Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 12:13

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default 1st Challenge Almost Over...next step?

Just looking for some advice: I just finished week 10, so I only have two weeks to go and I'm trying to decide what my next move will be.

1) I'd like to get closer to my goal weight before I start another challenge, but I also want to maintain as much of the muscle that I gained as I can (so far about 5.5 pounds). Should I keep lifting and just lower the weights and increase the reps to keep toned, but stop building or should I stop lifting? My carb level is 35-60 right now. Can I go back to Intervention Phase I levels and still exercise? And where does cardio fit into this scheme? I figure I can I still do HIIT for 20 minutes on 20-30 carbs...

2) Goal Weight : When I first started my goal weight range (according to PP's hip/waist/height body fat calculations and weight) was 134-141 pounds for 18-22% body fat. Now, those same calculations give me a new ideal weight range of 150-158 based on the same 18-22% body fat. However, the body fat percentages from PP's calculation tables are much higher than the ones I get when I enter similar information into the CKD site's calculator, so the calcs based on CKD for ideal weight were 161-170 before BFL and 170-178 after (18-22% BF). How can I actually find a good weight range for me when the BF calculators are so disparate?

I love BFL, but I have not lost any scale weight since I started and I'd like to get rid of some more fat before I start the next challenge. I don't need to be "at goal" body fat or weight by August, but I'd like to be close. My body just doesn't seem willing to let the fat go while it's building muscle - I lose and gain at about the same rate. Suggestions...?

Last edited by DivaDani : Mon, Feb-18-02 at 12:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 12:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dani, advice we can offer, happily The choice is your ultimately. What I can suggest right off the bat is to get rid of the scales. They really aren't your ally in this.

I'd continue lifting; and at the same intensity. To lose fat you need your muscle mass; to maintain that mass you have to work those muscles - lowering the weight and lifting more will not give you those results. I have a girlfriend who has been lifting weights that way for 10 years - her body shape hasnt changed in all that time.

The problem you're facing seems to be lack of movement on the scales. Have you lost inches? Do your clothes fit better? This would give an indication of fat loss and muscle development - your ultimate goal, no?

I've been doing some research of my own in preparation for 'what comes next' and I can point you in one direction: www.bodyrx.com It's a program by Dr. Scott Connelly that focusses on fat loss in a manner similar to BFL. The key for Connelly is increasing protein. You eat more protein, you lose more fat - and he's got the research to back it up. Regardless of what comes after BFL for me, I know I will be lifting weights in some manner or another. Body Rx appeals to me in that Connelly eschews cardio. I kinda like that notion!

Goal weight? You'll know when you get there. Not the answer your looking for, I'm sure But look at my stats - I have no clue what my goal weight is going to be either.

If you really are losing and gaining at about the same rate given a few months you will be ahead of the game. Newbies to lifting typically make remarkable gains in muscle growth at first - this does not continue, however. People in their 3rd or 4th challenge are happy to grow one or two lbs of lean muscle in 12 weeks. And do not forget that you're in week 10 right now; often dramatic results occurr between week 10 and 12.

Hope this helps some.
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 14:15

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
The problem you're facing seems to be lack of movement on the scales. Have you lost inches? Do your clothes fit better? This would give an indication of fat loss and muscle development - your ultimate goal, no?

At the moment, the scale really isn't my main hangup. Yes, I have lost inches and my clothes fit better, but I lost almost twice as many inches in the 8 weeks before I started BFL than I have in the 10 weeks I've been doing it. Unless I was losing muscle before, it seems that I lost more fat before BFL. Don't get me wrong - I love the muscle - but it just seems like I can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time.

Goal weight? You'll know when you get there. Not the answer your looking for, I'm sure But look at my stats - I have no clue what my goal weight is going to be either.
[/QUOTE]
OK, this does make me feel better. What the number ends up to be is not that important to me, I just have never been at a "healthy" weight and I'm not sure what that is. I'm sure you're right about knowing when I get there...

Thanks,
Dani