Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 03:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

HealClinic Response.

https://healclinics.com/recent-stud...ets-are-unsafe/

Quote:
Recent Study Wrongly Claims That Low-Carb Diets Are Unsafe
by Jacqueline Eberstein RN

The study Dietary carbohydrate intake and mortality: a prospective cohort study and meta-analysis has been receiving enormous press coverage following its recent publication in the British journal The Lancet.

The study’s interpretation reads, “Both high and low percentages of carbohydrate diets were associated with increased mortality, with minimal risk observed at 50–55% carbohydrate intake. Low carbohydrate dietary patterns favouring animal-derived protein and fat sources, from sources such as lamb, beef, pork, and chicken, were associated with higher mortality, whereas those that favoured plant-derived protein and fat intake, from sources such as vegetables, nuts, peanut butter, and whole-grain breads, were associated with lower mortality, suggesting that the source of food notably modifies the association between carbohydrate intake and mortality.”

That is, the study reaches two conclusions: (1) both high- and low-carb diets increase mortality relative to moderate carb diets, and (2) low-carb plant-based diets are safer than animal-based diets.
Should we be concerned about low-carb diets, and particularly animal-based ones?

Not in the very least based on this epidemiological study that used two food frequency questionnaires (FFQs) administered six years apart asking participants to recall how often they ate certain foods.
First, epidemiological studies, including those that use FFQs, cannot demonstrate dietary cause-and-effect because they cannot isolate the effects of diet from confounding lifestyle, genetic, environmental, health and psychosocial factors.

Second, FFQs are very imperfect research tools. I have personal experience with FFQs having been involved in the second Nurses Study since the 1970s. I periodically complete a multiple-choice FFQ that asks me to recall the food I ate over an entire year. It is impossible for me to fit in a form everything I ate over a 12-month span even if I could possibly remember food types and quantities – which I can’t.

Our position remains resolute: We have an abundance of valid, well-conducted scientific and clinical research that demonstrates the safety and efficacy of proper low-carbohydrate, high-fat diets, including those that are animal-based. This study does not refute the evidence.
The serious trouble with these types of studies is that their flawed conclusions are frequently publicized with authoritative language that confuses and scares rather than educates. Moreover, this study will feed – pun intended – the positions of individuals and groups that deride low-carb diets and animal-based diets even if they lack credible evidence, which this study certainly does not provide.

As Dr. Eric Westman posted this week on Facebook’s Low-Carb Support Group “Great rebuttal by Dr. Eenfeldt [of DietDoctor.com] about overblown media attention to nutritional epidemiology study. You know, after my patients with type 2 diabetes, obesity, hypertension, etc. have lengthened their life and have better quality of life because they no longer have these diseases and are no longer taking medications, they know how to be careful consumers of this type of research. Please don’t be distracted!!”

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-21-18 at 03:58.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 07:07

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

More silliness from ScienceDaily today;

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...80820164248.htm

Quote:
Eating a diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains and low in added sugar, sodium and processed meats could help promote healthy cellular aging in women, according to a new study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology.

"The key takeaway is that following a healthy diet can help us maintain healthy cells and avoid certain chronic diseases," said lead author Cindy Leung, assistant professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. "Emphasis should be placed on improving the overall quality of your diet rather than emphasizing individual foods or nutrients."

In the study, researchers used telomere length to measure cellular aging.

Telomeres are DNA-protein structures located on the ends of chromosomes that promote stability and protect DNA. Age is the strongest predictor of telomere length -- telomeres shorten in length during each cell cycle.

However, recent studies have shown that telomeres can also be shortened due to behavioral, environmental and psychological factors. Shorter telomeres have been associated with an increased risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers.

Leung and colleagues examined the diets of a nationally representative sample of nearly 5,000 healthy adults and how well they scored on four evidence-based diet quality indices, including the Mediterranean diet, the DASH diet and two commonly used measures of diet quality developed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

For women, higher scores on each of the indices were significantly associated with longer telomere length.

"We were surprised that the findings were consistent regardless of the diet quality index we used," Leung said. "All four diets emphasize eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and plant-based protein and limiting consumption of sugar, sodium and red and processed meat.

"Overall, the findings suggest that following these guidelines is associated with longer telomere length and reduces the risk of major chronic disease."

Co-author Elissa Epel, professor of psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco, said "the commonality to all of the healthy diet patterns is that they are antioxidant and anti-inflammatory diets. They create a biochemical environment favorable to telomeres."

In men, the findings were in the same direction, but not statistically significant.

"We have seen some gender differences in previous nutrition and telomere studies," Leung said. "In our study, as well as in previous studies, men tended to have lower diet quality scores than women. Men also had higher intakes of sugary beverages and processed meats, both of which have been associated with shorter telomeres in prior studies.

"It's possible that not all foods affect telomere length equally and you need higher amounts of protective foods in order to negate the harmful effects of others. However, more research is needed to explore this further."

Needing to explain why there's no apparent effect in men... higher amounts of "protective" foods? Well, a serving of avocado is going to be a higher percentage of total calories for the average woman than for the average woman compared to the average man, there's that.

Quote:
"We were surprised that the findings were consistent regardless of the diet quality index we used," Leung said. "All four diets emphasize eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and plant-based protein and limiting consumption of sugar, sodium and red and processed meat.

That's what happens when you keep rebranding the same bloody diet and calling it something new. Especially when the measure of dietary compliance is a one-day food journal. You got the same results, probably because the people scoring highest in these different groups were pretty much the same people. This is a weakness of the study posed as a strength of consistency.

Quote:
In men, the findings were in the same direction, but not statistically significant.

I find this vaguely unethical. Some people will see this and say, okay no findings here. A lot of people in the public may read this as there being a lesser protective effect for men, but still one there. There is no "non-statistical correlation but a trend towards" as write ups for studies like this often put it... because the difference between diets for men was too small to be sure it wasn't just noise.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 07:46
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Nina Teicholz posted the actual survey questionnaire on her twitter feed. It's ridiculous. This study is so far removed from real science.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 08:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Teaser, just read on another thread that one of the Harvard professors says coconut oil is a poison. That makes me question the health criteria of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Likely a faulty measurement of "healthy"
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 08:52

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Isn't it sad that people who rely on the media for fact checking and objective reporting are subjected to false information published by an official sounding periodical like the American Journal of Epidemiology? If people knew what epidemiology was, there would be no need to publish this information. Havard's T.H. Chan School of Public Health lends an authoritative tone in the massively distorted and non-factual pieces being published today. There is an agenda here that Walt Willett and his minions have promoted for quite some time under the guise of nutritional research and the promotion of health. Very damaging, but it must be a great gig to have until retirement if you have no conscience and can qualify for the position.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 08:53

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Somebody needs to warn people about the dangers of macadamia nuts, so I can afford to buy them again.

Coconut oil can increase ldl cholesterol compared to polyunsaturated fat, some people can't seem to get past caring about that.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 09:03

BF:

Kinda reminds me of the Firesign Theatre album, "Everything You Know Is Wrong." Yeah, I'm dating myself.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 09:04

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Oops. I first read as "academia nuts." Yeah, someone needs to warn them. Macadamia nuts. Got it.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 09:05

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

ROFL

Hopefully the macedamia nut producers are making out, and not the middle man.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Aug-21-18 at 12:08.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 09:35

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

Rob, I was just thinking of a line from Firesign Theatre yesterday- I was feeling so good, with my brain running on ketones:

“I'm high on the real things: powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine.” FT

Last edited by DancinGurl : Wed, Aug-22-18 at 05:12.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 09:53

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinGurl
Rob, I was just thinking of a line from Firesign Theatre yesterday- I was feeling so good, with my brain running on ketones:

“I'm high on the real thing: powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine.” FT

You guys are doing better with your memories than I am - the only thing I can remember from FT is "We're all bozos on this bus."

Which is still true.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 10:00

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

We are all Bozos on the bus is a timeless truth!
I loved Nick Danger, Third Eye and The Giant Rat of Sumatra, brilliant parodies of film noir and Sherlock Holmes.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 12:15

BF:

Yes, sign up today, because we need more schooling for more students at More Science High. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 20:49

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 223/225/176 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: -4%

SO many good links and rebuttals to read, thanks guys!!

I saw that 'coconut oil is poison' article today too. I think any research connected to the Harvard name is quickly losing any credibility it once had with me. It seems like Harvard is a 'funding and money' whore more than anything else, and for the companies trying to sell the 80% of products in supermarkets that have sugar/carbs in them, they must be cranking out the research dollars to anyone willing to do 'research' to support their business bottom line.

It reminds me again of Gary Taubes' 'The Case Against Sugar' where he found proof of the sugar companies' burying any research that found that sugar was harmful, much like the tobacco companies did.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 03:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

And yet another good round-up of the criticisms by Marika Sboros:

http://foodmed.net/2018/08/low-carb...en-life-lancet/

Long response from Chris Kresser: https://chriskresser.com/will-a-low...rten-your-life/

John Schoonbee: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/low-...ee/?published=t

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-22-18 at 14:59.