Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-25-06, 11:55

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%
Default Please help: I feel cranky and stressed!!!!!!!!

I just started back on TSP this past week and I am not feeling the best! I seem to crave carbs even though my appetite seems to be less as in when I make food I only end up eating like half of it. However my cravings for sweet food seems to have gone through the roof!!! I also find myself thinking about food a LOT more even when I'm not hungry.

According to Kathleen Demaisons of The Sugar Addicts Recovery I should just be concentrating on getting my protein right and maybe increasing my carbs a bit. But I so want to lose weight, I really hate being this size (see my signature). I feel so unattractive and like my body has turned against me.

Here I am finally trying to heal and I think I'm actually gaining weight. My scale is broken so I had to throw it out but my clothes seem tighter. How can this be when I am trying to be healthy? Maybe I am eating too much fat I think so I'm gonna watch that.

I am dreaming of fries and mayonaise right now!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-25-06, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/167/165 Female 178cm
BF:43%/35%/20%/18%
Progress: 98%

I guess we all have those bad days, but couldn't you prepare something with sweetener to trick your brain? That's what I do, even a diet drink will do. Don't lose sight of how those pounds make you feel, it's probably worse than the withdrawal symptoms??? Stay strong, you are not alone, someone in South Africa is suffering with you.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 17:32
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default You can do this...

Scarlet,

The first week (or maybe two) on TSP is the toughest. You imply that you've done TSP before, so you likely already know that. But remember, too, that you're not out for instant results with this program (and that's a very good thing). The benefits will come over a period of time, and they will be well worth waiting for!

If you've been doing faddish dieting, it's likely you'll gain a few pounds after you start. That's normal. You'll eventually lose them, and more - and you'll be much healthier, too.

I suspect that you may be compensating for the loss of the relationship you mentioned. So you find yourself craving sweets for comfort, and at the same time you want everything "fixed" (perfect physique, healthy, feeling great, new relationship) instantly . I'm sure you know that isn't possible. But please consider this: Just because some guy doesn't realize how valuable you are, don't you make the same mistake. Take your time, stick with the program, get healthy, and you'll have guys lined up to choose from!

I agree with your advisor - more protein. You can help curb the craving for sweets with chromium; check the Schwarzbein books for what she recommends.

Hang in there!

-Don
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 06:51

Stats: 180/175/145 Female 5'9"
BF:?
Progress: 14%

I also recommend chromium. It really does help the carb cravings.

Sometimes when we are dehydrated we crave sweets, so drink lots of water.

Another thing that helps my carb cravings is the flavored stevia by Sweet Leaf. They come in flavors like English Toffee, Vanilla Creme, Milk Chocolate, and Dark Chocolate. I like to add them to ice water. The only flavor I had that I didn't love is the Chocolate Raspberry.

Shelly
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 06:56

Plan: TSP (CALP'd for 8 yrs 1st
Stats: 235/175/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi Scarlet -- I'm just wondering how you're doing now that some time's gone by. Did you get through the rough days? What can we do to offer support now?

Some people get through sugar detox with stevia. I'm glad that works for them. As for me, I've found through much trial and error that I need to just avoid sweet tastes altogether. In a short while, the desire for sweet goes away pretty much entirely.

Please understand this in context: I used to run my own cake and dessert business. Ideas for gourmet chocolate delicacies percolate in my head, bidden or unbidden. My favorite creative expression used to be creating "ultimate" desserts. However, I have to say that now I hardly ever even give them a thought. They've lost their magic, after a lifetime of thinking that chocolate flowed from a river in heaven somewhere. (Now I indulge in calligraphy. SO much less collateral damage to my health! I'd rather feed my soul and mind anyway.)

The fact is, bodies are highly adaptable things. If you eat healthfully, your tastes WILL adjust. It's a beautiful thing.

Hang in there, and let us know how it's going, okay?

~ tiffany
P.S. to Don (Boomer Guy) -- Your reply was so sweet and thoughtful. You are a blessing!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 14:38

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Thanks everyone for all your helpful replies. I have been a bit better, still not feeling 100% though. I find TSP hard to fit into my lifestyle because there are so many banned items but I am slowly working my way through it. I have lost lots of weight off my face and butt but bizzarley I think my stomach has gotten bigger. The scale has registered a 4lb loss since last time I wieghed myself though so I am VERY happy with that.

I just wish this forum was more active.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-06, 18:03
Registered Member

Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Thumbs up Your Body is Reshaping Itself

Hi Scarlet,

Glad you're feeling better! And the fact that your body is reshaping itself is a very good thing, because it shows the program is already doing something for you. (And the fact that you even lost some weight makes it even cooler.)

Good for you!

Okay, here's something to think about: Our minds are incredibly powerful servants that try to accomplish for us whatever we focus on. (And if we go beyond just thinking to saying things out loud -- like "I'm fat" -- then that powerful little servant will do whatever it takes to line our reality up with those statements we make. A sobering thought.) [This whole subject is a "hobby horse" of mine, so don't let me get started.]

So consider changing your focus from what is "banned" to your favorite things that are allowed. The things on the "banned" list are there because they work against you -- they can keep you sick or even make you sick! Then come to see the allowed things as things that are good, and healthy, and friendly to your body -- and to your goal of eventually losing excess fat.

I'm guessing that if you start focusing on that "good stuff", and you start treating yourself to the things you especially like, the sun is going to shine a little brighter, and the birds are gonna sing a little sweeter each day.

Just a thought.

You're doing great. Keep it up!

-Don
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-11-06, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: CALP, now Schwarzbein
Stats: 203/143/143 Female 160 cm
BF:56%/22%/22%
Progress: 100%
Default re: your body is reshaping itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerGuy
Hi Scarlet,
So consider changing your focus from what is "banned" to your favorite things that are allowed. The things on the "banned" list are there because they work against you -- they can keep you sick or even make you sick! Then come to see the allowed things as things that are good, and healthy, and friendly to your body -- and to your goal of eventually losing excess fat.

I'm guessing that if you start focusing on that "good stuff", and you start treating yourself to the things you especially like, the sun is going to shine a little brighter, and the birds are gonna sing a little sweeter each day.
-Don

Wonderfully said, Don! You are truly an inspiration! I did this too when I found out about the many many food allergies and sensitivities I have/had, it helps so much not to get discouraged and depressed. E.g. sugar has always been poison for me and now that I'm on TSP I learned that my instincts were right, very encouraging!

Barbara