Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 10:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/122/107
BF:?/24%/20%
Progress: 73%
Default Has anyone tried soy flour?

I was trying to find a flour that wasn't too high in carbs. I have found that soy flour has 1/3 of the carbs that white flour does I believe 30+ as opposed to the 90+ in reg. I guess what I was wondering is How does it taste?
I love to make "elephant ears" or [funnel cakes] I know that it is somewhat high in carbs, but the main amount comes from the flour (1 cup). I can get it down to about 20 carbs or less for 1 serving if the soy flour works. Of course this would be a very special treat and not something to eat all the time.

If the soy flour is not too bad, then I can start to enjoy some of my favs again and bake some more.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Dani
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 16:12

Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Dani,

I think soy flour has an awful taste to it, but that's just my opinion. Usually when I have a recipe that calls for a large amount of traditional white flour, I will try to do a combo of a few different LC flours until I get a good flavor. Sometimes this takes a few trys!

Consider soy powder (rather than soy flour) aka soy isolate powder, oat flour, almond flour (yummy and very appropriate if for a dessert), vanilla whey protein powder. Most can be found in health food stores and/or the natural type grocery stores. I have never been able to find almond flour in a local store in my city, and I order it thru Bobs Red Mill or King Arthur's flours. I'm sure many of the LC cookbooks out there have awesome recipes for the type of cake you are describing. Also do a search on some of the LC websites that have recipes.

Good luck!

Jill in Phoenix, AZ
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 16:49

Stats: 162/122/107
BF:?/24%/20%
Progress: 73%

Jill,
Thanks so much for your advice and comments. I am usually very pick about taste and the flour is a big part of the flavor of this dessert. I will definitely have to try some of the different options you mentioned.
Thanks again

Dani
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 00:49

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have used soy flour in cookies, fried chicken breading and pancakes. It is not the best tading stuff for pancakes ( it doesn't seem to cook all the way through ). But, it is good for cookies and fried chicken. But I think I will start using those other things suggested.

Black57
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 16:17

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

It was recommended to me to lightly toast the soy flour before using it, apparently that gets rid of some of the heavy "soy" flavour and gives it a lighter, nuttier taste ....

Fiona
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 16:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I find that soy flour has a definite "soy" taste. Not easy to substitute for wheat flour. But then I thought, why not use it for stronger flavored foods. I used it to dredge catfish filets in for frying. It was very good.

Nanci
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 01:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176.4/159/130
BF:41%/36.4%/?
Progress: 38%
Default muffin/soy flour disaster - experience with atkins bake mix

hi, tried to make soy flour zucchini muffins; this was a disaster.
if you have a suggestion for using soy flour for muffins, please let me know. (breakfast is my most difficult meal; i hate eggs.)

i've got some atkins bake mix now after a trip to the states. whats everyones experience using it for things like muffins, quiche crust etc?

nix
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 01:40

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

nix, Try searching on "flax seed" muffins. There are a lot of recipes for them on this board and they are really good! Flax seed (ground up) has a sweet nutty flavour. There are also the zucchini nut muffins which you can find by searching, too