Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%
Unhappy Weight up! On plan nearly 2 weeks...

Well, after nearly 2 weeks, I've gained 5 lbs. I am not a happy camper. I have been following it to the letter--not even using any ham (afraid of the nitrates and salts). Anyway, decided to switch back to Atkins induction levels today--I haven't been up to 158 in nearly a year--it took me almost a year to take off the 5 lbs and now I'm back up there--so frustrated!
Carol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: BFL
Stats: 120/125/ Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Carol,

Well, part of the healing process for some is that they will gain weight before they lose while the body heals itself. Dr. S. does acknowledge that. Its part of the procees in order for some to heal the damage that's been done.

I hope you can stick with it. It will be well worth it in the end.

Stephanie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 18:22
Registered Member

Thanks Stephanie. I just can't bear to stay with this knowing I've gained 5 lbs already. You just have to understand that I had started Atkins 4 years ago at 155 lbs. Then somehow I ended up at 165 (!)--I think that happened when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroidits. However, it took 3 years for me to lose and get to 155 lbs again (right back where I started)--and that was just recently. All this time I've been exercising, had totally given up all sugar, flour, diet soda, caffeine, processed meats (even before trying Schwarzbein). The only difference with Schwarzbein, is that I was adding in the carbs allowed. Maybe my body just can't tolerate the carbs (funny too, because I wasn't even eating the amounts that were on the plan). Anyway, I went back to Atkins induction level today just to see if I can drop at least a lb or two in the next few days. I really do like the Schwarzbein concept, but if I am going to continue to gain, I just can't see doing it. It is just way too difficult for me to drop weight no matter what I do.

Carol
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: Was Atkins, then BFL, now Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 144/111/112 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 103%

But Carol, when you add carbs you are also adding water to your body. I don't think you have gained fat. Each gram of carb fuel in your body attracts like 3-4x it's weight in water in the muscles. Remember Atkins is very diuretic for exactly this reason.

I know it's a shock to have gained two lbs. I went through this when I changed from Atkins to BFL nutrition and weight training which is more carbs than SP. I steadily gained about 5 lbs. during the first few weeks and then stayed put for another couple of weeks. After that I began losing lbs. and inches. Also remember that calories do count even though Atkins and SP are not calorie counting plans. When you get to that last 10lbs. or only have a small amount to lose it's important to consider them. It's the only thing that got my last 10 off. I ate around 1200-1300 cals/day. Now I am maintaining at around 1500-1700/day. But I am fairly petite (5'2"). If you are taller you can probably eat more.

Are you exercising? This is very important. Nutrition, weight bearing exercise, and cardio all work together for optimal results. I'm not saying to over exercise, but we do need to utilize the fuel we put into our bodies. It's sort of crazy having to devise all kinds of way to use our fuel (exercise) when just plain old life did the trick in our not too distant history. LOL!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:43
Registered Member

Thank you for the help! Actually I am now up a few more lbs...(hit 157-158!!) --AND I've even been on Atkins Induction all week....(apparently it isn't doing a whole lot of good). This morning I still was at 157.
I do exercise--use Total Gym, exercise ball, weights, speedwalk etc...
Also drink nearly 100 oz water daily. I watch calories too.
Here is a sample menu:
Breakfast:
Decaf w/1 Tbs cream stevia
2 poached eggs/ flaxseed oil and or 1tbs cream cheese

Lunch: Spinach (3/4 c.) tuna w/mayo

Dinner: Chicken or salmon - vegetable or salad.

What do you think?

Carol
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:04
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Carol:

I just looked at your profile and realized that you haven't read SPII. Can you borrow it (SPII, not SPI) from your library? I think it will really explain to you why you are having such a hard time losing weight, even on Atkins Induction. You may not like the solution and may even decide at this point that SP isn't for you. BUT it will explain why you are having such a hard time.

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:09
Registered Member

Wanda- you seem to know something I don't know! LOL! Could you give me a little hint? Right now I am in the middle of SP1 --I am in the height of wedding season (I do design and alterations of wedding gowns etc... make veils and all that)--a friend let me borrow SP--I probably won't make it to the library or for that matter even to the bookstore-- any hints on why you think Atkins isn't even working for me? Thanks a bunch--I've been doing this forever and can't figure out what the problem is.

Carol
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:03
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Carol - I second what Hammi told you !!!! I am afraid that if you go back on Atkins Induction you will see an immediate fluid loss and confuse that with actual weight loss - this could set you up for a lifetime fear of carbs -

Quote:
Maybe my body just can't tolerate the carbs (funny too, because I wasn't even eating the amounts that were on the plan).
This happened to me after doing Atkins and Low Carb type plans for years - not that I couldn't tolerate the carbs, but I confused the water gain with true gain. I see that you haven't lost again even with Atkins Induction, with the working out you are doing there is a good possibility you have gained some muscle which will show itself in lost inches and eventually a poundage loss. Even if you think it is to early for an actual gain in muscle tissue - remember that muscles retain water while rebuilding (the day after you break them down by exercising them) those aches and pains you feel the day after a workout are caused by inflamation in the muscles = retaining fluid in muscle tissue.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:11

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress:

I just joined this forum, and this is my first message! I sympathize completely--I have been on SP for 3 weeks and my weight hasn't changed at all. Exactly the same! I first tried Atkins last month, but after 3 days of an unshakeable migraine I gave it up. My daughter said to try SP--she lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks, but is heavier than I am. I plan to stay on this plan, but shouldn't I soon begin to lose at least a little weight?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:14
Registered Member

I'm just so frustrated with the lack of wt. loss with all of the effort --4 years--NO sugar etc....I never eat any desserts--no one can believe how I stay on plan--believe me--I do whatever it takes but for some reason-this just isn't dropping pounds like it is for everyone else--I know I have muscle--I'm not even sure what size I am anymore- haven't been out shopping! LOL
Anyway--my Tanita scale has me at 21%BF but who knows how accurate that thing is....Well thank you for any info you can give me--you're right--I'm terrified of carbs now!!

Carol
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:31
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Carol:

I can't do justice to the book and this could really put me in the "hot-seat", but here's a very simplified reason according to Dr. S. (not me ). Hormones are hugely complex so I haven't even scratched the surface.

It's about balancing cortisol, adrenaline and insulin, the 3 major hormones in the body. Cortisol and adrenaline are "using up" hormones whereas insulin is a "building" hormone. Insulin is a good hormone, contrary to much of what you hear. Too much isn't good for obvious reasons. It's about keeping an appropriate balance between the 3 major hormones. Not too high, not too low.

Low cortisol levels make it impossible for you to burn off fat weight. So do low adrenaline levels (burned out adrenals). But low adrenaline levels become low from chronic high adrenaline levels, which can be caused by a number of things that are stressful to the body. High thyroid levels is one of them. I mention this b/c you are on thyroid meds. Too few carbs is another (b/c decreasing low insulin means increasing adrenaline and cortisol).

If your adrenal glands are burned out, losing weight becomes very difficult. In fact, it's likely that you will gain weight on Dr. S.'s healing program. The adrenals can shut down while insulin tries to repair the damage. There are ways to avoid it as much as possible that she explains in the book (ie. cutting back on sat fat). But it's likely to happen before your metabolism heals and gears itself to burn fat.

The only way for you to determine if your adrenals are burned out is to have a cortisol saliva test done (Jinxy has some listed on this site). Fasting insulin tests should also be done, but you can get that one done at your doctor's office.

Clear as mud?

Wanda
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:05
Registered Member

Wanda -thank you for the info! That is really interesting....I find it a little confusing...hmmm, that means then, that if I have low Cortisol for example, then I should NOT be using fats?? Then I should be doing lowfat? I thought she said that lowfat was "dangerous"? Interestingly enough, I had my thyroid bloodwork done today and noticed that they also had checked off to have my Cortisol levels done too. So, next Tuesday afternoon, I should have the "verdict". In the meantime, I'm not sure what to do! LOL maybe I shouldn't eat for a week!
I guess I will just stay on induction for lack of anything better --or maybe go back to Gittleman's Fat Flush (although that leans toward's lowfat)....it's all too confusing!!
Thank you again for all of your help!

Carol
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:31
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Carol:

Nope, you're right, it's not a low fat plan. Check out the section in the sticky on "Saturated Fats" for a full explanation. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126771

This applies to her plan only. If you're doing Atkins, you need lots of saturated fat b/c it's your only energy source.

Let us know how your tests go. At some point, you will find it very interesting to read her 2nd book. It's a big "lightbulb" moment for many people, including myself. All along, I thought that insulin was my problem when in fact it was my adrenals.

Good luck!

Wanda

--edit--
BTW, those cortisol tests will only show true endocrine disorders, not lifestyle based disorders. If they come back negative, it would be worth your while to invest in the saliva tests given the severity of your problem. Don't expect your endocrinologist to be supportive of those saliva tests or the concept of burned out adrenals. You'll likely end up with a prescription for Prozac on your way out the door.

Last edited by wcollier : Tue, Aug-12-03 at 18:36.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:42
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Again Carol

Quote:
no one can believe how I stay on plan--believe me--I do whatever it takes but for some reason-this just isn't dropping pounds like it is for everyone else

I really sympathize with you - I very seldom "cheat" and even if I do it's usually such a small deviation that it's almost laughable to call it a "cheat". I've been on one plan or another since January and have only started to lose in the last 2 months!!! I was looking at your profile to try and see your age - but can't tell. Is it possible that your age has something to do with this difficulty? I never had a hard time losing before this - in fact the only reason I gained was that I had quit smoking AND turned 48. I did lose inches though - through exercise I lost 15 inches before I lost a single ounce!!

Sorry I can't get technical (I'll leave that to Wanda - she's SO good at it).
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 19:39
Registered Member

Hi Koko and Wanda-thank you both for the support--I really need it now. I looked at the info on the sat. fats--still a little confused. I guess I will just stick with Atkins induction levels for now. I know of one gal on the Atkinsfriends.com site who is down to 10-15 carbs/day in order to lose --I may even try that next--it just seems so drastic. I figure 15-20 is about right--however, it isn't working!
I do think age definitely has a lot to do with the problem, however, I've always had trouble trying to lose #'s--wt. has never dropped easily for me. I really think it may be partly due to some of the austere diets I did (practically no calories/day/ heavy exercise etc)--also, I carry my weight in my lower half. My waist is about 28" but my hips are about 41! (haven't checked this week) but that is what it was...

Well, hoping to figure this out really soon--4 years on Atkins/Fat Flush Protein Power etc... is a long time without reaching goal. (Basically the same weight I started at, although did lose some inches)

Carol