Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  7 Months 90 pounds!!! Now i can be in the Navy

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 15:28
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Congratulations on your wonderful success! Thank you for sharing your story. Good luck in the Navy. Hope they don't feed you too many carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 13:11

Plan: The Atkins Diet
Stats: 192/124/115
BF:
Progress: 88%
Talking

Congrants on the weight loss. FYI: Military chow halls have lots of carbs. (My husband's in the Army) Be strong. Boot Camp will be fun. Enjoy it. Good Luck!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 07:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up Excellent!

Congratulations & thank you for sharing your story!

Hope everything goes well for you in the Navy and that you'll check in on us from time to time!

Good luck, loser!

Donald
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 14:14
Pending Member

Stats: 258/225/165
BF:
Progress: 35%

Shaun,

You have such an amazing story. Wow! I'm just thinking. If I lost 90lbs in 6 1/2 months or 7 months, how small i'll be. That is truly exciting to hear.

Thank you and congratulations.
Latosha
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 12:38

Plan: pregnancy
Stats: 235/212/165
BF:
Progress: 33%

I guess others were thinking what i was... my husband is in the navy, just got out of boot camp 5 months ago, they really load you up on carbs during boot camp, which on this way of life could be a bad thing, but on the other hand... you are going to be working out a lot... especially if your division gets in trouble, so hey if you ever feel you are gaining weight, just don't roll your underwear the right way and you can get a good work out... anyway good luck in the navy,... what job are you going to choose? would be neat if you came to our base or something.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 11:51

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Talking What a great story!

What is truly insprirational about your story is that you are a young man with your heart set on the navy and did all you had to do to get yourself there. Good for you! You have achieved something many people much older than you have not been able to. Don't ever lose your determination to go after your dreams.

Also, while in the navy, they may have tons of carb laden food, some of which you won't be able to avoid, but you can still choose to go with the healthier foods (plant, fat and protien based)and stay away from the crappier foods. Have someone send you a low carb care package from home

Good Luck in the Navy!

Kristi
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 12:27

BF:

the only problem with that is that when in boot camp no one can send you packages, especially not food. they have you on a strict diet for a reason. you work too hard to sluff on your cals... don't worry about the carbs you will deffinatly work them off... most guys in fact lose weight at boot camp, and buff up. anyway take care... hope you enjoy the navy, we like it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 21:54

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was in the Navy for 7 years.

In boot camp, you'll have a lot of carbs available, but you should be able to get eggs and meat at breakfast, and meat at every other meal. Unfortunately, you won't be able to avoid it.

On the other hand, you will probably still lose weight.

Imagine working out constantly. I ran about 5 miles a day, did HUNDREDS of situps and pushups every day, and was constantly on the go.

By the time I left bootcamp, I hadn't lost a pound. But I did lose a few inches, and could do 87 full pushups, and I'm a girl.

Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:37
Registered Member

Stats: 235/213/150
BF:
Progress: 26%

My mom sent me cookies in boot camp all the time. My CC's never had a problem with it, as long as they inspected them first to make sure they weren't laced with any illegal substances

Edit to add: I mentioned this not because of cookies, but because care packages might possible.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:46

BF:

well perhaps they changed things since then... my husband just got out of boot camp in february, and my friends hubby got out in march... they don't allow any food packages sent to the navy boot camp anymore. especially sugar now. but like i said i know people used to do it all the time, but we were told under no circumstances were we to send food, or packages for that matter, although some people allow them to get packages just not food. but that is just as long ago as february and march. and again as i said i had friends who could send food before but not anymore.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 01:45
Registered Member

Stats: 227/189/168
BF:
Progress: 64%

It is so encouraging to read your story. The militery is my reason (well the biggest reason anyway) for my being on the Atkins plan now. I want to recieve my commission into the Airforce when I graduate college and to do so I have to loose this weight! It is fantastic to read about someone who actually did it. Congrats and good luck!

Later,
Minerva