Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 05:43

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power Pals: Sunday, May 23

Yes, I'm starting the thread. Mostly because I'm bored bored bored. "Rainy days and Sundays always get me down," to misquote an old Carpenters' song. At least if it's sunny and warm, I can get some weeding and other chores done. Nothing to do indoors on a rainy day.

We're having a potluck this Friday at work -- that is, if everyone can muster a little enthusiasm for it. We have potlucks several times a year, and everyone is always up for them. They're excited and talk about who's bringing what.

Not this time. We're having a major software conversion, and everyone has been in training for the past two weeks. Next week no training is scheduled, but then the following four weeks consists of training.

No one is "into" this potluck. "Why do I have to bring in food? The company should provide it." Huh? Where in the world did they get the idea that the company has to feed them? I simply don't understand it.

So anyway, I wanted to make a low-carb cheesecake. I've tried many recipes, including several from Beachgirl over on the Dark Side. I've never been crazy about any of them. A girlfriend recently gave me her recipe for "Blender Cheesecake." With a few low-carb substitutions, it turned out really great. Thick and creamy, just like a "real" cheesecake. Here's the recipe:

Crust:
1 1/2 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
1/3 cup whey protein powder
4 Tbsp melted butter

Mix together and press into the bottom of a springform pan. I used a 10" pan and it turned out nice and thick (I dislike skinny cheesecakes).

Filling:
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup Splenda (or other low- or no-carb sweetener)

Put this into a blender and blend on high for 15 seconds.

Gradually add:
1 pound cream cheese (2 packages), softened
2 Tbsp melted butter

Bake in pre-heated 325 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes. It will look "loose," but it firms as it cools. Chill thoroughly before serving.

NOTE: I didn't have luck with the blender. It went well until I got to my second package of cream cheese. Then it just wouldn't blend, even though I had it on high. Maybe my blender is old. I had to pour it into a bowl and use the mixer. Next time, I'll just start with the mixer and whip the cream cheese and then gradually add all the other ingredients.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Sun, May-23-04 at 05:54.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 05:52

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Here's the nutrition count for the entire recipe:
Calories: 4,333
Fat: 401 grams
Carbs: 64 grams (minus 24 grams fiber = 40 ECC)
Protein: 108 grams
So, for 12 servings you get:
Calories: 361
Fat: 33 grams
Carbs: 5 grams (minus 2 grams fiber = 3 ECC)
Protein: 9 grams
For 8 servings you get:
Calories: 542
Fat: 50 grams
Carbs: 8 grams (minus 3 grams fiber = 5 ECC)
Protein: 13 grams
If you want to lower the calories, you could use Neufchatel cheese (the Philly brand is the best; store brands oftentimes have higher carb counts for the Neufchatel), which is typically 1/3 fewer calories from fat. You could also use lower-fat sour cream. Both these substitutions would increase the carb count, but not by much.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 06:04

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good morning.
Bawdy, if I hadn't already eaten breakfast I would have been eating my keyboard reading about that cheesecake

Food is better and I managed a 2 mile WATP tape yesterday. Laundry this AM and then keeping cool the rest of the day. It is gross outside here. It is too early for heat and humidity, it's only MAY!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 07:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Morning! Yes, Elaine, it's ridiculously hot and humid here as well. That's why I went for my walk at 8 am yesterday and laid by the pool at 10 am. It was BEARABLE then, but not so much later. We had a record high yesterday in the low 90's. The cheesecake recipe sounds really good. I've never tried making a cheesecake before, but it sounds tempting. I'm hooked on the 1/3 less fat cream cheese. It tastes as good as the original, but with less calories. Actually, there is this stuff at Trader Joe's called yogurt cream cheese which is even better. Same amount of calories and 2 carbs per 2 T. The problem is that it is soooo heavenly, I could just eat it plain out of the container with a spoon!!

Weight is holding today at 147.5. I'm a little curious what the gyno will say. I'm back to my original one again, after my problems from last year, and my weight is 20 lbs lower than it was last time I was weighed there. I'm a bit excited about that. Well, I gotta figure out the plan for today. DBF's car didn't start yesterday and it's about to hit the dust anyway, so I'm not sure if church will be happening or not. I'm convinced he needs to get a new car ASAP b/c the old thing has 200,000 miles, but he wants to hold off till he gets a new apt and his rent goes down considerably. Anyway, hope you all have a great day!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 12:29

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

hey there,

just stopping by to say hi. and have a great sunday!!

sory about the drive by....