Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 08:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 126.5/116/108
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default A new light on WOE

I want to add my experience to all the other wonderful posts in here, I'm gaining more insight everyday. I started on the lc WOL last month, and it has brought so much to light for me. I initially started this diet to perfect my body, to decrease my bodyfat to where I can feel great about myself. Since I've started, I've learned just how much carbohydrates were effecting my life and health!
I am an alcoholic in recovery 4 years, treating bipolar and panic disorder, and a recovered anorexic. I hadnt realized how close the addictions are... in my sobriety I had switched from alcohol, to sweets and sugar. And because of my focus on health and fitness I hid most of my sugar cravings in cereals, rice cakes, breads, dairy, wheat and crackers.
I do struggle with the obsessive microanalyzing I've read about here, sometimes I catch myself trying to do it perfect, no matter what the cost on my serenity and freedom. Its so true though, this is a WAY of life, not just a means to lose pounds and inches. I try to remember this isnt about beating myself up or punishing myself, even though I do feel ashamed about my carb addiction, because I focus so much on fitness.
The key here I think is loving ourselves, treating ourselves with nurturance and respect...and above all be gentle with ourselves.
For myself I've found a new freedom and joy in life through my sobriety, and this is just another way to even more freedom and joy, now that I've discovered this not so hidden addiction!!
It truly amazes me how everything is related.. alcohol, sugar, depression, fatigue, eating disorders, stomach disorders...this is another opportunity to learn how to take care of myself, without needing an escape.
Thanks for listening, and happiness to you all!
Dawn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 13:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Well said Dawn

Self love and respect is a powerful tool, and we shouldn't wait till we reach goal to use those powerful tools. And yes, many of us how are addicted to one thing, tend to be addicted to other things as well. Now I'm addicted to lifting weights, but it's a lot better than sugar, alcohol and/or pizza

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 11:09

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with dawn on this one.

Quote:
Now I'm addicted to lifting weights, but it's a lot better than sugar, alcohol and/or pizza

Kinda agree there. Mind you, it'll still take a bit of convincing to turn me into a gym freak yet, because I can't help thinking that not everything you might do that brings on an adrenalin or endorphin rush is necessarily that healthy ....