Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-17, 19:34
dcc0455 dcc0455 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 67
 
Plan: LC / IF
Stats: 224/155/155 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default First 24 hour fast

Technically it was about 23.5 hours. I put first in the title, not because I am committed to continue with 24 hour fasts, but I had been intermittent fasting on a 16/8 schedule and this was the first time I took it that far. I am still skeptical of a lot of the claims regarding fasting, but I do think it is a good tool. In this case, I had sort of binged on fat yesterday, and was not really hungry. Once I made it to lunch, I decided to keep going until dinner. Breaking the fast, I had my usual meat and salad meal, about 464 calories, 6g carbs with 70% fat. I only mention that because I was surprised that I did not feel the need to over eat to make up for the fast. I'll stick with the 16/8 protocol for now, but may do the 24 hour fast on occasion.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-17, 01:15
Ambulo's Avatar
Ambulo Ambulo is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 812
 
Plan: No GPS/OMAD (23:1)
Stats: 150/124/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Location: the North, England
Default

Well done!
Reply With Quote
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-17, 09:13
dcc0455 dcc0455 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 67
 
Plan: LC / IF
Stats: 224/155/155 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
Technically it was about 23.5 hours. I put first in the title, not because I am committed to continue with 24 hour fasts, but I had been intermittent fasting on a 16/8 schedule and this was the first time I took it that far. I am still skeptical of a lot of the claims regarding fasting, but I do think it is a good tool. In this case, I had sort of binged on fat yesterday, and was not really hungry. Once I made it to lunch, I decided to keep going until dinner. Breaking the fast, I had my usual meat and salad meal, about 464 calories, 6g carbs with 70% fat. I only mention that because I was surprised that I did not feel the need to over eat to make up for the fast. I'll stick with the 16/8 protocol for now, but may do the 24 hour fast on occasion.


I had planned on going back to 16/8 IF yesterday, but as I got close to my eating window, I realized I was not really hungry. I decided to skip lunch, thinking I could always grab a snack before dinner if needed. I wound up completing a second day of 24 hour fasting. Today, I am debating weather to go for a third day, or break the fast at 16 hours. To be honest, its not really about being hungry but the routine. Since retiring and spending more time at home, planning, preparing and eating the meals are more of an activity than just satisfying hunger. I'll probably go ahead and eat 2 meals today.
Reply With Quote
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-17, 09:40
Ambulo's Avatar
Ambulo Ambulo is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 812
 
Plan: No GPS/OMAD (23:1)
Stats: 150/124/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Location: the North, England
Default

I am soon coming up to my 4th anniversary of Fast-5 (19/5). To be honest 5 hours is too long a feeding window for me after all this time, but it is my psychological limit if life is conspiring to make my IF awkward. If I can please myself how the day pans out 22/2 is plenty.
Reply With Quote
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-17, 09:56
dcc0455 dcc0455 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 67
 
Plan: LC / IF
Stats: 224/155/155 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
I am soon coming up to my 4th anniversary of Fast-5 (19/5). To be honest 5 hours is too long a feeding window for me after all this time, but it is my psychological limit if life is conspiring to make my IF awkward. If I can please myself how the day pans out 22/2 is plenty.


Congratulations on 4 years of 19/5. I'm not sure what I will do going forward, but I have decided that IF is a good thing to have in the tool kit.
Reply With Quote
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-17, 20:16
dcc0455 dcc0455 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 67
 
Plan: LC / IF
Stats: 224/155/155 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
I am soon coming up to my 4th anniversary of Fast-5 (19/5). To be honest 5 hours is too long a feeding window for me after all this time, but it is my psychological limit if life is conspiring to make my IF awkward. If I can please myself how the day pans out 22/2 is plenty.


Ambulo,
I had not heard of Fast-5 until your post. I watched a youtube video from a few years ago, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHQbg4xH9lw and it was not clear to me if there is something specific to the 19 hour fast. I like the idea of intermittent fasting, but I'm still trying to find my sweet spot. A 7 or 8 hour eating window seems about right for 2 meals. I'm not sure I could eat 2 full meals in a 5 hour window, so I guess it would be 1 meal and 1 snack. Anyway, just wondering if you wanted to share any info about how you are doing it.
Reply With Quote
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-07-17, 02:04
Ambulo's Avatar
Ambulo Ambulo is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 812
 
Plan: No GPS/OMAD (23:1)
Stats: 150/124/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Location: the North, England
Default

I decreased my time very gradually from the full 5 hours to around 2 most days - gradually as in over 3 years! The last 30 - 50 minutes is devoted to slowly sipping a beverage which is not allowed during my version of fasting, such as bone broth, red wine, coffee with cream.

I have abandoned labels such as "meal" and "snack" as irrelevant to a short time frame. I usually have a hot course of meat or fish or eggs with veg, a salad, and a pudding of berries with Greek yoghurt/cream/coconut yoghurt/coconut ice cream/flaxseed muffin. And often some 100% chocolate and nuts/nut butter. Some days I omit the hot course and have canned fish/boiled eggs/cold meat/cheese with the salad.

I am not a strict low carber, don't count or aim for macros, just avoid grains, sugars, potatoes, processed food, ready meals, commercial desserts, high-sugar fruits etc.

16/8 is a good practice. You can be happy there, or find yourself moving towards 18/6 or 19/5. One reason I went shorter was my lazy desire to have only one session of preparing and cleaning up per day.
Reply With Quote
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-07-17, 09:44
Nrracing Nrracing is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 337
 
Plan: CLC 18/6 Clean Fast
Stats: 269.7/259.4/205 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
I decreased my time very gradually from the full 5 hours to around 2 most days - gradually as in over 3 years! The last 30 - 50 minutes is devoted to slowly sipping a beverage which is not allowed during my version of fasting, such as bone broth, red wine, coffee with cream.

I have abandoned labels such as "meal" and "snack" as irrelevant to a short time frame. I usually have a hot course of meat or fish or eggs with veg, a salad, and a pudding of berries with Greek yoghurt/cream/coconut yoghurt/coconut ice cream/flaxseed muffin. And often some 100% chocolate and nuts/nut butter. Some days I omit the hot course and have canned fish/boiled eggs/cold meat/cheese with the salad.

I am not a strict low carber, don't count or aim for macros, just avoid grains, sugars, potatoes, processed food, ready meals, commercial desserts, high-sugar fruits etc.

16/8 is a good practice. You can be happy there, or find yourself moving towards 18/6 or 19/5. One reason I went shorter was my lazy desire to have only one session of preparing and cleaning up per day.



Ambulo, YESSSSS I am so happy to find another person that fast, I am now doing 18/6, and on weekends 19/5. I like it and I agree with the lazy part of making meals lol. I also am like you when it comes to not being a strict low carber. I also don't count or aim for macros, just avoid grains, sugars, potatoes, processed food, ready meals, commercial desserts, high-sugar fruits etc. I also do not drink sodas, juices and eat any type of desserts. I do my High fat low carb, plus 18/6 or 19/5. I have only been doing it for about 40 days and love it. I feel I can go longer.

Do you have any type of tips or and advice to give? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-08-17, 09:51
Ambulo's Avatar
Ambulo Ambulo is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 812
 
Plan: No GPS/OMAD (23:1)
Stats: 150/124/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Location: the North, England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrracing
Do you have any type of tips or and advice to give? Thanks


My main tip is: when you fast, fast as strictly as you can. When you eat, eat until full, but not stuffed.

Ignore the anti-low carb remarks in this blog and comments, and stick to the advice as to acceptable beverages while fasting:
The Importance of a Clean Fast

Have fun!
Reply With Quote
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-08-17, 13:19
Nrracing Nrracing is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 337
 
Plan: CLC 18/6 Clean Fast
Stats: 269.7/259.4/205 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
My main tip is: when you fast, fast as strictly as you can. When you eat, eat until full, but not stuffed.

Ignore the anti-low carb remarks in this blog and comments, and stick to the advice as to acceptable beverages while fasting:
The Importance of a Clean Fast

Have fun!


Thanks Ambulo, I am very strict, I only drink water. I had to do pickle juice once cause I was getting Charlie horse in my legs and feet. That went right away.
Reply With Quote
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-08-17, 17:16
Momma Bear Momma Bear is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 830
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198.5/179.5/140 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Location: British Columbia
Default

I am another advocate of IF. Congratulations Ambulo! After 4 years, I would say you have found your WOE!

I recently began fasting as per Gin Stephens (author of the "The Importance of a Clean Fast" blog and the books "Delay, Don't Deny", and "Feast without Fear".)

I do a clean fast with water, black coffee and plain tea. No bone broth but I sometimes drink hot water with a pinch or 2 of Pink Himalayan salt. It helps with electrolytes and seems to prevent those painful Charlie Horse cramps. I guess the salt water would be similar to pickle juice.

I usually fast 20 or more hours and eat once a day but also sometimes go with 18:6 to accommodate meetings or luncheons. I have introduced carbs back into my meals and am keeping tabs on my results. I may do better with lowering the carbs but I am experimenting with how I manage with 100-150 grams.

IF is a lifestyle and certainly is not a fast weight loss plan but I have tried so many plans over the years that I am willing to give this a fair shot.
Reply With Quote
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-17, 09:23
Nrracing Nrracing is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 337
 
Plan: CLC 18/6 Clean Fast
Stats: 269.7/259.4/205 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Bear
I am another advocate of IF. Congratulations Ambulo! After 4 years, I would say you have found your WOE!

I recently began fasting as per Gin Stephens (author of the "The Importance of a Clean Fast" blog and the books "Delay, Don't Deny", and "Feast without Fear".)

I do a clean fast with water, black coffee and plain tea. No bone broth but I sometimes drink hot water with a pinch or 2 of Pink Himalayan salt. It helps with electrolytes and seems to prevent those painful Charlie Horse cramps. I guess the salt water would be similar to pickle juice.

I usually fast 20 or more hours and eat once a day but also sometimes go with 18:6 to accommodate meetings or luncheons. I have introduced carbs back into my meals and am keeping tabs on my results. I may do better with lowering the carbs but I am experimenting with how I manage with 100-150 grams.

IF is a lifestyle and certainly is not a fast weight loss plan but I have tried so many plans over the years that I am willing to give this a fair shot.


Momma Bear, you are so correct about this not being a fast weight loss plan but a lifestyle plan. I am also good to know that you have been doing it for 4 years. I so funny people say things like, this is not healthy, Breakfast is important meal, and so on. They have been sold a lie. I might try and up my 18/6 to a 19/5 today. I do 20-21 hrs on the weekends so it's not bad.

I read through the links from Ambulo, and I loved them. I am so happy I found them. I like this life style and will stick with it. well I have to lol. I can't wait ti see how I look and my loss 2 months from now. I just do about 35-45 carbs a day. Beats the 400 or more I was doing with out fasting. lol

Momma bear, do you have any tips? the more the better!

Clean fast is the best fasting period!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13   ^
Old Yesterday, 11:00
Momma Bear Momma Bear is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 830
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198.5/179.5/140 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Location: British Columbia
Default

Tips....well, I am actually a newbie with IF so I am still working out the kinks! I am doing OMAD and usually fast for 20 hours or more.....and then I eat whatever I want! I eat a normal amount of food and I'm done. I drink water, black coffee or hot salt water during the day and plain tea in the evening.

Weight loss is very slow for me......about 3-6 ounces a week but at least there is a downward trend. I always have been a slow loser.......usually a pound, maybe 2 a MONTH and then I would have something carby and end up going off plan.....Over and over again!

Some people seem to see much faster results but I have carried this weight for many, many years and it's extremely stubborn! IF seems to be sustainable so I am giving it my best shot! Onward and downward!

Last edited by Momma Bear : Yesterday at 11:29.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:36.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.