Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 04:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 172/167/140
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Me too!!

Well I have been a member of Weight watchers Four times, not bad considering I am 23 later this month. My mother, 2 Aunties and cousin have all been members as well. Surprise, surprise we are all still fat, or at least fat again.

The worst thing about it is that they have us so brain washed that my mum, Aunties and until recently I still rave about it. Seems so stupid now I think about it but I guess I figured It was just my own fault.

But that's just wrong, surely the only measure of a diet's success is weight loss and maintainence.

Anyway I'm on the right track now!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 04:46

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hello all. Pardon me, I have been a member of this forum for a few weeks and only just discovered the fellow Aussie's! Sorry about that!

Weight Watchers huh!? I can tell you about them! I have been a member probably about 6 times!! The first time I went I lost a lot of weight but that was about 12 years ago. Looking back, I think the success of that program was because the carbs were limited. Then came along the fat and fibre diet where nothing worked because I was having lots of low fat muffins and low fat pasta sauces and baked potatoes (because they didn't have much fat but did have the fibre). Then came along the points and I don't think I lost more than 2 or 3 kilos on that program. The best way to have your points without going hungry was to stick the carbs. Obviously (well it is to me now) I was never going to lose weight on that because my carb intake was too high and my protein too low (meat cost too many points).

I also took a job as weigher at a meeting and got paid peanuts. I usually couldn't enjoy the meeting because I had to work and I don't think I lost anything the whole time I was doing the work. Since then, I haven't been back - and certainly don't intend to as I no longer believe in that way of life. I'm FREE!

Melberry
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 05:47

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy

While we are on this subject, my mother asked me to go start going to a weight loss meeting with her, not WW but another one. She said it's only $13 per week. After all I've told her about this WOE! I said a nice "no thank you but I'll stick with what I am doing". I may be on a stall but I am still losing size. I tried on some old clothes yesterday, my tight shirt fitted well, my way too tight shirt was just tight

Cheryl
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Way to go Cheryl!
I guess sooner or later your weight loss will speak louder to your mother than words!

Weight Watchers

Weight watchers is effective in loosing weight - if followed very rigorously, and you don't mind starving!

It's the keeping the weight off that doesn't work. Starvation can only occur for so long!

This is why I investigatied Low Carb. I thought - if I have to keep this wol (diet) up for the rest of my life, it might as well be with food I can enjoy and a starvation level I can control!

cya!

LC_Dave
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:10

Plan: Slim Forever
Stats: 74/73/63
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up Low fat

The main reason the low carb message is not getting out is because of the vested interest of many large diet corporations and food industry makers/suppliers. If people knew the truth about sugar, white flour, white rice etc then they would lose mega bucks so they fight against the low carb message.

It's only through word of mouth and forums such as this that the message will slowly filter through. It's up to us to prove that low carbing works and then others will jump on too.

Dianne
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:46

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Mum is only 10 kilos overweight but because she is short it looks just as bad as my 20.

She has been on a wide range of diets, WW, Easy slim even a doozy out of Slimming magazine, you were given a certain amount of food to eat, the more weight you wanted to lose, the more days you stretched that food over, I think she was eating 600cal when she stretched it over the maximum days.

As for me I was just as bad, I tried a Limmits diet. For a week I ate 3 meals a day consisting of Limmits biscuits and rode 5 kilometres on my bike each day. I lost 5 kilos, I also came close to fainting a few times. The weight went straight back on.

Cheryl
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 08:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/My Own
Stats: 97/83/68
BF:
Progress: 48%

Dianne is absolutely correct. The food manufacturers and diet industry (and to an extent the medical profession) have a vested interest in keeping us eating a high carb diet. Imagine what would happen if everyone started "living off the land" as it were - which is really what low-carbing is about - and eating natural foods focussing on meats, fats and low-carb fruit & veg. All those "convenience" foods would stop selling! No one would buy bread, TV dinners, chips, chocolate, biscuits, cakes, jams & spreads, soft drinks ... the list goes on.

It's hard message to sell - the low-fat/high-carb diet has been endorsed by so many 'health professionals' and government bodies that people just believe it but the western world grows fatter every year and heart disease and diabetes are at epidemic proportions. As Dr Atkins says in his book, before refined sugar and flour (in the form of Coke and white bread) hit the market, heart disease was unheard of! Yet we have been eating fat for centuries (in fact we eat less now than ever), and they blame the fat body on fat food. I can't believe they won't acknowledge the obvious correlation between increased carb intake and the increase in diet-related illness!

Rebecca
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 15:28

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

One thing I really hate is that most magazines that you pick up give nutrition advice based on the pyramid. I feel like yelling "no, no! That will make it worse!" I picked up the April edition of Good Medicine yesterday and was pleased to see a large editorial on "Can't lose weight? You Could Have Syndrome X". I also deal with a lot of doctors in my work and often when I visit them I can see papers and books with "Syndrome X" on it, so maybe some doctors are starting to pay attention. I guess if a nutritionist has done training based on the pyramid, it will be extremely difficult to change their ideas.

Melberry
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 00:36

Plan: Slim Forever
Stats: 74/73/63
BF:
Progress: 9%
Lightbulb maintenance

Rebecca, I know a girl who has successfully reached her weight through the Atkin's program and now that she is there she sticks to the program through the week and then on the weekend enjoys herself and then gets straight back on the program either Sunday night or Monday morning.

It works for her and she is able to maintain her weight and enjoy her lifestyle and some of the high carb foods as well. I hope that works for me when I get there. Like you I want to be able to have coffee and cake with my girlfriends once a month.

Sorry this is not exactly about WW but....

Dianne