Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1966   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 06:07
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades65
JO:
On the carbs on the Almond milk I added one cup of HWC to the half gallon of almond milk. When I did the math the HWC added to the over all carbs of the almond milk. AND instead of shooting myself in the foot I tend to round up to the highest when it comes to carbs to be sure I am not under counting them. My brain is still mud this morning and can not find where I wrote this down. Will look at it again to be sure I am not under carbing my amounts. I am beginning to think it could be the almond milk exchange for the HWC because 4 days in a row another loss of .4. My overall eating has not changed and I had a super hungry day Monday.
Huge Congrats on another 0.4 lbs!! Every ounce DOWN is a WIN WIN!!!

I agree that it makes sense to round up with your carb count... better safe then sorry eh???
Quote:
So happy you have a wonderful job you love. I have another friend that is a pre school teacher and she also loves her job. She does such fun things with her kids. You can tell they just love her too.
I would NOT be teaching if I didn't LOVE it! I'm too old to do things I dislike! I figure the day I'm not excited about teaching is the day I hand in my dry erase markers cause it surely would NOT be pleasant for me or my students!
Sponsored Links
  #1967   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 06:34

Plan: Atkins 72'
Stats: 329.4/254.0/179.4 Female 5'10"
BF:hmm..too much ;)
Progress: 50%

Hi Y'all,

Just a quick drive by Hi. Down 1.4 lb's to a new low 296.4, Have to get man-child to work (19 yr old son still working on his graduated license. He gets regular license in November. Thank the Lord!)

Have to go get a notarized statement saying I am who I am. Had to have a certified copy of my birth certificate to get my passport. California won't send me my certified birth certificate until they get this statement. I am guessing this is because of 9/11. (Weird that I'm doing this on the anniversary of 9/11) Last time I got one 23 years ago they took the copy I had without question. I lost my other passport in the fire that destroyed our home. It was never used and would have been expired but I could have used it to get my new passport. I love red tape...not.

Hope everyone's scales are playing pretty. I will get back on later. Have a blessed day!

Last edited by Tamoney : Fri, Sep-11-15 at 06:45.
  #1968   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 08:13

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Do you remember where you were 14 yrs ago at 8:46 am?

I was teaching my kiddos! We didn't hear about it until lunch time, since back then, we didn't have internet access at school nor did many of us have cell phones... it was a surreal experience especially teaching on a military installation!

We only knew something tragic had happen when the base commander (our last general at the base) came to check his daughter out of school. Their eldest daughter was living in NYC and they wanted to be the ones to break the news to her about the event. Their eldest dd was fine but in shock like the rest of us....

I remember it well...it was an hour earlier here...but I was driving to base on my way to work when I heard it on the radio. It was so shocking. My son worked at the airport here so I called him to make sure he was okay. They wouldn't let us leave at the end of our shift that day, think I was there an extra two hours. The next day the gate was backed up to get in and it took two hours to get through. Bases really tightened up after that...
  #1969   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 08:16

BF:

cheers on your pound down Bernie!!! WTG
  #1970   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 08:17

BF:

Tam..happy dance for your loss and new low

#1971   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 08:34

BF:

Looking at more of my paper work they gave me as pre-diabetic here's what they gave me as a Menu Makeover:

Pick low fat/low calorie food
Eat smaller amounts
Lower fat in meats
Use low fat / low calorie substitutes

Make over breakfast;

Eat 1C bran flakes w 1 C skim milk
1 slice toast with jelly
Coffee with 2T nonfat creamer

Instead of eating;
2 fried eggs in butter
And toast with butter or margarine
Coffee with half and half

They also suggest low-fat cheese and low fat mayo
On a sandwich for lunch and instead of eating a whole
1 oz bag of chips, eat just half the bag

For dinner have 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes (no butter added)

meat without fat and a salad with fat free dressing

WOW...I DIDNT STAND A CHANCE WITH THAT MENU! Crazy....

They never mentioned low carb as an alternative.

I thought I was seeing a nutritionist, but he was actually a Lifestyle Coach.

Anyway, time to trash that notebook!!!!
  #1972   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 08:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
ninja post

just so so so busy and playing catchup right now. alot of work to happen outside, near the barn etc. hopefully heat will start to cool off and my riding time will come! I got new shoes, so when I get those, I want to ride my horse LOL

reading along and enjoying everyone's posts. just tired to post back right now---soon I should be on an even keel and have more time.
off to moms tomorrow, dear lord she wants to hit the mall.
the MALL! ugh but we will have fun!

dropped 1 lb. 100% on plan. right on top of my 188 low weight and then I am going keep on going down the stupid scale. it is what I want and it is what I will get ...lbs. lost!!

everyone take care and stay the LC course!

nice job on the pound off! onward and downward Karen ....
  #1973   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 09:00

BF:

Jo...

That's quite a crazy couple of days you had at school. What idiots, not telling you about the busted gas line.

Geeze about the bathrooms too, did they expect you all to wear adult diapers or what... That's crazy too.

So glad it's back to normal for you today ( hopefully!)

Sometimes you just have to wonder what people in charge are thinking!

Hope your day at school went well

#1974   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 09:47

Plan: Atkins '72 low carbs
Stats: 303/233/203 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Friday

Woke up to see the scale had delivered me a lost pound since yesterday. Weighed 271. But I am not going to get real excited about it. I played golf yesterday for the first time in 3 years and lost a ton of water sweating like a stuffed pig in the thick humidity. It was torture. I just couldn't drink enough afterwards to rehydrate myself, so I know this pound is all water and not lost fat. I'll see what it reads tomorrow.

I'm convinced that most of our daily weight fluctuations are simply from water weight variations. Depending on how much you drink during the day, and especially in the evening before bed, how much your body retains water and how much it decides to slough off, whether you are on a diuretic or not (like I am), I believe all of these factors alter our daily weight outside of our efforts to lose real fat weight. This is one reason I don't record the decimal places on my daily weight recordings. Whether the scale reads 272.2 or 272.8, I still record my weight as 272 because I think all these small percentages are water-related anyway. So, I don't "sweat" the small stuff, no pun intended.

I ended up not eating dinner last night, after eating at the Outback so late in the afternoon after golf. I had some cheese for a mid-evening snack. I brought home the boiled shrimp for Patty and she had it for her dinner. I scored some points with that move. She was all smiles.

I'm done with my walk. It was mostly cloudy and breezy so not real uncomfortable. But it's forecasted to be 90 degrees today so it will be hot later. I've got to repair the bull paddock gate today. Our 2,000 pound bull, Buster, literally lifted the gate off of it's pin hinges and laid it on the ground. He was probably using it to rub up against to scratch an itch and it came off the pegs it sits on. I will have to reposition the top peg so it faces down, so he can't lift to off again. The guy is so big, he's like a freight train leaning up against a house of cards. The cards haven't got a chance. They say that if a bull wants to get out of an enclosure, he will get out no matter what you do to secure them. They are just so strong that they can pretty much do what they want to do, no matter how strong the fence and gate are. We have added an electrical fence line on the existing field fence to keep him off of the fence, but I think that just makes us feel better about his paddock and won't really prevent him from busting through it to get out if he wants to.

Patty headed to the big city this morning to do some grocery shopping. She also tends to the flower beds outside her uncle's business office. She plants shrubs and flowers and weeds it. She's got a real green thumb and tries to keep the place looking nice. Her uncle helps us out in many ways out here on the farm so she is just trying to do what she can to reciprocate. I have to go in to our "little" town after I fix the gate, to get our diesel fuel cans filled with fuel. Patty mowed three pastures yesterday while I was off have fun playing golf (sarcasm alert) and she said we're out of gas. I've got to water and feed the chickens after typing this screed, and feed Joker the steer to keep him fat and happy.

JustJo: Not sure if you didn't read my question about New Mexico or whether you are just ignoring me, but I didn't see an answer from you. I'm guessing you live in Roswell by your description of the old Air Force base (Walker AFB) where you work in your story from today. But I am just guessing. I'm just curious since I lived in New Mexico a couple of times.

DelaneyLC: Good for you in rejecting the menu items recommended by uninformed experts for pre-diabetics. Trusting your own judgment and instincts is usually better for you than listening to others who may not, intentionally or unintentionally, necessarily have your best interests at heart. My brother-in-law was diagnosed as diabetic and he went on this low carb diet and lost a bunch of weight. Surprisingly to himself and his physician, there was no trace of the diabetes in his blood work on his follow-up visit. Good for him.

I have a friend from high school who found out I was eating low-carb. She chastised me and said that I would develop health problems from it. She is a vegetarian and recommended I dump all of the meats and dairy and go strictly veggie. I looked her up an Facebook and her picture revealed that she is heavier than I am. So much for staying healthy with her vegetarianism. The irony apparently escaped her.

Even look at what our government bureaucrats recommend we eat. Look up the government food pyramid on your search engine and see what it says. Eat lots of grains and pasta and fruits and restrict your intake of meats and fats and dairy. Just the opposite of this low-carb WOE. And they wonder why over half of our population is overweight and obese.

Looks like many of you are losing weight, which is a good thing. I know this forum helps me stay on track. This is not any easy journey to travel alone and the support, advice and encouragement from everyone is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by HotHunt : Fri, Sep-11-15 at 17:35.
  #1975   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 11:37

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 230/165/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

TAM:
WOW congrats on another .4 down!!! A new bathing suit always lifts spirits. My Joe had neuropathy from his chemo. I feel for both of you. I see him grimace in pain when he stands up. AND ANOTHER 1.6. WHOOT WHOOT WHOOT. So happy for you. Sure is encouraging to see this WOE working.

HOTHUNT:
No gain is always good!!! So glad you got to get out and play golf. Hoping the weather will cooperate better next time. I have a friend in Florida and hers and your description of the humidity make it sound brutal. I am NOT a humidity kind of gal. Maybe you will meat some friendly golfers if you go more often. IN good weather that is. Sorry about your Bull taking the gate down. And I totally agree on the electric fence. They will plow right on through it if they really want out. Even cows. Glad it is a little cooler there for you today.

KAREN:
WTG on another pound down!!! I think most every one is waiting for things to cool down. I know I am. Happy shopping with Mom today.

BERNIE:
WHOOT On your pound down too!!!! OH my you are getting closer and closer to goal. So inspired to see this happening so so many here.

JO:
I do remember where we were. We were taking the cemetery mower over to Baker Oregon for repair and we took the Hells Canyon rout to get there. It was such a gorgeous day I had Joe stop to get a picture of the mountain reflecting on the still water . It was a perfect mirror image. So peaceful. We had no idea what was happening as we had been on the road for an hour or so. When we got to Baker the gal there was watching it all unfold on her computer and just bawling and then I was too. So stunned. so heartbreaking for so many people.
During the following years an international group of beaders created three wreaths in memorial for those lost. French Beaded Flowers were often used to adorn graves. This was a huge project as so many other memorial projects were. Flowers from all over the world were made and donated to make these wreaths. I feel honored to have been part of this. And HUGE cudos to those that put this all together.
http://www.rosemarykurtz.com/wreaths/
What an insane set of happenings Jo. And I do not understand why they did not get all of you OUT of there when the gas line was hit. so glad you all are safe. That is so totally insane. I would think heads would be rolling with the repair crew. sorry it was such a bad day. Glad things are back up and running today.

DELANEY:
They were adding carbs upon carbs. I kind of remember trying those suggestd diets. Not for diabetes but just to lose weight. And my Mom had me on Some thing close with jello and low fat cottage cheese and the bran cereals. no butter kind of thing. No wonder I kept getting fatter and then sneaking food because I really felt like I was starving. I remember many times spending my allowance on food. Sneak eating. So sad. And yet this kind of thinking is so ingrained into so many people.

I finished up the hallway closet base of tiles and got everything put away. I am feeling pretty sore from doing both closets. Neck is bothering me today. I pan on cleaning up my studio today to work on another project. Clean the house. I sure turned loos a bunch of fur balls out of that closet. LOL Weight holding the same 181.2 today. Guess my window has slammed shut for now. I am thrilled to have lost what I have so far. Not getting discouraged. Have a good one. OH bought new door sweeps and might be taking the doors off their hinges to put the new sweeps on. OH UGH all four doors have windows in them and heavy metal. NOT looking forward to this job and there is no way I can do it alone. not sure Joe is up to it.
  #1976   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 12:12

BF:

Hi HotH, congrats on that pound ...hopefully it will stick for you

Thanks for your comments. I wasn't smart enough to begin with and "tried" the lame diabetic diet for a few months. After that it failed...way, way too many carbs. I tried the vegan thing a couple times, felt super lousy & gained weight, again all carbs...didn't work for me. Now that I know what I know I realize vegetarian is not good for me. I am insulin resistant so the best way of eating for me is definitely low carb.

Your ribeyes sound delish, I grill them at home once in awhile. Cheaper and I know what's on them. I get good deals like 2 for 1 on them. Plus since I don't eat sides it's more practical.

Have a great day
  #1977   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 12:18

BF:

Hi Shades

Aren't those carb upon carb diets, no fat, just awful? I am so glad to have found the right way to eat!!!!

Mmm fat

No way I could go back to low fat eating. Yuck

I have a list of projects to do today too. Gotta go get busy.

Enjoy your day Chris.
  #1978   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 13:02

Plan: ZC Carnivore 100%
Stats: 170/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 77%

102 today. Walked up to convenience market for a dozen eggs to see me thru to Tues ride to Walmart. Scale doing what scale does best while daily I trudge along the lc path. More patient now with wt loss process/progress since I've accepted this is a lifelong change to lc eating, not just another diet. mo
  #1979   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 14:07

Plan: VLC
Stats: 331.8/182.0/175 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Not much time to post here - just checking in and saying I have no change on the scale. So what else is new.

MO - it is only 59˚ here! Quite a difference!!!! wow!
  #1980   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 14:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/242/160 Female 5ft 8in
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Happy Friday Warriors!

May the SCALES be with you all!

Just doing a quick drive by before I catch-up on all the posts I've missed since yesterday!

OMG you would not believe what happened Wednesday! We had a main water line break, no water at the school at 1030 am. No water = no restrooms! Pffffffffffffft!

We released the kiddos at 1 pm. They couldn't find the cause and since it's an old Air Force Base, goodness knows how old the lines are!

School was canceled yesterday for the kiddos but the staff had to report in as usual! Our closest restroom is about 3 or 4 football fields away at the on base elementary school!

Since we didn't have water in the building, if we had to use the facilities we had several choices. Walk over to the elementary school, run to Mc Donald’s or the gas station (drive to both of those places!). Understatement of the year, we were NOT a bunch of happy campers!

We were all watching how much we were drinking so we wouldn't have to run to the bathroom too often! So there was that!

The district didn’t even send out water for us to drink! Way to think about the staff, eh??

The FUN never stopped yesterday!

A lot of us decided we might as well catch up on grades, etc so we were working on our computers and we lost internet connectivity. No internet = no hard wired phones working in the building, we use voip to save on costs.

Apparently the people digging up the water main cut thru our fiber optics! The principal said that he had specifically TOLD them not to dig there! Pfffffffffft Idiots!

We all gather in the library to attend a meeting since we couldn’t do what we wanted on our computers and we smell a strong odor of GAS! We all rush out of the building knowing full well that the blooming idiots have hit the gas line!

Our principal heads out toward where the men are digging up the water main. He sees them HIGH TAILING it away from the dig site at a fast clip.

Our principal runs after them and asks WHY didn’t they tell US they had hit the gas line??? The guy in charge said he didn’t think about it!

I guess they never contacted the gas peeps to find out where the flippin' gas lines were!

Our boss was on the phone with district office to find out what they were going to do with us. Two options: stay there and wait for the gas line to be fixed or go downtown to a district office computer lab where we can work on the computers. With the directive that we BETTER show up or else and stay until our release time.

Boy oh boy, talk about treating us like professionals! Yeah I’m being disingenuous to the MAX!

We were outside for almost 2 hours in the heat whilst they repaired the broken gas line ~ we didn’t know we were going to be outside that long!

Got a text from the secretary last night at almost 7:30pm that our water is back on as well as our internet! So it’s back to the business of education today! Yeeeehaaaa!

Oh my gosh!!! That's crazy. I can't believe they made you go!!!
Closed Thread