Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 16:49

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Question Ugh...is nausea during induction normal?

Ugh...is this normal? I am so nauseated! First day of induction...could it be the sugar withdrawal?

I had so far:

B: two eggs in butter
S: egg "muffins" made with eggs, sausage, and cheese
L: Grilled chicken salad with guac and sour cream
D: The only thing I can gag down right now is some microwaved pepperoni. I made some buffalo chicken last night to have for dinner and took one bite and about gagged.
Water: A small lake

I am hoping it is the withdrawal...any experts who can tell me I will feel better in a few days???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 17:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hi Amy...yes, nausea is normal during induction...so are a lot of other side effects of your body detoxing and adjusting to a new WOE (way of eating!).

I had headaches at first, felt a little lightheaded, didn't really like the food, etc. Usually these things last for the first few days and then start to subside. Your body is going through a major metabolic change as well...going into ketosis, starting to burn FAT for energy instead of CARBS...

You want this...so don't get deterred by the yucky part of the first week. After the side effects go, the rest of induction is a breeze. Remember to drink all the water you can, take your supplements, and keep your carbs to 20 or under.

And don't forget those veggies...a good salad with some blue cheese or bacon bits...yummy.

Good luck...hang in here and let us know how you're doing.

#3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 17:45

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Amy,
Hang in there. I remember those feelings too the first time I was on induction. Believe me it is worth it. Good luck and as DD stated...drink your water.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 18:03

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Amy!

Yes, it's probably carb withdrawal. Your body is letting you know that it's not happy about having its carbs and sugar taken away and in a biological sort of way is having a bit of a tantrum. The worst of the symptoms should pass in 3-5 days and you may not feel nauseous the whole time; just rather tired and perhaps a bit lightheaded. Stick it out; it will be worth it in the end and try to make sure that you are getting as close to 20 grams of carb per day from veggies and such as you can. Oh...and don't forget your vitamins!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 18:05

Plan: Atkins pre-maintenance
Stats: 206/164/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 69%

Hi, Amy.

I had a helluva a time with induction symptoms. They do pass. I pretty much thought I was dying... but, in fact, I wasn't... just adjusting to fat-buring, as others have said here.

However... about the nausea. I find that if I drink a ton of water with my meal, or right after it, the nausea is very bad. I read somewhere that what might be happening is that I am diluting my gastric juices too much (I drink a LOT of water) and so digestion is not proceeding well, and thus, nausea. So now I drink water while I'm cooking, and maybe two glases with my meal and one right after, but that's it--I wait an hour before drinking more water (kind of like waiting to go swimming ).

Hope this helps.

Ann at Howcross Castle
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 18:30

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I am feeling a little better...maybe the combo of hunger and carb withdrawal. I will keep the hints about water in mind and chug along!

Thanks again!