Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 23:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/145/126 Female 5ft 4.5inches
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Newbie

Hi
I'm relatively new to the concept of low carb but already a believer
Looking forward to lots of great information & friendly support
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-11, 12:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Welcome to the forum, Stef. I suggest that you pick a specific LC plan to follow, then read the book for that plan (you'll have to look on the Primal Blueprint site for that diet's description). Otherwise, you'll be reading and getting contradictory suggestions and won't know which ones to pay attention to.

There's also two good posts in the Newbies' Questions section that will save from making a lot of newcomer mistakes. One bit of information that's not there (yet) is the importance (IMO) of setting a target body fat % rather than a target weight. The BF% statistic should determine your goal weight, not the other way around. Here's a web page that explains more about why you should set your BF% target first. You can start with this page; be sure to look at the age-adjusted chart for your gender.

Next, calculate your current percentage of body fat. The best tests (dunk tank and BodPod) are very accurate (within 1%) and very expensive. Calipers are next best (within 1-2%) but cost about $15 and require practice (and some personal guidance) to use skillfully. All other methods are accurate to within 3-5%. If you have a tape measure, you can use this online body fat % calculator.

Then, calculate your ideal body weight.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-11, 13:28

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Hi Stef, welcome to the forum.

What made you decide to go low-carb? And which books are your currently, or plan on reading?

Before reading any books on how to eat, I would suggest reading about why you shouldn't eat certain foods like grains and legumes (as well as dairy for those who are able to give up heavy cream and cheese... I'm weak, LOL).

To get started, I would read the the first few chapters of the Protein Power Lifeplan first. I say this because you can read about why too much insulin is bad, the inaccuracies of measuring LDL cholesterol, and why grains are bad (chapter called "the Leaky Gut"). The first half of the book does a reeally good job at giving you the layout of the land.

After I read the chapters on insulin and "the Leaky Gut," my motivation for why I was doing low-carb shifted. Now, I wasn't doing low-carb because grains and starches were making me fat. It's because they were making me sick. They raise triglycerides, Very LDL particles, and cause inflammation. This is a recipe for heart disease. These foods raise insulin levels and screw up my metabolism... tissues are damaged in the process and the more carbs you eat over time, the harder it can be to lose weight.

These foods are not just making us fat. They are destroying our bodies one day at a time.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 17:32

BF:

Hi, thanks for all the great suggestions, they've kept me busy all morning. AJ I've worked out my body fat and Brinethery I've done lots of reading

I've decided to go with Atkins.... starting the induction phase today

However I have been grain free for a few months and keeping to a relatively low carb count for the past month, so hopefully it won't come as too much of a shock.

Thanks again very much appreciated.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 17:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Sounds like you've made a great start, Stef!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 18:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Welcome!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 22:34

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 129/129/112 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Stef

Welcome to the forum. I wish you much success on your LC journey. You'll find plenty of helpful, friendly folks around here. Have a fantastic 2012. See you around the forum.

JoAnn
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 11:05
Dr. Atkins was Right

Plan: Atkins (Breastfeeding)
Stats: 221/188.6/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Welcome, Stef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stef*

I've decided to go with Atkins.... starting the induction phase today

However I have been grain free for a few months and keeping to a relatively low carb count for the past month, so hopefully it won't come as too much of a shock.

I suspect that Induction won't come as much of a shock, and also might not give you the major losses that some people report. This is because you've already started an informal semi-Induction on your own.

I kicked sugar and non-processed grains before I started Atkins; lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks. Took up Atkins a month or so later after the weight loss slowed down; it never sped back up to that level, but I did keep losing. I imagine you will do the same.

Best wishes to you, and Happy 2012!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 20:33

BF:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, already finding this forum extremely useful and supportive

Jen, your initial weight loss sounds fantastic..... I thought that my recent dietary changes would mean that I wouldn't see a massive drop during induction.... Maybe 5-6 llbs in the 1st 2 weeks... Would be nice
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 21:44

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stef*
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, already finding this forum extremely useful and supportive

Jen, your initial weight loss sounds fantastic..... I thought that my recent dietary changes would mean that I wouldn't see a massive drop during induction.... Maybe 5-6 llbs in the 1st 2 weeks... Would be nice

Wow, minus 20 pounds! A great way to bring in the New Year if I might say so myself :-)

Stick with it, you're doing great.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 23:27

BF:

All thanks to no longer eating grains. Go low carb lifestyle
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 09:31

Plan: 0
Stats: 168/168/147 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Hiya

Welcome! I too am starting Atkins Induction today. Hope to see u around the forum
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 11:52

Plan: Keto/Low Carb
Stats: 309.4/301.6/249.4 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 13%

Welcome *Stef*! This is a great place for support, I'm sure you'll love it here! Good luck on your LC journey