Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: No specifics, low carb
Stats: 300/294/200 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Those of you on no specific plan

I know some are on Atkins or SB... but I was wondering, those of you who aren't on any plan, except watching carbs... How many carbs are you eating a day??? I just began LCing yesterday, Monday 11/6. TIA!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 12:27
You HAVE to WANT it!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 173.4/166.6/129 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 15%

I think there are people out there that don't really stick to one plan. I have found it easier in the passed to lose the weight if I do stick to one plan and not try to bounce all over the place
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 16:31

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 235/230/150 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I don't count carbs

I don't count carbs. I just cut out any blatant occurrences of sugar, grains, potatoes. When I say blatant I mean I allow myself things like ketchup, bbq sauce, meatloaf (has bread crumbs), etc.

I've only been on it for 4 weeks but I've lost 9 lbs. So far it's been a lot easier to stick to than counting carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 09:06

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

At first, I did Induction and found the entire thought of 'phases' and 'rungs' to be daunting. So instead, I added in what I wanted, when I wanted and continued on to lose 40 pounds. In the end, its all about what works for you. Don't worry about doing it to the T if it is stressing you out like it did to me, but if doing it to the T is what works best for your body and schedule, you should do it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 21:08

Plan: Zero Carbs
Stats: 172/146/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

I think the overall premise is what matters most. For me I have eliminated certain foods and keep an unofficially count in my head of what carbs I eat. I eat more fat then SB and didn't do the rung thing of Atkins.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 21:12

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I just cook and eat everything as low-carb as possible...some days I might only have 10 carbs...other days 40 or 50...I use Ketostix to let me know that I'm burning ketones and I cross my fingers and hope I continue to lose weight each week.

If I stop losing I guess I'll have to step up my game!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 20:56

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Stephanie,
Ive done every diet from A-Zone...no matter what any books says out there, its what works for you...and 10carbs a day is not enough...you do need carbs for energy or you will start getting sick if you dont eat any...ive said it thousands of times...eat what mother nature gave us...stay away from anything that comes out of a box or can...eat fresh...today our problems is all process food, bad fats and bad carbs...people werent fat 30yrs or so...cause they didnt have all that junk we eat today...family has lost the value of eating together or making proper meals...most of us all work our days and run home for the kids, homework, etc etc and we dont have time to cook anymore...so we end up buying our meals which ends up being full of bad fats and full of bad carbs...people got to stop finding excuses that they dont have time to cook or do things with the family...its hard but we got to make time...you have to make time for yourself too...if you want a diet to work, you have to be healthy or you diet wont work and it will bring other problems to your health... and i dont believe in the word diet...i rather say "a new way of eating" which is really what it is...you change the way you eat...its not a diet...then you need to enjoy doing exercises...you dont have to go to a gym, you can walk with the kids in the stroller or with the dog...all you have to do is 30mins a day or start with 15 and add bit by bit...

for what carbs you should be doing is what works for you...but dont stay on 10...its really not alot...eat the right fats like olive oils, eat a lot of fresh green veggies...like i said, ive read all the books you have to take some and leave some...and there will be only certain things in a book that works for you and the rest of that book doesnt...so you keep what works and keep reading dear...for me i believe there is one way to eat and if you read the GI book from Rick Gallop which is the one that started all of this and there is one version for canadians, one for americans and one for europe...(different foods)...go to your library and read it...its what your body will digest first that counts...its extremely healthy cause its all what your really suppose to eat...fresh, natural and all healthy...

sorry for the long post...just that if everyone would eat fresh we wouldnt be unhealthy like most people are out there...people have got to learn to take care of themselves more and stop dieting...diets dont work and never worked...yes it works to start but we are all human and will get fed up of eating like a book says...its not a piece of cake that will kill anyone...its how many you eat and like in anything, its the PORTIONS!!!! watch the portions..and get off our butts and move more...

just keep reading and do your research...

ciao ciao
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 23:15

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thanks, Lan...I agree with much of what you said...Did you read my whole post?? I think you misinterpreted it.

Cheers!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 17:12
Registered Member

Plan: homegrown
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 68
BF:
Progress:

I just wrote a long post on how my homegrown low-carb diet works here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...57&postcount=34
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-08, 23:20

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Again, great information jpatti....thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 08:17

Plan: Zero Low CArb
Stats: 170/147/137 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

The underlying philosophy is this kind of Paleolithic diet theory. It's what we ate during the 2 million years that we were hunter-gatherers on this planet. The fact that we were hunter-gatherers for 2 million years suggests it was an extraordinarily successful evolutionary adaptation. The question is: What did we eat during these 2 million [years] when we left the jungle, the trees, went down into savanna and started surviving on whatever we could hunt or gather? That's the philosophy. The answer is, probably considerable meat, very low glycemic index, hard-to-digest roots and starches, and fruits and berries that look nothing at all like the beautiful Fuji applies you can buy at your local market now. Some carbohydrates, but whatever it was, it wasn't refined. It wasn't sugar. It wasn't flour. It wasn't easy to digest. That's my going theory. If this theory's right, the diet we evolved to eat is probably the correct diet.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 17:43

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I'm sure Sherell....
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I try to keep myself under 30 carbs a day, for now.

I eat fruit but in small amounts (I stay away from high GI ones) and only once a day. That's my treat.

I try to choose the better carb. Like if the choice was between a protein bar (fake food) verses a few strawberries with whipped cream. I would chose the strawberries with whipped cream.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 00:11

Plan: atkinsish,gen.lc
Stats: 160/144/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default very enlightening

I am only two weeks old & doing so much research, but these posts made alot of sense to me.
First time I have tried lc, lost some years ago on low fat.
since starting LC I have lost 5pounds in two weeks. my plan so far is healthy fat, lc veggies, & protein
I see from reading so many posts it really is an individual thing, at first I thought I was going to
quit felt so week, couldn;t walk , let alone cycle, was hungry, now I enjoy my food,& am not hungry, & my energy is coming back,
It has only been two weeks, so hope I can stick to it, I love reading other peoples journals it is encouraging, also gives me ideas.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 03:47

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
and 10carbs a day is not enough...you do need carbs for energy or you will start getting sick if you dont eat any

Sorry...not true.