Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:53

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Substitutes for pork rinds/nuts

This is a message for Karen, although I'd imagine there are lots of experienced lc cooks reading this who might have an idea or two for me:

I'm a CALPer who does not eat pork (or red meat/poultry, either, when it comes to that); I've been trying hard to eat sensibly within the CALP regimen without getting too crazy in the fats department. I'm cooking with olive oil, I eat approx. one egg (boosted with egg whites) per day, lots of good fish (incl. salmon), a small amount of cheese (say, 1 ounce cream/1 ounce hard) per day, and really no nuts/seeds to speak, except for a special occasion at my RM.

Anyway, I'd love to be able to try some of the pancake/crusty desserts I see that involve cream cheese/eggs/some fresh fruit, etc., but they all seem to have crushed pork rinds or pulverized nuts as the crust or flour part. I'd prefer using something that isn't pork or as fat-filled as nuts. Have you any other suggestions? For instance, if I were to oven-dry some mushrooms or zucchini and then crush them, would that work? Or something else?

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated!

Best, Sona
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Although I haven't tried it, I would recommend using small grained - or crushed, depending on the application - TVP in place of nuts or pork rinds.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 20:36.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 08:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Sona, for breadings, baking and crusting things, as well as for some really good pancakes, try besan (chickpea flour). If you can't get it in your local supermarket, try Indian or Asian markets, or Ethnic Grocer on the 'net. 1/4 cup (about 30g) has 17g carbs minus 2g fiber (15g net carbs) and 7g protein. It's also sometimes called Gram flour.

It has a very distinct, bean-y taste raw, but it's quite mellow and rich tasting when cooked. I've successfully used it in crusts, to dredge things before pan-searing, to thicken sauces, in l/c high protein biscuits and pizza crust, and to make pancakes/crepes. FMI on ways to use besan, check out Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook 'World Vegetarian.'