Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistant diet
Stats: 320/240/138
BF:44%/33%/19%
Progress: 44%
Question Is this too much loss in one week?

I am very happy that I am losing weight, however I am worried it is coming off too fast and I will get a ton of excess skin. As a matter of fact I am already seeing dimpling and dents and I still have a ways to go. I lose about 7 to 9 lbs a week. I am eating a very good amount of food and drinking about a gallon of water a day. I exercise on the treadmill for an hour and do 150 crunchers a day. I am doing the crunchers to try and help eliminate some excess skin. Any Advice?

Thanks

April
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 15:01
Registered Member

bump
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 15:14
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I promise it will slow down. You always lose the most in the very beginning because of the water weight associated with all the carbs you ate previously.

Just relax - eat right - eat when you are hungry.

All the best to you.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:30
Registered Member

Thanks Lisa

I have been doing this for a little while and 66 pounds lost so I dont think its water weight, I am nervous about my skin because I am already seeing dimpling and dents. Yesterday I lost two pounds and a couple of days ago I lost three in one day. I lose at least 1 lb a day sometimes more.

I guess its better than not losing weight at all or too slowly, I dont eat much because I am on medicine that has killed my appetite but I make sure I eat some even If I have to force myself.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 15:43
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Wow I didn't realize you had been at this so long. Well you are going to have some extra skin whenever you lose (it happens) the best way to combat that is the exercise and you are taking care of that.

It seems your metabolism is very high and not eating much is adding to the rapid lose. My one fear is that when you are down a lot and get hungry again you may gain back fast too.

Maybe try to eat in five or six small meals (instead of the usual three) and increase your calories by adding fats like dressings as dips, butter to cook with???

How do you feel????
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 09:44
Registered Member

Thanks for the response, sorry I havent gotten back to you I have been super busy and havent been online,I am trying to eat a couple more meals each day and the weight loss is down to about 1lb a day with no more occasions of more than a pound a day.

The reason why my appetite is gone is because of me being on glucophage for pcos. One of the side effects is loss of appetite. I cant think of any time I wont be on this.

I feel fine other than no appetite.

Thanks

April
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 17:16

Stats: 235/195/190
BF:??%/15.9%/<10%
Progress: 89%

Keep drinking lots of water. This is good for a number of reasons one of which is it helps keep the skin elastic. I do not know how fast you can "shrink" your skin. I would guess that with a rapid weight loss it will take time for your skin to catch up. The human body is an incredible machine though and can adapt in amazing ways. Keep up with the exercise as well because as you tighten your muscles they will in turn pull the skin back.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 07:47
Registered Member

Thanks MaineDaddy

I have never been a big fan of drinking water, that has been probably one of my biggest struggles with this diet but I will keep it up. I saw my doctor yesterday and he told me that to wait two years after my weight loss to see what my skin does and we would go on from there. He stated he should be able to write a letter of recommendation for me so I wont have to pay out of pocket. Otherwise It will just have to be a big visa bill

I have switched from walking on my treadmill to jogging and I can feel my stomach muscles tightening when I am jogging too so hopefully that will also help.

Thanks Again

April
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 12:23

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Great progress!!

You may want to add more weight exercises. It helps a lot with toning of the skin. I know that sounds strange, but think about it. How many weight lifters do you see with saggin face skin? I don't quite remember all the stuff about how this happens, but it does. You can use light free weights to start out.

The water is important, but also make sure you are getting enough fat. I just say this because I went on a low fat-veg diet once (drinking tons of water) and my skin got horribly, horribly dry.

Also, use lotion twice a day to help keep the skin supple. If you can find it (you have the ask the pharmacy for it), Am-lactin is really good (use to be prescription Lac-Hydrin). Its expensive and its thick, but it works wonders! I usually use that at night, and then a lighter moisturizer in the morning.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 15:01
Registered Member

thanks quietone for the tips

Ill check into the lotion, unfortunately with the pcos I am not suppose to be doing weight training my RE said that it can increase testosterone levels and since I have pcos I have to try and keep mine low as possible.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 16:28

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Really!?!?!

I never heard that before!

That's interesting though. But if that's the case, you would think that any woman who did weight workouts would have higher testosterone (i.e, facial hair, voice etc.).

I will have to do some research.

I believe if you stay at low weights with more repetitions, you will just become toned, not muscular.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 19:20

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 156/153/115 Female 62 inches 5'2
BF:
Progress: 7%

my fitness instructor stressed to me once that anything over 30 minutes on the tread is not beneficial at all..30 mins is ALL u need..anything over thats not making a difference
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-04, 08:47
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

If you are scared you are losing too fast, then start progressing through OWL. Remember if you go through all the stages by the time you reach maintanance you won't have to alter your diet to kepe the weight loss off. Adding in more healthy carbs such as more veggies, fruits and so on can slow the weight loss slightly and work to begin rebuilding your tolerence to carbs so you can eat more once weight loss is done.

Start by adding more veggies. Spaghetti squash is coming into season. Try having a full cup with meatballs and tomato sauce. Or look at the mock coconut pie that uses it. Add in more salads and greens at dinner. Maybe even try breakfast veggies such as zucchini hashbrowns, spinach omlettes or bacon fried cabbage.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-04, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Interesting thread. I have some of the symptoms of PCOS, so I'm always listening for information about this syndrome.

The advise on weight training your RE gave you sounds RIDICULOUS to me. And lifting light weights with many reps will bore you before it will tone you.

Heavy weight training DOES increase testosterone levels - IN MEN. Almost all such research is performed on male test subjects, because they don't have menstrual cycles to "mess up" the results.

I understand it is true that test levels increase slightly in women from weight training. But I can assure you, after three years of heavy weight training, my voice has NOT changed. And it sure helped me get lean. Oh, and off metformin.

My .02