Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-14, 03:03

Plan: lchf + if
Stats: 230/169/130 Female 5' 5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default obsessed with low-carb !

Hello all you wonderful forum people. I'm glad you are here. Today is the beginning of my seventh week low-carbing. I'm happy to say I've already lost 10 kgs - 22 pounds, and am feeling loads better. I would like to lose about 100 pounds - or any amount that would allow me to fit into a beautiful dress with a lovely waist. I have been hefty for a couple decades, but was a skinny ballerina in my twenties. At my skinniest - I weighed 115 pounds (age 17) -- at my heaviest - after undergoing treatment for breast cancer, I weighed 230 pounds (age 52). I would love to eventually get down to somewhere between 120 and 135, and have given myself until my birthday in September 2015. I am also eager to put myself into the most wonderful physical shape possible for my age, and try to get back out into the world, rejoin the worldwide market of classical singers (I had a small singing career going- I put everything on hold while fighting cancer). I don't know how much time is left to me, but I would like to make the best of it, and feel the best, and enjoy being me ... instead of ... well you know ...

P.S. I'm 52, American, moved to France in 2009 to marry my beloved French husband.

Last edited by pivoine : Mon, Jul-21-14 at 03:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-14, 03:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome
You have found a wonderful LC forum, look all around the various topics to find the information or support you need. You have done very well in only seven weeks! Are you on Tamoxifen or any other hormonal med? I was when I started LC and lost weight anyway. Though I blamed much of the weight gain on the drug, it was likely more the grain heavy vegetarian diet I was following. I am now convinced that LC under 50g total, no sugar, no grain, is the best diet for me for protection from a cancer recurrence. Every day of good health is a gift, enjoy each one!
Wishing you all the best,
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-14, 05:00

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 288/256/200 Female 176cm
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hello Pivoine,

Good job on the loss!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-14, 05:54

BF:

Hello Skimo, Hello Janet ! thanks so much for responding. Yes I'm on Tamoxifène - I started it the same day I started cutting out all carbs. I'm also convinced low-carb is the way to go. Not only am I on Tamoxifène, but I have polycystic ovary syndrome, am over 50, and female ! For so long I believed that with PCOS it was my immutable fate to gain weight and not be able to lose it. Therefore, I am thrilled with the results so far. I hope you are right that it can ward against a cancer recurrence, (so sorry to hear that you also must live with this worry).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-14, 06:08

Wow, you really have lost weight very well with all that going "against" you according to conventional wisdom.
Here is a brief overview of some of the history of LC/Ketogenic Diets and cancer, with links to more recent studies and the new SingleCause,SingleCure site. http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/cancer-diet.html
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-14, 03:40

BF:

Thanks for the link Janet. I read that the idea that cancer can be starved by cutting out sugar has been shown to be a myth. However, surely using a ketogenic diet for dealing with the problem of insulin resistance and reducing the estrogen and insulin-producing extra fat can only be a step in the right direction. Plus, feeling physically wonderful improves quality of life !
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 09:32
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Welcome to the boards, pivione! We're all here to help and support you and each other!

Wishing you heartfelt success on your LC WOE journey! It changed my life!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 08:22

BF:

Thanks Just Jo ! Can you tell me please, what does WOE stand for ? Weight Ongoing Entropy ? Winter Owl Etiquette ?

Good grief you've lost more than half your body weight ! I will be definitely interesting in reading everything you write/have written !
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 08:25

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 288/256/200 Female 176cm
BF:
Progress: 36%

Way of Eating I think
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 08:35

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Bonjour, Pivoine.

Way of Eating, yes.

Sounds like you'll be doing great with the LC WOE! I find that being "obsessed" with education about LCE (low-carb eating) is not only natural, but necessary. I've been working on it for a long time. There's always more to learn, and it isn't a linear process.

Bonne chance.
(And that's all the French I can deliver after many years of school studies. Helas!)
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 08:42

LC "Way of Eating" versus an Atkins "Diet". Not something you go on and off of, but food choices that support good health for life.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 02:25
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Bonjour pivoine. C'est un plaisir de rencontrer une autre personne française ici. Mon écriture en français n'est pas très bon. Ma mère était française et je suis moitié française, mon père est un Américain et je suis aussi! Je suis né en dehors de Paris, à une base de l'armée de l'air américaine.

Okay back to the business at hand. Yes I've lost more than 1/2 of my body weight doing this wondrous life-changing WOE. It's the most amazing thing in the world and it works 100% if one follows it without cheating.

It really is a WOL (way of living) as well or a life style change. It is something I will have to continue the rest of my life since I do not plan to gain back any of the weight!

Which version of Atkins are you doing?

Last edited by Just Jo : Sat, Aug-02-14 at 02:30. Reason: Silly Fingers....ugh!!!!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 04:33

BF:

OH merci ! Bonjour vous tous ! Thank you for your responses, Barbara, Janet, JustJo and Skimo. Oy, "woe" as a way of life. Not such a great acronym, LOL. Anyhow, which kind of Atkins you ask - well --- still trying to stick to the "induction phase".

It's a huge change for us, because as you know, bread is sacred in France. You mark it with a cross on the back with a knife before eating it, and you can't put it on the wrong side for some reason (the devil will get in ? ) (we're not religious, but still not allowed to put the bread down the wrong way), and without bread, how are you going to mop up the delicious sauces and clean your plate, as is required for every self-respecting French citizen ? That's why I've implemented new household rules. It is henceforth considered impolite NOT to lick your plate. (Alternate solution, have the stew with it's delicious sauce in a bowl, and eat with a spoon).

Anyhow, we cut all the breads and flours, grains and sugars, most fruit, etc. out as suggested by Atkins (my husband, fabulous for him, is now frequently losing his pants) I've been counting carbs using fitday - and trying to keep them under 20 mg per day. Some days that's just impossible, because we love tomatoes. Its very easy to go over 20 mg just by having a few too many string beans or broccoli, or eggplant or too much artichoke. Also very hard to pass up the beautiful summer fruit. The peaches are to die for, so we share a peach now and then (in crème fraîche !) . Still trying to work that all out. Gradually I've been upping the fat. At first I'd forgotten about the fat element of the conversation.

Also gradually upping the exercise. It was very hard for me to get out at first, so tired residually from the chemo, now it's much better, except I wilt horribly in the heat. It's so so hard going up the hills - I feel like I'm carrying two 50 pound sacks, which of course I am. I'm totally heat intolerant, so I try to go out either in the morning or the evening. (I still can't get my husband to walk with me. He sorely needs it, but when he's ready I'm sure he'll start coming along.) But I can't say my weight has budged much since the initial dramatic and very rapid loss of the first month and a half.

In the beginning the weight was just falling off - very linear too, 200 mgs/half pound every single day - and now after the initial 11 kgs/23 lbs, the scale it's pretty stuck. Which is why I'm interested in the intermittent fasting idea. My tummy sticks out like I'm fifteen months pregnant, and I don't see any change in that since the beginning, but I know something is different inside where no one can see, because I can bend over now without being winded. I would dearly love to get down to 135 pounds (or even to 120 pounds which was my weight at 17) and to wear beautiful dresses again. Also I'm an opera singer (or was before my cancer) and would love to be able to put myself back out on the market again, so to speak, and audition and sing concerts, for which I need to look great...

P.S. I'm also counting calories, I know it's not recommended, it's just very hard not to count calories when one is using fitday to count carbs. I notice also it is rather difficult to eat more than 1200 calories or so without the carbs. Perhaps 1200 is too low. I'll keep trying different things. Whatever it take to get this bleeping plateau to budge.

Last edited by pivoine : Sat, Aug-02-14 at 11:05.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 06:02

Bread may be sacred, but my favorite line from Peter Mayle's book is: "that stomach we see threatening to burst the buttons on your shirt, well, that's nothing but a bonne brioche.” Husband and I use that as our code word when we see a particularly fine example of a wheat belly. I agree that even if you don't see it yet, giving up all wheat has helped you inside and your waist will continue to shrink. I blamed every fat deposit I didn't like on Tamoxifen.
It is quite normal to settle into losing about a pound a week after the first 2 months. Did you read "Why the Scales Lie" http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...627#post8883627

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Aug-02-14 at 06:11.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 06:05

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 0%

A wave and hello and best wishes.