Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 15:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCookys
And Im HUNGRY!!! Starving actually! I already blew my caloric intake today bc of the Pork Chop and Lamb Chop that I brought with me to work today. Tomorrow, Ill be having three egg whites, water, salad, and three chicken breast, so Ill be doing much better. But it seems like all I can think about is food. Is anyone also taking appetite suppresants?

It'll pass. Don't try to go too low, too quickly. It takes time before you get the hunger under control.

Another thing is he mentioned that protein is the stuff that satisfies your hunger, although fat keeps you from getting hungry so soon. So if you're hungry, go eat something high protein.

Also, I'm using Casein protein powder like he mentioned in his book. I find it helps me delay eating breakfast for a couple of hours. I found it at www.trueprotein.com. I just got the plain and I mix in SF syrups and a few raspberries, hood FF milk, although I might switch water for milk and save 70 calories.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 16:01
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

just wanted to mention a couple of great foods for doing this!!
1) there is a 1% fat no salt cottage cheese in my grocery store (beware, I bought one at walmart one day, different brand and it was disgusting) and it is DELICIOUS with a little grapefruit crystal lite powder sprinkled in.

2) buy the low carb skim milk by hood. Heat it so that you can ALMOST see bubbles at the sides where the milk touches the side of the pot and gently stir in a few tbs of dannone fat free plain yogurt. Let it sit in a warm area for 6-14 hours and voila, delicious mild fat free yogurt. It tastes great with just a drop of stevia in it.

3) cook up some lean ground beef and rinse it in a strainer when you're finished cooking to get the rest of the fat off, eat it with minced onion and low carb ketchup and salt, it really tastes like a higher quality fast food burger.
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 16:23
Experimenter

BF:

Sounds good, Meg! I should get off my lazy butt and make some yogurt. I put SF syrups on my low fat CC, which I usually get from Trader Joe's. It tastes ok to me. I've never been a huge CC fan, but I'm actually enjoying it with the SF syrup.

I also wanted to say something about salt, I've seen a few references to low-salt things. One of the concerns on this diet is with electrolyte balances because it is very diuretic. Lyle actually recommends not avoiding salt and even adding more salt to your diet by salting your veggies.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 17:05
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

btw: the no salt thing was just because it tastes better with crystal lite than the salty cottage cheese
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 17:08

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

I also wanted to say something about salt, I've seen a few references to low-salt things. One of the concerns on this diet is with electrolyte balances because it is very diuretic. Lyle actually recommends not avoiding salt and even adding more salt to your diet by salting your veggies.

Nancy, at first I didn't pay attention to this, since I rarely salt my food, but after getting leg cramps the first night or two, I started salting everything that doesn't walk away! I use a mixture of real salt and phony salt (KCl).
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 18:02
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_S
btw: the no salt thing was just because it tastes better with crystal lite than the salty cottage cheese

Ah! That would make sense.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 21:04
Experimenter

BF:

Hey, just wanted to share a brain storm I had tonight. I was lamenting the lack of anything sweet and I suddenly remembered the existence of Sugar Free Popsicles in the Universe! I went to the store and found not only SF popsicles, but CreamSicles and FudgeSicles. They range from 10-35 calories and nicely fit the bill for a sweet treat.
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 22:43

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I am struggling with our range of diet salad dressings here in Aus. BLEGH! They all are made a bit sweet to compensate for the lack of oil and I loathe that. But I can't eat salad dry either..

Any ideas about how to do this while travelling?? I thought I would get my body ready by starting before I leave in hopes that my body will start to adapt by eating less food, and just try to get lower cal/eat less while away, but it is going to be hard.

I also find that my carb intake is up slightly with all the veg, but still under 40..but calories today will be around 760, which must be half my normal intake. If this doesn't give my body a surprise, I don't know what would, short of amputation.

I have always loved cottage cheese thankfully. I may try to make a mock ranch dressing by blending the heck out of some.
We can't get ff sour cream here.

Val
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 05:51
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

Well, I survived day 1

I had an extra "snack" of 3 oz of beef jerky after dinner last night. I brought an extra snack of 2 oz with me to work today. So that if I get the "rumblies in my tumbly" again this morning I will have some to nibble on. Tonight I am going to add an extra salad with whatever veggies DH cooks up with dinner. Hopefully that will help with the after dinner hungries.

I am so lucky that my DH is 150% supportive of whatever I want to do. He does the cooking M-Thu since he works from home. It does make it rather impossible to really track things but he knows what I can and can't have and I have "portioned out" the meat (he knows to stay away from the pork ).

Debbie
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 06:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
I was taking Hoodia (Desert Burn) for a while (Feb - April) and noticed a DEFINITE lack of appetite with that. However, it got a little too pricy for me.

Ha ha! I was looking at it in a local health food store, and when I saw the price, I thought, "holy crap, I'm not that hungry!"

I've been eating a lot of cauliflower soup. It's a tasty way to get veggies without adding fat. Add some onion, garlic, bell pepper, seasoning, and about 1/3 head cauliflower to about a cup of boiling broth or water in a saucepan. Cover and let it boil/steam for about 20 minutes. Puree. Add some more broth to thin. It's awesome, and it's even good cold like a faux vichysoisse.

I'll be trying a little harder this week. I had a lot of extra fatty foods to use up last week. Sunday was a big family <strike>clash</strike> get-together. I had a pretty significant <strike>binge</strike> refeed. I've wiped the slate clean for this week. I had a heck of a workout yesterday.
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 06:38

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Soup is great. I did a huge crockpot one today..heaps of veggies plus a steak cut up, beef stock and some Indian spices.
Dob of yogurt on it. I may need to eat more protein tomorrow as there was only 35g of steak and I ate 1/3 of the soup.

Apart from hating ff dressings I am doing fine so far..but having to travel for 10 days, am worried I can't keep it up then.

Congrats Debbie for giving it a start. the fact that you are this hungry could mean that maybe you don't need to lower your calories quite as much as some of us do who have a few less lbs to lose.

Val
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 07:03

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

So what abt weigh ins? I know that this might seem premature, but has anyone lost and additional pounds?
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 07:05

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%
Default EC Stack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcaver
Looks like you have something on your list for your "free" meal!

I take an EC stack 3x a day, but have been cycling (8 weeks on/4 weeks off)since fall, and never really noticed a lack of appetite before. I was taking Hoodia (Desert Burn) for a while (Feb - April) and noticed a DEFINITE lack of appetite with that. However, it got a little too pricy for me. I'm guessing my lack of hunger now is from the protein.

Ive hearb about the ECA stack, but only ephedrine and caffeine? ALso, how do you still get products with ephedra? In doing research on the ECA stack, i heard excellent reviews. Have you noticed that the EC stack helps?
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 08:02
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
So what abt weigh ins? I know that this might seem premature, but has anyone lost and additional pounds?

One woman has averaged 1 pound a day, but she's got longer to go than some of us. I've lost 7.5 pounds so far in 3.5 weeks. Not bad for someone who was stalled for the better part of a year.

For me it isn't exactly fast, but my metabolism is rotten anyway.

Last week I didn't lose anything but on my free meal day, I lost .5 a pound. Then the next day, today, 1 pound. This is pretty typical for me, whenever I diet to stall out briefly then have a nice dip.

Hmmm... traveling would definitely not be as easy as on Atkins. If you are in a hotel with a fridge, you could haved bagged prewashed greens, pre-cooked chicken. Maybe at breakfast ask for scrambled eggs with only whites? Or perhaps egg-beaters? Hmmm.... at fast food joints salads with chicken, hold the croutons and cheese. Ask for the FF dressing, everyone seems to have it. Or you could just plan to take a break from the diet, go onto maintenance for the duration.

Soup! Yes! I was struck by a craving for soup over the weekend. I did my usual buy frozen stuff, pre-made stock and slapped together a chicken/vegetable soup with large hunks of chicken. I want to try a pureed soup next time.

I also make a lot of saucy chicken and vegetable dishes. Trader Joe's has some really good sauces that are low fat, low calorie. I sautee onions and garlic, add in chicken, cook it, pour the sauce and some assortment of frozen vegetables and let it cook for awhile. Then I eat left overs all week.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Jun-21-05 at 08:14.
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: Mostly Atkins
Stats: 158.2/138/128 Female 5'8"
BF:sz12/8/6
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Ive hearb about the ECA stack, but only ephedrine and caffeine? ALso, how do you still get products with ephedra? In doing research on the ECA stack, i heard excellent reviews. Have you noticed that the EC stack helps?

Products containing ephedra marketed as an aid in weight loss are no longer available, although you can buy the components separately. A typical dose is 25 mg ephedra, 200 mg caffeine, and 80 mg aspirin, but please double check that and the side effects carefully before you start taking it. Usually ephedra can be found by the name Vasopro on many body building supplement websites. It's usually about 10 bucks for 48 tablets.

I have recently started taking it this past week, but feel that the amounts above are almost too strong--I can hardly force myself to eat it seems. I am going to begin taking half that dose. It is also important to not take it longer than 3-5 days at a time, then 2 days off as a cycle. Ephedra is something that should be given a lot of consideration and care before adding it in, especially if you take other medications. I am not recommending that anyone take it or not--just thought I would post my own experience with it.