoselevels, I soon discovered that being vegetarian AND keeping my numbers in check was really hard. So, I started eating meat again. I still do, but I really, really want to stop.

So, I was wondering if anyone here is diabetic, and maybe even type 2? What do you eat, and how are your BG-numbers on this diet?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 14:17

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Hi!

I'm Type 2 and was vegetarian for 19 years. I have recently been back into it to relieve the constant digestives issues I have been having...and rediscovered how much I love eating that way.

BUT I have put on weight.

3 days ago I restarted a weight loss effort. I am trying low calorie/high vegetable/low protein/and no or very little dairy and meats. I do eat seafood.

I think as a diabetic you must give up grains and potatoes until you hit goal, and then limit them to 1/4 c. at a time. Starchy carbs drive blood sugar skyward, which aggravates the cycle of making your cells more resistant to insulin...so it stores your blood sugar instead, as fat. Meanwhile, your cells are starving and making you want to eat. It's a vicious cycle driven by starchy carbs and/or excessive intake of non-starchy carbs or protein.

You can eat; eggs and dairy, tofu, soy tempeh (read labels...don't get the kind made from wheat and/or barley), other soy products (read label...lots of them are lowish in carbs!) and all non-starchy vegetables. My goal is to eat about 400 g vegetables (measured raw) daily.

I've been having soy chorizo in scrambled eggs, and last night I fried up a couple of strips of tempeh in a little olive oil and soy sauce. Last night I did have maybe 2 oz or less of beef in a fajita thingie I made. I mostly ate the veggies (poblano, yellow bell, and onion) and none of the rice.

Nuts and seeds are for later stages in the Atkins regimen, but if you can control your amounts, it might work for you to have small amounts of those daily. Watch the carb count.

Lastly I have to watch the calories. YMMV.

Good luck!!

Last edited by gonwtwindo : Sat, May-12-12 at 14:25.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 14:22

Oops...forgot to add:

Since I am only on Day 3 of low carb/low cal/low animal products I don't have much insight as to my BG.

On regular Atkins, I could stop taking my meds and my sugars would remain normal. While eating vegetarian (until recently) I was taking 500 mg. Metformin (Glucophage) in the morning and at night. For the last 3 days I have cut it down to once in the morning. I plan to try going off it...let's keep in touch and we'll share experiences.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 03:47

Plan: Low carb vegetarian
Stats: 220/195/155 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for answering me!

I`m on 1000mg Metformin. 500 morning and 500 afternoon/evening.

I live in Norway, and it`s VERY limited what I can get of meatreplacements. We have 3 types of Quorn (UK has atleast 20 different), a few different sausages, 2-3 types of burgers and a few kinds of "meat"balls. And that`s it... I can get some tofu, but I have never seen Tempeh or seitan anywhere...

My problem with meatreplacements has been that even though they are high in protein, they also have carbs in them. Meat doesn`t. So if I eat a normal portion meatreplacements, I`ve already "used up" some of the carbs I can eat in that meal...

But, I really don`t like eating meat, and would loooove to be able to eat vegetarian. I might settle for pescetarian if I find that being vegetarian is too hard, but I want to give it a try.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 15:58

Hey Tamara, how's it going?