Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 16:32
I'm Back!

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 314/280/145 Female 5'3"
BF:Too Much!
Progress: 20%
Default Any other Binge eaters out there?

I feel all alone on this one. I do so well for so long and then whammo! Is there anyone else out there with this??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 17:25

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

used to be... but haven't been since LCing i've feared a relapse, but so far, so good. certainly been there, done that, though.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 19:05

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maries1964
I feel all alone on this one. I do so well for so long and then whammo! Is there anyone else out there with this??

What exactly do you binge on?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 07:05
I'm Back!

I haven't binged since Lcing like jemman, but I wanted to start a support thread because of my fear of relapse. I use to just binge on everything and anything I had in my house. I would eat until my stomach hurt and I was so uncomfortable. Then I would feel so guilty afterward. But as I was eating I was happy and enjoying it. Sometimes I was even unaware of myself binging until I felt uncomfortable. I never purged, but I found myself thinking of it, but never did. I never want to do that again. But the fear is always there.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 13:25

i still struggle with this sorta & im trying to break the habits that cause the to want to binge. ie- snacking too much- figured i might be the type to eat 3 bigger meals instead of 6 smaller ones like i have been doing. im taking small steps. and i think (hope) its working. even tho i havent eaten myself sick since LCing, there have been times i've eaten 4-5 LC snacks in a row, which is the same behavior whether you're eating cake or celery. so, im workin on it... and here if u wanna talk ((hugs))
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 14:53
I'm Back!

I think I will always struggle with it. Like you said it is a behavior. Same here if you ever want to talk, always in here somewhere.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 16:30
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

*raises hand*

Terrible binge eater. And I'm terrified of relapsing, too. When I binge I'll eat everything, even things I don't really like, and I'll eat as fast as I can, standing in the kitchen. If I ever saw a film of me binge eating I'm sure I would die of embarrasment. It must look terrible. I am totally out of control when I and I hate the feeling -- AFTER the binge. Sometimes I feel a little sad during the binge, but often I'm just so totally focused on eating and feel sort of elated. But after, after is so awful.

I haven't binged in 43 days, since I started this program. But honestly, I am very afraid of slipping back into that behavior. A couple times I have felt the urge to binge -- and once I ran from the kitchen, stripped off my clothes, and got into the shower to avoid starting a binge.

I think, like you, it is something I'll have to be aware of my whole life. And I think I will always have to be on guard for that behavior.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 16:37

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have not binged since LC. It must be a reaction to Blood Sugar because I would binge around 3 in the afternoon after having not eaten all day, then I would have to make supper and pretend to eat while feeling green with discomfort.
If I felt sick enough, I would be OK for a week than it would start again.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 18:18

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Binge LC

I still do, but it's less, and less often. And I haven't "cheated" since I started this WOE, so when I do eat more than I need, it's LC food and it does less damage.

The longer I'm here, the more I understand the triggers and for me, they are primarily physiological. High fructose corn syrup is the devil incarnate, and some artificial sweeteners are not far behind. If I can stop and think what might be going on, I can modify it some.

But when I was newer, I just had to make a committment to the WOE and stick to LC regardless of what happened with my weight. As my head as become reliably clear and the shape of my days and nights has changed because I don't have the sugar fog, I am able to make headway against the need to overeat.

I didn't get fat overnight and another month at any given weight isn't going to change much in the long run.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 00:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins maintenance
Stats: 147/137/ Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress:
Default binge

you know what i realized the other day about my eating:

i binge when i don't want the burden of making food choices all day. so, for example, if i end up binging in the morning or afternoon, i think i'm really trying to take away choices i feel threatened by during the rest of the day.

being stuffed is a way to avoid these choices b/c you feel so full. it's like taking something stressful off the to-do list. especially if i'm keeping track of my calories/carbs on fitday. if i'm out of either, i know there's no point in thinking about food b/c i don't have any room for it, according to my daily limits.

wierd, eh?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 04:30

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Unhappy salted peanuts are my weakness

I have no control over salted peanuts. If I start eating them half the jar is gone before I can convience myself to stop. So I've pretty much quit eating them. I had half a jar on Saturday night, it was the bottom half, so I threw the jar away Sunday morning and won't be buying them anymore. I just can NOT eat them in moderation.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 06:44
I'm Back!

I can identify with at least one comment of each and every one of you! Cheesypoof is the winner though, my god you described me to a "t"! Don't take this the wrong way I am sorry you have this disorder, but I am so happy I am not alone. I am so happy I started this thread and I hope to keep you all here and we get many more. I look at it this way, instead of "overeaters anonymous" I should of named this "binge eaters helping binge eaters". There is no need to be alone, exspecially on this one, I believe that insight,foresight and most of all understanding friends you can turn to can stop the binge cycle. Hope you are all with me!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 12:23

i agree that its something we're going to have to be concious of for the rest of our lives, but i think we can find ways to make it less of a focus, worry, etc. the 1st step for me was admitting it. i always associated binging with bulimia and would have never admitted i was a binger because i wasnt bulimic. however, i've finally admitted to myself that binging is, in fact, an eating disorder in itself. it doesnt have to be followed by purging to be classified as such. because i've come to terms with this, its making it easier to deal with. and i'm doing ok. just being aware that you do have tendancies to binge helps so much. for me, its not a specific food that triggers a binge, its a feeling... boredum and frustration are probably the worst... followed by annoyance and anxiety. this has been step 2 for me- identifying the feelings (or in some peoples cases food). and now i have to deal with them. or find other ways to deal with them... rather than eating. its not as simple as someone who is triggered by food... just not buying it anymore. i cant choose not to be bored or frustrated or annoyed or anxious anymore. it just happens. so, this is where i am right now. trying to find ways to deal with these feelings in other ways. because right now, its just like an instinctual reaction to eat. i dont think. i act. and i have to start thinking.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 13:45
I'm Back!

Same here, it is not about the food, sometimes I swear I wouldn't even taste it! I usually would have a breakdown for the two main reasons of boredom and anger. And then it only gets worse with the guilt not to mention the upset overfull stomach. I never confessed to being a binge eater either. I just thought no one would ever understand what I was feeling so I started to research the internet and look for what I was going thru. Well I found the description and I finally felt like I belonged somewhere in a classification. I wasn't just going crazy. So I guess you can say I am on step two myself.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 08:35
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

I'm not sure if I was a binge eater but I was an emotional eater, and that would cause me to binge. Yes, even to the point of extreme discomfort.

I still have issues though I haven't had an "episode" since I started low carb, but I do have to constantly think about WHY I want to eat if I find myself wanting to eat outside of the times I've set for myself (every 4 hours).

It's crazy the way I used to misuse food, even "healthy" food (I mean a small steak wouldn't be bad but when you cram almost 2 lbs of meat into your stomach something is wrong).

Yes, I do worry about falling back into old habits. I still haven't found any new, good habits to replace them with. I need to do that desparately before the inevitable time comes when some overwhelming emotion makes me want to go out and get that huge bag of chips and eat it all. I know it's better to have some sort of fall back "plan" in place for when that time does happen. I like the "hop in the shower" thing but that won't always work. The worst times are going to be the urge to eat when I'm bored, since if I'm bored there aren't a lot of choices of what to do, because if there was something I wanted to do I would be doing it and not be bored!

But I can always come here and yell HELP I guess Even at work (where I right now -shhh don't tell!)

Debbie