Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 23:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Daikon Radish with Smoked Pork Hock

I was charmed by a very petite daikon radish yesterday - it only weighed about 6 oz. - and brought it home. I was sort of wondering how to cook it when I came across a home-smoked pork hock that a friend had given me. I diced a bit of it up and cut the daikon in 1-inch rounds. I put the pork and daikon in a pot and sprinkled it with half a thinly sliced shallot then added water to barely cover the daikon. I set it over low heat and let it cook away until the water had evaporated and the daikon was sizzling and browning in fat. I added a little sea salt and pepper and it was delicious.

It went well with the pork chop I was having for dinner. Pork with pork!

Daikon along with cauliflower can be one of your greatest allies.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 23:07.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 19:37

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

Sounds absolutely wonderful.

Sometimes I miss a little apple sauce with my pork, and I read somewhere that someone suggested making a sauce with apple cider vinegar in it, but I really don't think that tastes like apple.

Any other suggestions? Do you think if I mashed daikon and added a little (which I don't have at present) sugar free Torani's apple syrup that it would be a somewhat similar substitute?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 01:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Funny you should bring it up, I'm making a pork roast for dinner with friends tomorrow night and was going to get a jar of SF applesauce to go with it!

I've been in threads where people talk about cooking jicama or zucchini with SF cider mix to make a mock applesauce but I haven't tried it myself.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=66983

I used to make a beet and apple sauce that was quite delish and I forgot about it till you brought it up. 1/2 cup of cooked sliced beets is only 6.7 grams. and 1/2 an apple is 8.2 grams. so a Tbsp. would be just slightly under 1 gram. A Tbsp. of unsweetened applesauce is 1.5 grams.

If you do experiment, let us know how it goes.

Karen