Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 20:57

Plan: LowCarb/Carnivo/Intermit
Stats: 365/279.8/190 Male 6 foot
BF:
Progress: 49%
Angry Started Again... stuck on second week

I restarted after years of being away. Lost 13 lbs in a week the second week lost zero. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Just your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 23:43

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnd
I restarted after years of being away. Lost 13 lbs in a week the second week lost zero. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Just your thoughts.

There are articles on here that describe when fat cells empty their fat that sometimes they fill with fluid and the next week you'll have a whoosh when you loose the fluid.

This diet works, read all of the journals here, especially the ones written by men who have reach goal and there are many. Start at the beginning of their journey and I'm sure it will give you lots of ideas.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 05:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Here's the article Meme mentioned on typical patterns of weight loss and yours is: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499

Both Grav and khrussva have recent success stories that should help you, there are many others. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Welcome back
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 21:04

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hey Nathan, I just saw you posted picture and saw that you were last here about 10 years ago but didn't read all your back story. What is your current "plan"? Are you following a published one or your own?

After the initial water weight comes off I say all bets are off as to what will happen next. This why almost all "diet" plans make such claims. In order for this to work, and for all I know it has for you in the past, is to do it long term and make some significant changes in your approach to food, or at least that's what I had to do.

If it's any help here's my short history doing this, bump ups and all...

Good luck and trust you will find a way.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 22:11

BF:

Thanks. Just nervous reading diet doctor and trying to follow what he says. Trying to stay below 20 carbs. Not sure how long I should stay 20 and below.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 22:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

You found a good site to help remedy your fatty liver. Don't worry about "How long" for now, just practice doing it for a few months, you will likely do yourself no harm, then you can decide how to proceed from there. I see that you are going on a cruise soon. It will be difficult to follow your plan I'm guessing as you will not be doing your own cooking. I wish you luck!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 00:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF, VLCHFLC
Stats: 375/270/225 Male 6ft 0in
BF:Nope I'm Straight
Progress: 70%

Ive been below 20 for 6 months. Doc loves my current stats
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 01:55

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nathan. I wouldn't go thinking too far ahead just yet. For starters just take it one week at a time, and just keep doing it for as long as it keeps working.

Here in NZ our food labels have a column for nutritional info per 100g, which is great as it lets you easily and objectively compare any two products. So I started by limiting myself not by the day, but by the 100g; I could continue to eat to satiety, as long as I stuck to food that contained no more than 10g net carbs per 100g of food. And as above, the plan was to just stay there for as long as it kept working.

I stuck there for about 3-4 months, by which time I'd discovered enough options to drop down to 5g/100g across the board, and I stayed there for about 10 months, for no other reason than it continued to work all that time. I'm experimenting with a 10g/100g limit again at the moment now that I'm more or less at goal.

Even if you have a bad week, keep at it. Thud's graph is a great illustration of how things can fluctuate wildly over time. My losses have been far more consistent in comparison, but not completely blip free.

You can do it mate. Good luck to ya.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 04:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnd
Thanks. Just nervous reading diet doctor and trying to follow what he says. Trying to stay below 20 carbs. Not sure how long I should stay 20 and below.

The 20g Two Week Challenge on DietDoctor is the clinic diet used at Duke Lifestyle Clinic also found in the back of Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. Through the local support group I know people who have kept below 20 g for years and years, it is what they need to do to control blood sugars and stay healthy. Everyone keeps it 20g until ten pounds from goal...there are no "phases" in the clinic. Clinic patients are obese and often diabetic, so the plan is stripped down to the basics...very easy to follow.
I have eaten this way for six years, with more vegetables than the basic plan, but if weight creeps up I rein the carbs back further and add intermittent fasting. Check DietDoctor for info on that. Go through the list of permitted foods find ones you like, http://www.kostdoktorn.se/wp-conten...starch_diet.pdf
Eat When you are Hungry, stop when full. You'll do great on it as long as you want.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 08:06

BF:

OK good for me my wife is on the diet too. However. I am the picky eater but lucky I love meats, eggs, cheese, etc. So I should be fine eating. Hoping I will eat bacon and eggs on cruise. Lunch either steak, cheese burgers no bread maybe same for dinner.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 09:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi Nathan
I am also back to low carb after years away-- end of my second week. 6 pounds down. I'm an avid lurker in the threads...but wanted to share something with you.

My contribution to the discussion isn't about diet tweaks, but mental ones. The following have helped me enormously:
- I search words like "patience" or "frustrated" and read long conversations (often from years ago) where ppl are supported each other.
- read the Turtle thread. Talk about patience, and ideas to stay with it, stay calm, and small tweaks to help ... An inspiration to those of us who want faster results and get downhearted easily.
- it's only been two weeks! And all I can think about is my weight (I hate that. I makes the time seems so long). I've learned that it's more helpful for me to commit to a time goal than a weight loss goal. For example, I'm going to do 20-30 carbs for 6 months and just see what happens...
- I re-read Atkins and articles posted here like diet doctor and it keeps me thinking positive.
- I am adding very very small tweaks each week as I learn things

Thinking about dieting a lot makes the day seem so long and the diet endless-- so either I research about since I'm thinking about it anyway or I catch myself thinking about it and I DO something instead.

I hope this helps a bit Nathan. 13 lbs is GREAT! Keep tweaking and learning about this woe and about your own body. Be a detective and stay curious and you will get there. And lucky you that your wife is on board and you can support each other!!!

Last edited by Blue Ruby : Mon, Jan-23-17 at 09:26. Reason: Typos!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 09:54

Plan: Keto
Stats: 250/229/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:

It's been a journey for me as well; I've been consistent since Thanksgiving 2016 and have lost 23 lbs so far. I've stopped counting calories now because it doesn't seem to matter. I do count carbs and am staying under 25g / day. Other than that, I just make sure I eat fatty foods and throw in some above-ground vegetables. My favorite things that meet the High Fat part of my diet are summer sausage and pork rinds. For a while there, I would get the occasional urge to binge and when I did, I would just binge on summer sausage, cheddar cheese and pork rinds. Probably had 3500 to 4000 calories some days, but I didn't pack on any weight and I definitely felt satiated afterward. For a few days after that, I skipped a few meals because I wasn't hungry. It seems to come and go, and I eat a lot some days and a little other days. I don't sweat the total calories, but I always make sure the carbs are under 25g. It seems to be working great and I feel like this is something I can keep up for the rest of my life, unlike any other diet I've tried.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 23:10

BF:

Thanks. Love the comments.