Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-05, 10:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%
Default Finding happiness

Hi all. I have been so depressed lately. I shouldn't be, but I am. It took some time for me to figure out why. I even went to the doctor to talk about it since it is just not like me to ever feel depressed for this long over nothing. He ran every blood test that you could ever think of, all of them came back wonderful. I told him that I was concerned because I have gained weight over the last year, and needed to stop. After all of the blood work, (he thought that I might be menaposal, but I am not) he said that I am blessed with perfect health, except for one thing. I need to loose those last 20 pounds. He said that 20 pounds would be good for my body frame, but if I wanted to be the perfect health specimen, I needed to loose 35. Well, I am shooting for the 20 first, then we will see where it goes from there. I would love to be perfect, but it is not necessary. Anyway, to make a long story short, I figured out that the reason that I was so depressed was I kept comparing all of the material things I had to everyone around me. They had a better looking house, a newer car, a better yard, a better lifestyle, more money, more free time, better hair, etc.... Then, one day, (the 23rd of Dec.) I started thinking...what the heck am I doing??? I started looking at the things I DO have. I have a great life. I have to start being happy with what I do have. My family has been through a lot, and I mean a lot of emotional crap in the past. We have pulled through finiacial hardships, emotional problems, health problems, and we are stronger for it. I have absolutely no reason to not be happy. I am looking forward to spring so I can plant flowers outside, paint our fence, put shutters on the house. Clean up the lawn more, we can do so much with our new home to make it ours, that I am now excited about it instead of looking at how much work it is going to be. I am really happy. Those 20 pounds will be a snap. I have to remember to "Eat to Live, not Live to Eat". Thanks for letting me vent. I needed it!! 2006, here I come!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-05, 15:48

Stats: 231/179/165 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

hey, I like the new attitude so much better than the old. I also have exactly 23 pounds that I want to lose. I am so blessed to be married (November 5th) to the love of my life who accepts me as I am, but I want to look like I want myself to look. DId you know that the Discovery Channel is hosting a 2006 Health challenge? They are giving away free 8 week Bally passes in select cities. You should check it out...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-05, 17:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Heh... your post made me smile, because y'know what I'm struggling with right now? Last night, I was shot down in my plan to try to get us out of this apartment and into a house. Sometimes I think we'll die of old age in this place. I'd probably love your house and yard!

OTOH, what keeps me grounded in gratitude is thinking of my friends who have so much less than me. The ones who have more, seem to lack the time to appreciate it. I guess the key isn't to get what you want but to want what you have.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-05, 20:27

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shewolf8
2006, here I come!!

Amen!! Instead of my normally petty resolutions this year, I'm writing a list of all the things I want to accomplish physically, emotionally, spiritually, and intelectually!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 19:16

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I already have had the emotional adjustment. I believe that you choose your attitude. If you wake up saying that you are going to have a crappy day, you probably will. If you wake up looking forward to a new day believing that it will be a good one, it will be!!