Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: William Kaufman (1965)
Stats: 200/193/126
BF:
Progress:
Default WISH I HAD TIME TO READ

Hi all,

This is great to find an Aussie/NZ forum. I live in Victoria. I only lost 500g this week (weigh in every Friday morning).

I heard about Atkins a couple of weeks ago, but living in the country, it was a while before I could get the book, which I now have.

In the meantime, I searched my kitchen cupboard and found an old low-carb diet book put out by William Kaufman in 1965! I've been working on that principle for two weeks - 60g carb a day, and have lost 1.5kg.

Imagine how I'll do when I get on Atkins! I'm slowly wading through the book, the trouble is I don't get much time to read. However, until then I'll stick to low carbing.

The day after I got my Atkins book, I went up the street and bought a book in the Op-Shop for 40 cents - The Complete Book of Food Counts by Corinne T. Netzer and it has been so helpful.

Look forward to chatting now and then.

Alaine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 01:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile Thats Great!

Good to hear!

I wonder if you can get a modern print of this WK book? Geese he predates Atkins publication!

If you have no time to read, you were probably like I was for the last year, no time for myself!

I feel one has to make lifestyle 'changes' to be able to give more time to oneself.

That is the only way I was able to start Atkins! I had to move house, get rid of extra flat mate, quit some of the extra curriculum activities I was doing, so that I could have time to read and focus internally on my probs. It's been great!

Good luck to you, and I hope to chat with you in the future!

LC_Dave
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 01:13

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Found a Kaufman Referenece

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/books-oop.html

Check out that link, it has a lot of low carb books that might be out of print. it even has Kaufman's ISBN number!

New Low Carbohydrate Diet
by William Kaufman
ISBN: 0515093963

LC_Dave
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 06:51
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Dave,

I'm glad to have had Kaufman's little book of 1965 start me off on low-carbing but I'm not interested, really, in chasing up anything new of his since I have Atkins' book now and, once read, I will decide whether or not to follow his principle.

Regards,
Alaine
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 07:08
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I picked up Kaufman's 1965 carbohydrate counter a week ago ina thrift shop. It's full of out dated foods tht were fashionable in the 60s. Quite hilarious. And lots of tinned stuff
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 08:07
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Cali,

I don't care what you think about the plan I'm following. I am quite satisfied with Kaufman's plan of 60g carb a day, I am losing weight, I'm not using canned foods (except for sardines) and when I finish reading Atkins' book, I'll decide whether or not to go ahead with the Atkins regime.

I am offended by your ridicule and I'm sure Kaufman would be also, if he's still alive. I've enjoyed getting familiar with this forum over the past few days but I very nearly reported you.

I wish you luck with your weight loss.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 00:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/My Own
Stats: 97/83/68
BF:
Progress: 48%

Alaine,

I don't think Cali to meant to hurt your feelings. I think she just meant that it was interesting to look through a book that was written so long ago and see what foods were 'in fashion' back then.

I had a similar giggle when I found an old book from the 50s on how to do your housework - things have changed a lot now that we have our gadgets and things!

Rebecca
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 01:14
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Alaine, I have to agree with Rebecca in her support of Cali.
I am sure she did not mean you or Mr Kaufmann any ill will.
This forum is full of supportive, helpful people, and I have seen Cali to be one of the most helpful.
That doesn't mean I in any way bear you any ill will! In fact, I hope you continue to lose weight and enjoy this great forum.
All the best to you, Alaine.

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 05:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Cool, let's move on. I like this forum too, bear no illwill and want to share and learn with everyone. Onward and upward, never backward!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 08:04
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default My sincerest apologies

Dear Alaine,

I had no intention of making fun of the esteemed Mr Kaufmann. He was a trail blazer indeed, and to think that that upstart Atkins takes all the credit!

Actually, although the paperback that I possess was also published in 1965, it doesn't mention Kaufmann's name anywhere. It is most certainly American from the types of foods within (succotash, broiled haunch of beaver, hominy grits etc).
Perhaps it is a plagiarised version, tailored to suit our stars and tripes cousins.

It was published by Dell and reprinted,I might add, no less than 19 times which took it to 1973, when it cost a mere 95 cents. It cost me 20. Not such a bad mark down!

Looking at your profile, I see you list 'candle-wicking' among your interests. Pray tell, what is that?

Fly fishing too, an art indeed. Did you watch that lovely series on the ABC called"On a River Somewhere" made by those chappies from The Panel.

I am not a keen fisher woman myself but fly fishing seems to achieve a sort of parity between man and fish. An intricate and beautiful occupation.

Yes, as Hagar the Horrible once said: "Onward, onward, I will not stop, until I reach the very top, through storm and hail I will advance, through wind and rain and avalanche, tho' lesser folks fall by the wayside, I alone endure the ride"

Alone Alaine, yet united in our quest for a lower weight.

May you succeed.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 19:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hello Cali,

The little booklet I have is approx 6" x 3" and had a daily gram counter wheel thingy attached to the front of it, which was lost years ago. It was published by Southdown Press in Melbourne (a New Idea publication). "Based on the famous Airforce Diet that's sweeping America!"

I went in to your profile too and notice that you were born in 1964 - my daughter is only 4 months older than you.

Back then there wasn't a great deal of books at our disposal to help us with our weight. My son was born in 1965 so I obviously bought the book to help me get my figure back. There's a section in the back "Keeping Score" and my start weight in the first week was 122lbs! and I thought I was fat then!

I don't know how to do an attachment here, so I'll just quote a little. "Origin of the Low Carbohydrate Diet"
"Much has been written recently about the origination of the theory of low carbohydrate diet, some sources attributing its beginnings to the United States Air Force Academy, other sources presenting the theory as a new nutritional discovery. But to set the record straight, it might be wise to say that the Eskimos, ever since the Stone Age, have lived on the low carbohydrate diet we now follow when we count out our 60 grams per day. During the centuries past many trained observers have remarked on the efficiency of this kind of selective eating and in the mid-eighteen hundreds a book was published in England by William Banting proclaiming the success of his system of weight loss achieved through a purposeful selection of low carbohydrate foods.

"So it is easy to see, Fellow Dieter, that there is really very little that is modern about the theory of low carbohydrate diet. What is new is THE THEORY OF WEIGHT CONTROL THROUGH THE INTAKE OF ONLY 60 GRAMS OF LOW CARBOHYDRATE FOOD PER DAY. What is new is that this theory fits perfectly into our social, business and family life of today." unquote

The other headings are "Why it is a Dieter's Dream", "Why Low Carbohydrate Foods are So Satisfying", "Why It Works", "Live Modern, Count Grams!", "Let your Doctor Tell You", and "Eat, Drink, Be Merry and Live It Up".

I'm still wading through Atkins but I'm not in a hurry, as we're still losing.

I don't fish either; my role is to look after the clients' good needs. I might take it up one day but at the moment I have a very old Pug to look after. Yes, "A River Somewhere" was a lovely series, I hope they do another one; it sent a lot of business our way.

Candlewicking is an old embroidery craft, which originated with the covered wagons crossing America. The wives, thinking of their new homes at the end of the journey and how they would decorate, used off-cuts of the fabric the wagons were made of and candlewick thread. They drew a design on the fabric and embroidered around it using mainly three basic stitches - stem stitch, colonial knots (or french) and feather stitch.

Today we use calico and a light source to transfer the pattern on. I also do redwork and bluework on bleached calico, which is the same thing but in colour. I have made some beautiful cushions and pillow shams. You may have seen some of this work, at high prices, in antique stores.

I'd better close or Telstra will cut me off (automatic after 20 minutes). It's damned annoying.

Best of luck with Ultralite - I haven't looked in to that one yet.

Alaine
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:36
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hello again, Alaine.
Just out of interest, did you know that there is a copy of Banting's pamphlet on this site?
Just go to "Low Carb Books" on the orange bar at the top of every page and Banting's "Letter on Corpulence" is there.
Wonderful title isn't it?
I've only read a little so far but have bookmarked it to read the rest one day. His prose is wonderfully flowery as was the style then.
If you don't have time to wade through him, there's a great review of his pamphlet written by Andy Davies on "Low Carb Plans."
I think to find Low Carb Plans you first hit "Atkins Diet and Low carb Weight-Loss Support" and then "Low Carb Plans" is on the left. (All on the orange bar.)
All the best,

Rosebud
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 04:06
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for that Rosebud, I'll go check that out soon. I'd better get off the net now as the sky is lighting up. My daughter rang about an hour ago (she lives about 75 minutes away) and said that they just had one heck of a storm with very high winds and I think it will hit us soon.

Thanks again,
Bye now,
Alaine
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 17:32
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I went in and read the 14 page Preface of Banting's brochure - fascinating stuff and nothing much has changed in over 130 years. He suffered the ridicule and bad press that Atkins now gets. I'll read further another day.

Our doctor is extremely happy with my husband's weight loss and when I said "Did you tell him that we're low-carbing?", he said he did and the doctor said "good, if your BP is still this low in six months, we'll cut your script in half." He also had a cholesterol test the other day - the result will be interesting.