Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-15, 16:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179/150 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress:
Default Super new....

Hi - I'm super new to hypothyroidism and wondered if anyone has recommendations or suggestions. I fall right on the border of what's considered normal in my blood work but I have several of the symptoms - hair loss, fatigue, brain fog, unable to lose weight, achy; insomnia, etc. but my Doc contributes it to menopause more than anything and suggests joining weight watchers or something of the likes - that way if I lose some weight all the other symptoms should get better - that has not worked in the past and I don't expect it to work now. I've been reading on natural thyroid supplements and fell into this site. Are they places one can get a natural remedy without a prescription - any help would be appreciated. I'm desperate to feel like myself again after several years of trying to find answers....thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 11:38

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have to agree with your doctor, those sound like classic menopause symptoms. I've had success treating those symptoms with bio-identical progesterone, please let me know if you want more information.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-15, 14:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Kidchick, have you had all the thyroid indicators run, or just TSH? If you have previously had a full panel done, and are using TSH to monitor the effectiveness of supplementation, then it may be enough. If not, though, you might look into getting a full thyroid panel on your own, and finding out if you are truly in normal ranges for your thyroid function.

On one level, your doctor is right, because peri menopausal women can exhibit all those symptoms. On a more basic level, though, the doc is wrong: peri menopause is when many women start to exhibit signs of a slowdown in thyroid function.