Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 10:41

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default "Fitday.com" question

I just started to use this tool for LCing and I have questions.

When I entered my items, such as zucchini the system assumed I ate either a medium or large one. I only ate about 1/2 cup.

When I entered my delicious, 0 carb., 0 sugar blue cheese dressing - it charged me the full amount.

Is there any way to override the system and change figures. I did try customizing but that did nothing.

Because of the set system, my carbs came over 20 for induction.
Yes, I could mentally subtract or make a note to myself but
I was wondering what you fellow people do with regards to
fitday.

I would like to continue to use this service.

looking forward to your responses.

A Thin Me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 12:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: "Fitday.com" question

Quote:
Originally posted by A thin me!
When I entered my items, such as zucchini the system assumed I ate either a medium or large one. I only ate about 1/2 cup.

When I entered my delicious, 0 carb., 0 sugar blue cheese dressing - it charged me the full amount.

Is there any way to override the system and change figures. I did try customizing but that did nothing.

Fitday can take some tweaking, but once you get the hang of it you can overcome most of it's drawbacks. For the zucchini and the like (I have this problem with cucumbers) I took a med one and cut it up to see how much of a cup it equalled and then just used fraction i.e. .5 med cucumber = 1/2 cup.

Same for the dressing (all dressings have SOME carbs); most of them default to a cup, but a tablespoon is availabe, change the amount in the pull down / drop down box. If a smaller quantity is not an option you can use fractions i.e 4 tbsp would be .25 cup (240 ml cup = 60 ml in 4 tbsp).

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 04:36

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

While we are on fitday I was wondering if anyone had a better site. It does not like the same vegies I like - fennel, spaghetti squash, bok choy, etc. I am getting frustrated trying to figure out how to beat the system. Susan
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 06:09

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default ABOUT THAT DRESSING ???

Hi Thin Me ! Who makes the 0 carb, 0 sugar dressing? Do you buy it at the regular grocery? All I can find are italian--- would love something different.
Thanks ! Ellie
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 07:18

BF:

Hi!

The dressing I use is "Maries" creamy and sometimes Blue Cheese with hunks of cheese. They carry others, too but I love Blue Cheese so I only get that.

I find it at my Jewel Food stores in the salad department - it is kept cold. You might want to try your major stores.

Hope this helps,

A Thin Me!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 11:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

Just a word of caution about "zero carb" salad dressings, or zero carb anything.

Even plain mayonnaise has a trace of carbs from eggs, and the bleu cheese will have traces of carbs too. Check the ingredients list on the label, I'm sure you'll see at least one or two things that contain carbs at least in trace amounts.

Corrine T. Netzer's Complete Book of Food Counts lists Marie's Bleu Cheese dressing at 3g carb per 2 Tbsp serving.

Be aware that in the US, food labels are only required to declare carbs to the nearest whole number, and they're often rounded DOWN ... ie, 1.5g becomes 1g. And, there's another loophole in US labelling law, that permits manufacturers to declare a food as "zero" carbs, if a "normal serving" has less than 1g carb in it, even if the true count is 0.9g.

For foods such as cream and cheese, artificial sweeteners in scoopable bulk form or in the little paper packets ... and salad dressings .... the "normal serving size" that gets listed on the label is small ... so of course, the manufacturer will list the carbs per serving as "zero". This can be very misleading ... because we think the food is 100% carb-free, we're more likely to eat a larger amount of it than what is listed as a "normal serving". And those 0.5g and 0.9g portions can add up quickly.

For the record, in Canada and elsewhere in the world, the law requires that carbs be declared to the nearest 1/10th of a gram (0.1) if a "normal serving" has less than 10g total carbs in it. So, the products I listed above will have accurate carb counts.

I've seen Marie's gourmet salad dressings and dips here in the refrigerated section, or in the chilled section of the produce aisle. There's a similar gourmet dressing here in Canada, Renee's, which I love ... and the chunky bleu cheese is completely sugar-free ... the carb count is 0.7g per level Tbsp (15 ml or ½ fl oz).

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:43

BF:
Unhappy Oppssssssss!!

Boy is my face RED!!!!

See, I am new - so I do not know all of the nitty-gritty.

Thanks, I can see where you would be mistaken when you
see the "O"s.

Can I ask you a question?

ECC - I see this sometimes with posts and receipes, what is it and is the number I track when counting carbs. or not? Please advise.

Thanks again for the information and good thing I don't dump
alot of dressing..... guess I will have to check for another one.
Would I better off using a sugre-free or diabetic dressing?

A Thin Me
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default ECC's

Pam, ECC refer to Effective Carbohydrate Count. ECC is the Carb total minus the fiber in a food. Fiber is a carb but it cannot be digested by your body and therefor has no effect on insulin. i.e. if a food has 9g of carbs and 5g of fiber then the ECC would be 4g. Using the ECC is something that started with Protein Power but has been adopted by many other LC plans, Atkins included. ECC permits you more carbs and more variety in your menus.

HTH
Nat
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default and watch out for ....

Sugarfree or Diabetic products... even Dr. A warns about them, as often the sugar is replaced with carby sugar alcohols or some other mysterious thing.

Continue to read labels carefully keeping an eye on the Serving Size, and the Ingredient List, and you will do very well.

Dressings, the safest bet is read the labels carefully, the 2nd-safest best (if you can't get a label) is a 'savory' (not sweet) creamy full-fat non-diet dressing, like Blue Cheese or real Ranch.

PS: we ALL started at the beginning, not to worry... that's why we share this stuff here.