Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 04:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%
Default So my dogs are low carbing too...

I was thinking about carbs and how detrimental they are to humans so that got me to thinking about my Pugs and their diet. I searched out how much carbs in the food I buy (Grain free) and found it was 48% carbs! Mostly starchy stuff. Low in protein and fat.

So I searched "Low carb dog food" and was shocked to see that if you want actual low carb food that's real food..it's $100.00 for a 20 lb bag. Yikes!!!

So I then searched "how to make low carb dog food" and found a great easy recipe that's mostly chicken, ground beef, and tuna, along with some veggies, eggs and cottage cheese, and coconut oil.

You get everything cooked and then you food process it down to chunks.

My Puggies loved it. Both have a weight problem as Pugs aren't active and LOVE to eat but I suspect, the carby food was a substantial part of their weight problem.

I bought the leg/thigh 5lb bag for 60 cents a lb so the cost was very reasonable also.

I believe that this is a good thing for them, I wish I'd thought of it years ago.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 04:36
To Good Health!

Plan: IF Fung/LC Westman/Primal
Stats: 222/171/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/25.3%/24%
Progress: 96%

You can find many ideas on-line for real pet foods, and what cheap cuts work, including the Catkins diet for any pudgy purrers. I follow veterinarian Travis Einertson because he now is managing his own cancer with LC, but years ago he talked about a Catkins Diet on a podcast.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...kins-diet/25052

http://foodmed.net/listing/united-s...rtson-low-carb/

Dr Shawn Baker, guru of the Zero Carb and Meat Heals crowd, has his (much larger) dog on meat only.

Best wishes your pugs slim down, get shiny coats and sparkling eyes. Too many pudgy pugs in the US

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jun-16-18 at 02:15.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 06:06

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/128/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 106%

I feed my dog a mixture of raw US Wellness meats pet burger (ground beef, beef heart, beef liver) and Dr Harveys fine ground veg to Bowl with coconut oil and calcium added. I decided after my last dog died of cancer that my next dog would eat food that met the same high standards that I apply to the food I eat. My last dog got high quality kibble and it probably had nothing to do with his cancer but maybe not. My current dog is now 10 years old (almost) and weighs 10 pounds. He walks 4-6 miles a day with me with no problem.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 06:07
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Wow, I didn't even think you could buy low-carb dog food...

That's great that you can make your own. Your furbabies are lucky to have you!

Anyhoo... when I did my final re-start back in 2013, my lil dog (almost 8 lbs of terror now) lost 2 lbs b/c he wasn't getting the carby table scraps!

BTW: I think my lil dog is a chihuahua/pug mix, he's got that tight muscular body of the pug...so I call him a Chug!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 06:21

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 000/013/015 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Fascinating thread.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 07:40

Thanks for chiming in everyone!

I didn't realize that there was a "Catkins"..that's great.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 08:25

So after doing just a bit of research I'll say that I'm flabbergasted at the state of dog and cat food that is available to buy. It's just as screwed up as the human food industry!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 10:04

Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Interesting, as I've noticed more advertising for pet foods, dog and cat, that have far more protein from good sources than the mostly cereal that the market leader back in the day (Purina) used to sell. These species need good protein and fat in their diets. It's how my dogs used to do their best.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 14:03
Registered Member

Plan: SB Delivery now Carnivore
Stats: 265/249/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Dogs are carnivores and only eat our food from thousands of years of domestication. It likely is very bad for them just as it is for us...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 14:05
Registered Member

Plan: SB Delivery now Carnivore
Stats: 265/249/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Interesting, as I've noticed more advertising for pet foods, dog and cat, that have far more protein from good sources than the mostly cereal that the market leader back in the day (Purina) used to sell. These species need good protein and fat in their diets. It's how my dogs used to do their best.

Great point - most cat and dog foods do not have enough fat in them and our pets are undernourished. I have to supplement my cat with extra fat from our own meats.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 18:41
Maintaining

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 62 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 78%

My DearDog Frodo is 12 and was born with something amiss in his digestive system. I've an ongoing struggle to keep him eating anything at all.

Couple of weeks ago I made the keto bread from dietdoctor website. I think it was the naan bread. Anyway, I added some pieces to his bowl of food. He likes it. Not only that, but for the first time in years his stools are healthy.

Mr. Frodo Baggins, the Low-Carb Poodle.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 18:53

Plan: A72
Stats: 188/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

My dogs eat mostly hamburger or fish with zucchini and pumpkin plus added bone meal.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 21:20
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta
Dogs are carnivores and only eat our food from thousands of years of domestication. It likely is very bad for them just as it is for us...
Yeah, I've fed a raw prey based meat diet for years including fish, eggs and organ meats some fish or meat based "holistic" grain-free kibble for balance.

My two stand out in the line at the mobile vet clinics with their bright eyes, no dull coats and tartar-free teeth. My previous golden lived healthy right up to the end at 13 dying of natural causes. Also no dogie odor, or big piles of dung in the yard to clean up from all the filler in most pet foods.

It's crazy pushing grain-based or veggie diets even for cats that are obligate carnivores!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 06:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal
Stats: 171/155/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good for you. I wish everyone would get their pets off grains, at the very least. My childhood cat had to have insulin shots in his older age, and I'm sure neither my mom nor the vet would have bothered saying, "hey, why don't we just feed him species-appropriate food?"

I started a thread a while back lamenting the fact that I could feed two adults totaling 300 lbs for maybe $50-$100/month. My 80-lb german shepherd was fed raw, and that cost $50-$75/month. We took in my dad's cat, feed her grain-free canned food... and it costs us $50/month to feed a 6-lb cat! There has to be a less expensive way to do this, but I'm not sure I'm up to all the cooking. From what I've read, it's not as easy for cats as it was for dogs. For the dog, I'd hand him a chicken leg with back attached, or whatever other cheap boney meat I'd find. Occasionally feed him organ meats and cooked meat/egg scraps. Boom, done.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Jun-16-18 at 06:53.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 08:28

Well, so far so good!

They are very perky, they LOVE the food, and their breath is actually ok (as opposed to the horrible breath they had on the commercial food